Sunday, December 06, 2020

{ The sweet joy of homemaking }

IMG_0193 

I have always been the biggest cheerleader of homemakers and homemaking in general. There is something so beautiful to me, in the act of keeping home. 
 
The importance as a homemaker, a wife, a mom, to take care of these four walls that we have been blessed with, is of utmost importance, not just for our families

But sometimes life gets a bit crazy and those things that we love doing, are forced to the side.  It's understandable, but anytime that happens, the moment I am able to get back to basics, so to speak, is like nothing I could ever describe.

IMG_0182

 I think about my days back in Arizona, where my children were little, my husband was active duty, and we just had this routine in place.  I was full on homemaker, every second, every minute of my day was spent taking care of my house, taking care of my children and husband.  I cooked, I cleaned, I baked, I grocery shopped and made decorations for our house.

 I loved it all so much, it's like I went to bed each night completely content and couldn't wait to get up the next morning, to get back it, to slip on that apron and go about my chores.

IMG_0187

Things are different now, so obviously I still am a homemaker and still do my chores and tasks around the house, but it's so different, so completely different than what it was before.

Every day that I am able to have a semblance of those days, years ago, I am filled with such joy and contentment.

It's almost like going home when you've been away for a long time.

IMG_0196

I was able to have a day such as that, just last week.  And oh how I grabbed onto it with both hands, and enjoyed every minute.

The simple act of vacuuming while the pets run around.  Stopping to play with Marley, cleaning, doing dishes and folding laundry.  

Oh but those are such mundane and boring tasks Sandra, how do you find any joy in that?

IMG_0201

I get it.  Homemaking has been frowned upon and as the decades have gone by, the thought of being a homemaker makes some cringe.  It's not cool enough, or popular enough.  It's sad, but it is the truth.

I look at my own daughter, she is 21 and not interested at all in any homemaking or anything to do with running a house.  Crazy, I know.  I always thought that my own daughter would want to follow in my steps, not necessarily to be a homemaker, but at the very least, to love taking care of the house, or show interest in some way.  She doesn't.  

That used to bother me at first, I felt almost betrayed.  Ha!

If there's one thing God has taught me, is that, whether we agree or disagree with the choices our children make, it is THEIR choices.  Just because I love everything to do with homemaking, doesn't mean my children have to feel the same way.  It's ok!

IMG_0206

What I do know is that we ourselves, as a society, have created and accepted such a negative look on homemaking, that our children can't help but be swayed by the majority.

I only wish schools still offered Home Economics and Wood Shop like they did back in our day.  Personally, I think every school kid could benefit from those.

IMG_0205

Times are just different, and that is fine, but there are things we should continue to incorporate into our lives.  Things that are just as important today as they were decades ago.

I don't think I will ever tire of being a homemaker.  I'm pretty sure God ingrained that in my DNA, from the moment of conception.  

So, I've been trying very hard to get back to what matters.  And yes, every moment that I spend doing anything cleaning or organizing or cooking, even decorating in my home, I am so happy to do it.  It actually brings me peace, weird to say, but it does.

Today, I am pottering around the house a bit, I do want to get some Christmas decorating done, and still need to get a tree.  But, I also want to watch a few Christmas movies with the family, so hopefully, I am able to do that.

 Whatever I choose to do today, one thing is for sure, I will do it with a happy heart and a joyful soul.

1 comment:

Mary Mc said...

Hi Sandra, thank you for this post. It really hits home. Mary Mc