Thursday, July 18, 2019

Vegetables and Herbs you can regrow


I have taken to gardening like a fish takes to water.

I used to hear people going on about gardening and how much they loved it, how relaxing it was and so on, and I couldn't understand why.

Couldn't make the connection, and I think it was mostly due to the fact that I've always found my gardening experiences to be stressful and frustrating, but now that things are growing and I'm seeing the rewards of my hard work, I get it.

I find myself wanting to be out in the garden as much as possible, weeding, watering, fixing, planting and planning.  I have sooooo many ideas and so many plans for the back yard, I can't wait to get it all going, and I'll share with you as I go, of course.




【Regrowing Vegetables】

I've mentioned this many times before, but the day that I found out you could regrow pretty much every vegetable you buy at the store, was absolutely life changing.  Yes I still purchase vegetables, at least for the moment, because my garden is not yet fully sustainable and I'm still just starting.

But, my plan is to plant and grow the vegetables we most eat so that I don't have to rely on store bought, worry about chemicals and know exactly what is going from soil to table.

Curt and I plan on getting a bigger garden going on the side of our back yard, and that's something that we will start on this weekend.  With that in mind, I have started regrowing some stuff inside which will then be transplanted into the garden when the time is right.

I'm going to tell you about some vegetables that can be regrown.  As I get mine going, I'll continually share with you their progress.

🅻🅴🆃🆃🆄🅲🅴::::  Lettuce is one of the easiest vegetable to regrow.  Cut off the bottom 2 inches, place in water.  You don't want the whole piece in water, just basically the very bottom of the lettuce.  After 5 to 7 days it will grow roots, you can then transfer to soil.  When you plant in soil, you want to make sure only the roots and bottom of lettuce are covered.  (same process can be applied to bok choy, celery, cabbage, iceberg and romaine lettuce)

_MG_5651


🅶🆁🅴🅴🅽 🅾🅽🅸🅾🅽🆂::::  Just like the lettuce and most of the veggies you'll regrow, cut off about two inches on the bottom.  Place in a bowl with water and leave for about 5 to 7 days.  Soon you will see the green onions starting to regrow.  You can either transfer them to a bigger jar and leave them in the water, or you can transfer to soil as well.  If leaving in jar, make sure to change water often.  If transferring to soil, make sure to only plant the roots and bottom of onions, leaving the shoots well above.  (the same process can be applied to leeks, scallions and fennel)

_MG_5653

🅾🅽🅸🅾🅽🆂:::: Cut off the bottom inch of onion, at the roots.  Plant in a sunny location and completely cover with soil.  Water as needed.  You can also start the onion root in water, it will take about 3 days to start sprouting roots and at that point, you can transfer to soil.  You can also leave it in water for about 2 weeks to get bigger roots, and at this point the top of the onion will also start regrowing, and THEN transfer to the garden.

_MG_5664



【Regrowing Fruits】

🅲🅷🅴🆁🆁🅸🅴🆂::::  Remove the pits from the cherries, rinse and dry.  Place on one half of a paper towel, fold the other half of the towel over.  Place the towel in a tupperware, spritz with water, cover and place in refrigerator until it sprouts.  Transfer to soil. (same process for apples and pears, remove seeds, and follow directions like with cherries)


🅻🅴🅼🅾🅽🆂::::  Remove seeds, rinse but do not dry, you want them wet.  Plant in soil, cover with a little more soil.  Water and then cover with either plastic wrap or the bottom part of a soda bottle that you've cut.  Keep soil moist and keep in a warm spot.


 【Regrowing Herbs】

_MG_5668


🅼🅸🅽🆃::::You want a cutting about 3 inches tall.  Remove all the bottom leaves from the stem, then place in a jar with water.  Put the jar on a windowsill and wait for them to sprout roots.  Once the roots are about 2 inches tall, transfer to soil.  Keep in mind that mint will take over your garden, like a weed.  I don't have an issue with this as I love mint, but if you do, then keep that in mind when planning where you'll be planting it.

_MG_5665

🅱🅰🆂🅸🅻::::exactly the same process as for the mint above. 

_MG_5667

🆁🅾🆂🅴🅼🅰🆁🆈::::same process as mint and basil

_MG_5666

I will be using the same technique for cilantro, although not sure if that will take, but we will certainly try.

I'm waiting to go grocery shopping again to pick up a few more veg, fruit and herbs that I will be regrowing as well.   I will show you when I start the process, but these are on my list:

Strawberries
Apple
Pear
Ginger
Potatoes
Garlic
Green peppers
Lemons
Cilantro

I hope this has helped you or inspired you to make use of your kitchen scraps.  Even if you don't have a patio or backyard, you can still grow veggies and herbs in pots out on the balcony or windowsill.

If you already regrow your own, let me know in the comments below, I'm eager to know what else y'all are growing in your gardens.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Mint definitely over your garden, it sends out tap roots horizontally and chokes everything else out. After planting one mint plant in a garden, I spent two years chopping the roots and pulling them out to retake control of my little patch of space. I would recommend that anyone restrict mint to pots, maybe even to the clay strawberry pots that have the little openings all around them. That is the option I decided to take so I could enjoy fresh mint once again.

Sandra said...

Good advice Mary, I have since moved my mint to a different spot in the garden, because of that same reason. I don't mind it being in a spot in the garden that is far from my other plants, but I certainly don't want it killing my tomatoes, peppers and cantaloupe. Thank you for your advice Mary ;)