Sunday, July 09, 2006

AND THE DREAM IS OVER......


we didn't get to the finals and we didn't get third place. What can we do?!?!?! Nothing, just move on and say "Nice Job Portugal, you did awesome and we're proud of what you achieved".

Last night while sleeping I was awakened by Jasmine.

Jasmine - Mommy Mommy wake up, I have something to show you!
Me - (looking at the clock, it's 10:30pm) What, what, what happened?!?!?
Jasmine - Look, I lost my tooth, it was loose so I pulled and twisted it and it came out.
Me - Oh great (man I hope I have money in my wallet), that's great honey.
Jasmine - Wonder what the tooth fairy is going to bring me, I better go put it under my pillow.
Me - Yeah you go do that baby. (really, do I have change in my wallet?)

Yep, the "Tooth Fairy" is at it again. Why can't this happen on payday or right after, that's usually when I carry money around in my wallet. I've gotten so used to paying cash for everything and only carrying what I need, that I seldom have spare change laying around.
For some reason, that seems to be the time that teeth choose to fall out in this house. I'm happy to say though, that the tooth fairy did indeed drop by and left $2 under her pillow. In this house, two dollars is a LOT of money.

So I'm sitting here, I have a hot cup of coffee ( I know, I drink too much of that stuff), and I have a headache to go along with it. I would have much preferred a nice donut, or some toast even, but I got something else. Oh well, nothing some tylenol can't cure.

Yesterday while blog surfing, and reading some of my favorites, I came across some portuguese blogs. I love reading them not just because I get to see pictures of places I've lived and remember good times I had, but it also helps me keep my portuguese from turning into PORTINGLES, which is a mixture of portuguese and english together. NOT PRETTY I tell you.

Back in 1988, we had moved from South Africa to Portugal, and we were living in S. Joao do Estoril. It was one of those small towns close to the beach, and I remember my brothers and I going to the beach many times during the week. It was within walking distance, so we would go in the morning and be back for lunch. This is a picture of "Praia da Poca", which we would go to, it was also pretty close to Cascais which had a lot of tourists during the summer months.



Some of the things that stuck in my mind, from those days, were the variety of people we would see at the beach, the smell of tanning lotion, the sound of families having fun, the wonderful smell coming from the beachfront restaurant located just above us and the sweet frozen ice creams that they would sell, I still remember the guy walking up and down the beach with a cooler, going from person to person, yelling "Gelados". Fond fond memories!!!

I don't know what it is about Sundays that always gets me thinking about places I've been, things I've seen, my childhood etc. It's great to go back in time and remember all those things.
I'm extremely lucky and blessed, to have gone to so many wonderful cities and countries, and to have so many memories to share with you all.......I know you're probably not interested at all, but they mean a lot to me!

You know what it also reminded me of???? The times that I enjoyed taking care of myself and always looking my best. Why is it that the minute some of us become moms, we let ourselves go??? No longer do we worry about wearing sexy underwear, we wear whatever is most comfortable and at times it doesn't even match.
I no longer have long beautiful french manicured nails.......they've been replaced by short ones with no nail polish.
My hair experiences consist of a $2 Walmart color that I apply myself because it's cheaper......and the last time I had a haircut, I asked my hubby to do it for me. Nothing extravagant, just trim the back.
Let's not even mention the clothes, the baggier the better, why would I wear something nice at home???

I'm tired of it though, I'm tired of not feeling like a woman. So today I'm making a contract with myself, to look and to feel better. I'm no longer going to put myself last. I will dress to impress, just as I did when we first got married. I will make sure I put on my makeup in the morning, brush my hair and even go to the hairdressed......and while I'm there, I will have my eyebrows done AND get my french manicure. I will wear sexy underwear, I think my husband deserves that. I will no longer put back the nice jeans or the nice top just to grab a pair of ultra comfortable sweat pants or baggy tshirt. That's IT, no more frumpy mommy.....from now on, it's back to FUNKY MAMA!!! It's a gift to myself, right before I turn 32 years old.
Any other moms want to join me???

First order of business for myself today??? I'm going through my closet and getting rid of frumpy-not-so-nice-clothes. Yes Yes I know, I have stuff to do around the house and kids to chase after, but nothing tells me that I can't do while wearing a nice pair of jeans and a cute top right???

Well I'm off to go find Funky Mama, I haven't seen her in years so it might take me a while to track her down, but believe me, I WILL!!! LOL


11 comments:

Angie said...

