Monday, September 16, 2013

Freud's Mistress by - TLC Book Tour

http://tlcbooktours.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Freuds-Mistress.jpg

Freud's Mistress by Karen Mack and Jennifer Kauffman
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (July 9, 2013)

A page-turning novel inspired by the true-life love affair between Sigmund Freud and his sister-in-law, Minna Bernays, set in Vienna in 1895. Minna is everything her sister Martha is not—intellectually curious, an avid reader and a beguiling beauty. She and Freud embark on what is at first simply an intellectual courtship, yet something deeper is brewing beneath the surface, something Minna cannot escape.

In this sweeping tale of love, loyalty, and betrayal—between a husband and a wife, between sisters—fact and fiction seamlessly blend together to offer an intimate peek at Minna’s profound influence on the founding father of psychoanalysis, while revealing her unforgettable story of internal conflict and passion.

Karen Mack and Jennifer Kaufman c. Firooz Zahedi

Freud’s Mistress is the third novel by Karen Mack and Jennifer Kaufman. Their first novel, Literacy and Longing in L.A., reached #1 on the Los Angeles Times Bestseller List and won the Best Fiction Award from the Southern California Independent Booksellers Association. Their second novel, A Version of the Truth, was also a Los Angeles Times bestseller. Freud’s Mistress is their first historical novel. Karen Mack, a former attorney, is a Golden Globe Award-winning film and television producer. Jennifer Kaufman is a former staff writer for the Los Angeles Times and a two-time winner of the national Penney-Missouri Journalism Award. Both authors live in Los Angeles with their families.

Find out more about Karen and Jennifer at their website, and connect with them on Facebook.

My thoughts:

Sigmund Freud is a name that I have heard my whole life, but truthfully speaking, I never really knew much about him.  Certainly didn't know anything about his affair with his sister in law Minna.

I love learning about famous historical figures and especially if the book is well written and keeps me in the moment.

I think from the get go I disliked both Freud and Minna, and mainly because I felt disgusted with the affair between them, seeing as Martha is Minna's sister and Freud's wife.  But the characters themselves left a lot to be desired, they weren't exactly people you felt sorry for or wanted to root for.  Matter of fact, I kept trying to find some redeemable quality in either of them, but I couldn't, and it just reaffirmed the fact that these were perfectly imperfect human beings, perfectly suited for each other.

The one thing that bothered me to no end was the indirect hint to the fact that Martha knew all about their affair but yet nothing happened.

What this book does though is give you a fascinating and descriptive insight into Vienna and the life of this well known man, which in turn propelled me to do some researching of my own into Freud, his life and his theories.

I tell you what though, the authors did a fantastic job of researching Sigmund Freud.

If you love historical fiction, if you love learning about famous figures that have impacted the world in some way, you will most definitely enjoy reading this one.

Thank you to TLC Book Tours for providing me with a review copy.



3 comments:

A GAL NEEDS... said...

I never was a fan of Sigmund Freud and not surprised that he spurned all morality and had a hook up with his wife's own sister. I'm surprised that America doesn't see through his rationalization for doing what feels good and masking it as scientifically supported research. I think he is the biggest charlatan that ever existed. Thanks for the review!

Susanne said...

We had to study Frued in college but I don't recall knowing this little tidbit about him. I don't think I could get through this story about his affair. I'm reading a fiction book based on history called "The Aviator's Wife" about Anne Morrow Lindbergh and her life with Charles Lindbergh. I think you'd totally find that an interesting read.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I love learning about different historical times through books like this - it is my favorite part of historical fiction!

Thanks for being on the tour.

- Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours