Saturday, July 06, 2019

Great barbecue and a walk at the park

_MG_5513

The long weekend is almost at an end, and I feel as if I haven't yet had a chance to rest or breathe.  But in a good way, because it's been packed to the brim with family, food, and walks in the warm sunshine.

_MG_5504

Thursday we had Curt's family over for a barbecue.  I took over the barbecue and the food preparation and as much as I enjoy just sitting down to chat and catch up, I always feel that my job as the hostess is to make sure that everything is running smoothly, people have food, drinks and anything else they may need.



_MG_5503

The barbecue was a success, we had delicious food.  I made some Cheddar and Bacon burgers, Jalapeno and Cheddar and Garlic Swiss sausages, some Ono's Hawaiian Grilled Chicken, potato salad, deviled eggs, hummus dip and a Key Lime Pie.  My mother in law brought a salad, and Curt's aunt and cousin brought fruit and veggie platters.

_MG_5502

Everyone raved about the food, which makes me happy because I love cooking and feeding people, so to know that what you cooked is enjoyed, is wonderful.

_MG_5500

The hummus dip was a big hit, and everyone wanted the recipe.  Speaking of recipes, I AM working on posting them to the food blog, and I should have them up after this post goes live.

_MG_5507

Another big hit was this Frozen Key Lime Pie.  It was SO good, oh my word!!!  Perfect summer dessert for your get togethers.

Yesterday the boys and I dropped Jasmine off at work and then drove around a bit, stopped at a few local parks and walked for a little, just enjoying the beautiful sunny afternoon.

_MG_5510

_MG_5511

_MG_5512

I'm not gonna lie, it was hot.  It is summer for sure here in Texas, and that means triple digits and heat paired with humidity that just seems to completely take your breath away.

You know I never used to understand the difference between dry heat and heat with humidity, until I lived in both Arizona and Texas, and there's definitely a big difference.

_MG_5515

_MG_5517

_MG_5519

There's something about going outside for a walk in a beautiful park.  Quite often we are so caught up on our daily routines and going from home to work, or to the shops and back, that we tend to forget that there is beauty all around us.  You don't need to go out and spend a ludicrous amount of money, on the weekends, to enjoy time with your family.

_MG_5520

_MG_5522

_MG_5525

Oh it's just a walk at the park!!!  True, it is, but fresh air does wonders for the soul and mind.  Sometimes even just sitting at the water's edge, watching the ducks, listening to the birds, and feeling the warm sun on your back.

_MG_5541

_MG_5547

Today has been spent mainly indoors.  Even though it's been a long weekend, I haven't had time for housework and laundry, and so I've been getting caught up on that.

I'm such a homebody so even though I enjoy going outdoors and doing something fun, I always love the moments when I'm in my home, with my family and having a slow day.

I've got dinner in the pressure cooker at the moment, I completely forgot that I was preparing a slow cooked meal for dinner, so thankful for the instant pot.

Tomorrow will be yet another home day and I am looking forward to that.  I actually plan on doing a post about the true stories of life below stairs, the differences between the lives of the servants in the big manors and so on.  I've recently watched some documentaries and did some research and I find it fascinating.

Thought it would be something you all would enjoy too.  I may do that post tomorrow, not sure yet, so we will have to play it by ear.

Well my friends, I hope you're all enjoyed the long weekend with your family and that you've had a wonderful 4th of July.

I better get on out of here and check on dinner.  :)

2 comments:

Pamela said...

What a great 4th! I'm glad to be back to blogging - Christmas in July is a great way to start - and I'm looking forward to reconnecting with my friends in the blogsphere as I get around to reading their posts.

Janine at ThriveOnOneIncome.com said...

Nice summer pictures!