Friday, August 10, 2007

It's Friday and it's My Birthday!!!!

UPDATE: I was just saying that there was nothing memorable about this day, nothing that would stick out in my mind. Boy was I proven wrong. A few hours after I wrote this post, I got a phone call, my heart is breaking and I'm sad and completely distraught, my uncle passed away. I loved him to death, I can't even begin to express how heartbreaking this is for me, and on my birthday, there's just no words. He leaves behind a wonderful wife and a sweet sweet 3 year old girl. Please send some prayers their way and for the rest of my family too, this was my dad's brother and I know that his heart is breaking too along with my grandmother's.

Uncle Carlos, I know that you're in heaven and I know that you're in a better place but we will never be the same without you, you have left a hole in our hearts that will never be replaced. I love you and I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm going to miss you. The heavens have won another angel but we've lost an important part of our lives.



Today is my 33rd birthday and although I reached a point a couple years ago, more like 10 years ago or so, where I don't get excited about birthdays, for some reason this one has me a little freaked out.

There really isn't anything exciting about turning 33, other than being a year older and lot wiser....well wait, I guess the wiser part could be the exciting thing??? But this one of those birthday's where you don't find a special section at your local Hallmark, and you don't hear anyone talking excitedly about turning 33 and the big bash they're about to have. It just IS!!!

It's quite frightening thinking that there's no going back to 20 or 21 years old and then I start to wonder just what exactly could be coming my way. What does life hold for me, by this time next year, will I still be sitting in the same chair, on the same computer, at the same time and blogging about how pathetic I was complaining about turning 33 when now I'm turning 34??? Will I be healthy or sick, have the same circle of friends, have finally gone back home to South Africa to see my family????

If you let yourself start wondering and asking the what if's, you may as well book a bed in the nearest asylum because that's where you will end up. So I'm taking the high road, I'm just going to sit back and let it play out, just enjoy the day (it's one like any other for me, except for the birthday presents), eat cake which my thighs are already having a party of their own at the anticipation of another slice of heavenly rich cake being ingested.

Oh make no mistake, there WILL be cake and not one made by me either, not that I wouldn't do it but hubby refuses to let me bake my own cake so he's getting me one.

I was sitting here trying to remember what I've learnt the past 33 years and I'm typing this and I've got tears in my eyes. Has that ever happened to you?? You don't even know why you're starting to cry, you just are. I must the most emotional person on earth, good grief.

There's been ups and downs and joys and heartaches but everything that I've gone through has made me the woman I am today and for that I'm thankful and I'm blessed. The Lord has had a firm grip on me from a very young age and he does let me stray but it's only to show me that I can't do it all on my own.........the minute I become complacent that's it, it's like a warning sign ringing out in my head "You're heading for a fall, You're heading for a fall....wake up wake up". And yet, just like a child who's been told over and over not to do something, I just do it allllllll over again LOL

But anyway, I've had a good life, I have a wonderful husband and children, I have the best family in the world who I love more than life itself, the best parents and stepparents and grandparents and brothers and sisters (I consider my sisters in law my actual sisters) and nieces and nephews and dogs and allergies and unmanageable hair and 33 year old thighs........you get the point!!!

So anyway, I'm going to have a normal day with my kids, eat cake, open presents and just hang out. Hope you all have a wonderful day, and have some drinks for me!!!

25 comments:

Kelli said...

***Happy Birthday, Sandra!!!!**** It sounds like you have the best kind of birthday planned, surrounded by your loving family and things you love!
Hugs,
Kelli

Anonymous said...

I WISH YOU A HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
HUGGIES,TASHA

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Happy Birthday Sandra!!! Hope you have a wonderful day celebrating :)

Mari said...

Happy Birthday Sandra - I think you are a wise 33 years old! Have a great day.

Jen said...

Happy Birthday to you..Happy Birthday to you....Happy Birthday dear Sandra....Happy Birthday to you.....You are so blessed....and I think your a great friend whom I hope to keep in touch with for years....