I am so with ya on this one. Being as I am already doing WW, this should go well with it, huh? I think that if Momma feels good about herself then everyone will benefit. Agree?
I am really gonna do this with you! Thanks for encouraging me to do so! Hugs!

Charla said...

You're so on target with this Sandra. We do need to feel good about ourselves. We take care of the house and kids, and constently give up the little things for ourselves so the kids can have what they want, but we deserve to be pampered once in a while too. I'm so guilty of doing this. I'm still wearing some clothes from several years ago. I'm gonna try to do more for myself! :) Thank you for all your wonderful posts!

Love ya,
Charla

tara said...

not too sure how i got to your blog, but i started reading and funny thing is that i also lived in portugal for a few years. i meat my husband there and weve gone back to visit quite a few times. i lived in carnaxide, right outside of lisbon but went to estoril at least a few times a week for the beach or leasurly stroll (shopping). anyway, it was fun to see a familiar site in your pics!

Looney Mom™ said...

Well I just got a haircut and I'll be coloring it in a few days. I've decided I need to start working out again - made a really lame attempt last week. The hardest part is just getting started.

About the tooth fairy thing... just wait until she finds out who the toothy fairy really is!

rena said...

You go girl! There's something uplifting about looking and feeling good, and while that might sound shallow, it's simply true. Besides, we need the pampering and treating outselves. So, go for it! You, like every other hard working mom out there, deserves it.

Anonymous said...

It's great to know a little bit about Portugal. Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture of Praia da Poca. What is actually? What's the meaning of it?

About the football team... hope we'll see them again in 2010's South Africa! :)

MaR said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MaR said...

oops, too many typos! let's try this again:

I will be in Lisboa for the first time in sept, so I am looking for tips, thanks for yours!
And go for it! it is very important to take care of ourselves. Read a book once which made you list all people you have to take care of. Turning the page they would ask you: did you include yourself on that list???
Always remember that!
No more World Cup games...until the Europe Cup begins...!!! :D

Diane Viere said...

Way to go girl! It IS important to take care of ourselves! However, having said that--my husband just noticed last night that my hair is two colors! He said, "Interesting;did you know that the top of your hair is a different color than the bottom?" Well....guess it's time for a root color! I've been avoiding the process of highlighting for weeks now...as it is summer time after all and I don't want to sit in a chair inside for two hours! Better get-'ir done!

:) Diane

Sandra said...

Angie - Yay for you and WW....I just don't have the courage to do it LOL You're so right, if I feel good about myself, then I'll be able to do my job better. I'm glad you're going to do this with me :)

charla - I am too guilty of the same, I have clothes from years ago that I wear, and always pass up on buying a nice outfit because I think I have nowhere to wear it since I'm a SAHM. No more, now I'm going to dress nicely everyday : Love ya girl, hope you're having a great day :)

tara - I'm glad you found my blog :) I've added you to my blogroll, just read some of your entries and loved it, especially the catalog guy LOL Nice meet someone who has been in Portugal too and in the places I lived :)

liz - LOL I'm dreading her finding out just for fear that she may expect MORE LOL I can't wait to see your new hairstyle and color :)

mugwumpmom - Isn't it true? I've noticed that if I'm looking frumpy, that's the way I feel that day and everyone suffers for it LOL

aurora - Glad you enjoyed the picture :) The meaning of Praia da Poca is actually Puddle Beach, Poca meaning a puddle. It was a really small beach, but we just loved it :) Can't wait for the next World Cup LOL

mar - I'm so jealous, last time I was in in Lisbon was back in 1994, man I miss it :) Hope you have a great time there :) See I would have done the same thing, I would have listed everyone but myself....that's why I need to make a change and fast.

Diane - LOL my husband said the same thing to me a few weeks ago "Hey hon, I see gray hairs again", which had me running to the door to go color my hair. :)

Michelle said...

I read this last night before heading to bed and thought how right you are! I noticed this about myself after I had Kayla and became a SAHM. My 'work' clothes never seemed to leave the closet! Before I actually got down to wearing sweats I pulled myself together and said "self! No more wearing baggy, shapeless tshirts and faded old jeans!" Time to look "hip" and instyle LOL So I went out and bought a bunch of "nice" tops - no more tshirts with logos on them for me! Joe would ask "where are you going today?" or "why are you so dressed up?" But lately I've felt myself slipping back again - if I don't have plans to go anywhere I think why get "dressed up" and where this nice shirt? No one is going to see me anyway! Thanks for the reminder to do nice by ourselves!