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Happy Birthday, Sandra! That's nice that on this day you remember you're many blessings. Have a great day with your family, just hanging out. That is my kind of day!

Eden said...

I wish you a very, Very, VERY Happy Birthday, Sandra!!! Have a great day!

Hugs,
Eden

Mommin' It Up! said...

This is my first visit to your blog. What a great first impression. I have 26 days until I am 30 and this gave me a lot of good things to think about. :)

Ladybug said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Sandra, Happy Birthday to you....

someone else said...

Happy Birthday Sandra!! I hope your day has been perfection so far. Enjoy that cake!

Courtney said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY DEAR FRIEND!!!!
Beauitful post! Hope you have a great day!

Betsy said...

Happy Birthday to you!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Happy Birthday Sandra! Hope your day was great and your new year even better!

-Andrea

Michelle said...

Happy 33rd birthday! That's how I feel about my birthday anymore - it's really just another day and nothing to get too excited over! LOL

Anonymous said...

I came over to wish you a very Happy Birthday, Sandra!! But first I have to tell you how very sorry I am to hear about your Uncle... what a terrible loss for all of you... prayers going up for his family, too.

I just turned 33 and I agree with all your thoughts on our age. I feel pretty much the same way!!

P. said...

Parabéns a você
nesta data querida
muitas felicidades
muitos anos de vida.

Hoje é dia de festa
cantam as nossas almas
para a menina Sandra
uma salva de palmas.

EEEEEEEEHHHHH....
(palmas, palmas...)

Anonymous said...

awww im really sorry to hear abt your lost . an i will keep you and your family in my prayers.tasha

smilnsigh said...

I'm so sorry that you got heartbreaking news, on your Birthday especially.

"I'm just going to sit back and let it play out, just enjoy the day"

No better plan for a Birthday. Or for any day. Take it from me, Hon. Your ol' Net Auntie or Net Nana or whatever ~ looking back doesn't help at all. Nor does too much looking forward. We all need to do prudent planning of course. And then ... just let life flow.

The days will come and go, no matter how much worrying we do, or how much planning we do. Try to enjoy each day as it comes along. Spoken from the vantage point of someone who's a lot farther down the trail, than you.

Hugsss Hon,
Mari-Nanci

Leann said...

first let me say sorry to hear about your uncle.but as you say he is safe with Jesus.and he is not hurting or sad he does not want any of you to cry for him.

yes you will miss him.but he gave him self to you all.he is in your heart I can hear the love you have for him.so I know he was a good man.people dont miss the other kind.
he is in your heart so he isnt really gone.
Jesus takes good care of our loved ones tell we get there.and then nothing or no one can ever take them away from us again.

Happy Birthday to you,Happy Birthday to you.
O do I wish I were 33 again and know what I know now.Id have a better life then I do now.
33 is young my dear.I am 57.
enjoy the years ahead they are what you make them...

Jen said...

I'm so sorry friend. The angels are singing.....

Kelli said...

Sandra, I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. This is such sad news for your entire family. I will be praying for you.
(((((hugs))))).
Kelli

Annie said...

Aw Happy Birthday Sandra! Your day is one day after mine! But, you'll always be a little younger than me :o(
I always get bummed out the days after my birthday. wierd huh?

I haven't forgotten about SCT, I just haven't tried anything new lately to post. I think it is the hot weather that keeps me from slow cooking as much... I did try the 40 garlic chicken but it was already posted. It was yummy!

Hope you are having a lovely extended birthday weekend with tons of birthday blessings.

love,
Annie

Annie said...

p.s. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

hi sandra, first of all a very Happy Birthday to you and hope that you have a great day, and next i am so sorry to hear about your uncles passing. my heart goes out to you and your family, and last my daughters co-worker and her husband are moving to Port Elizabeth South Africa to live. He has a job with the new Alcan plant they are building there. we are all so sad to say good bye to them but wish them well in their adventure. Happy Birthday wishes Sandra, my girls are 31 and soon to be 34. take care

Mari said...

My prayers and sympathy on your loss.