Tuesday, February 16, 2021

{ Historic Winter Storm }

February 16, 2021
 
I am sitting here with my cup of coffee, staring out the window at the beautiful white blanket of snow.  
 
I've always loved snow, always loved winter, but even I have to say, I'm ready for this all to melt and for Spring to spring forth.

It's been a cold past few days.  Actually, let me rephrase that, it's been a frigid bitterly cold past few days.

I know many of you are in the same boat, watching the same snow, enduring the same bitter temperatures from inside your warm homes.

February 16, 2021 

Snow is not something we get often in our area.  Truthfully, when we do, it's nothing like this, at all.

It will snow for about an hour and then melt right away.  This?  This has even surprised the meteorologists.  They're calling it an Historic Winter Storm, the likes of which have not been seen in our State.  Yesterday we set record low temperatures.  Goodness!!!

February 16, 2021 February 16, 2021 

We set out food for the outside animals, as best as we could. 
 
The snow came down hard, blowing all over the place and leaving snowdrifts that left us scratching our heads in amazement. 
 
We were told to prepare for a huge storm, to prepare for power outages and below freezing wind chills of -30.  In Texas, IN.TEXAS!!! 

Our wonderful Lord kept us protected and we didn't lose power, although there are millions of people in our State without power at the moment.  My prayers have been constant, for my family and I, but for everyone in the path of this weather, and especially those without electricity.  

February 16, 2021 February 16, 2021 

It broke my heart to see the birds out there. They were trying so hard to get out of the blustering snow. They would sit up against the walls of the house, against the fences and under anything they could find.  If it were up to me, I would have opened my doors and brought them all in.  

February 16, 2021 February 16, 2021 February 16, 2021 February 16, 2021 

Within a few hours, everything was blanketed in white. It looked like the movies, blowing snow, high winds. I've never seen anything like it, not even when we lived in Idaho. 
 
Marley was so happy playing outside. He loves snow and anytime we get some that sticks, he is immediately at the door barking to get out. It's so cute watching him running, jumping and munching at the snow on the ground. 
 
February 16, 2021 February 16, 2021 February 16, 2021 
 
We woke up yesterday to blue skies, but the bitter cold still remains. And now? We are hunkering down and preparing for the next snow storm that is incoming this afternoon. It is supposed to drop another 6 inches of snow. Work and school has been cancelled the past 2 days, and I'm not sure how it will be tomorrow, since we have a 30% chance of snow for then too. 
 
It feels so strange even talking about a Winter storm in our area.  
 
We've been indoors, keeping busy, relaxing, reading, watching movies, eating yummy food and spending time together.  
 
I actually made food and some sandwiches to have on hand, in case our power went out.  It helps to prepare as much as you can, but it's also good to keep in mind that no matter what happens, we can sort it out and get through as best as we can.
 
If I have to cook in the fireplace, then I will.  My family actually started laughing and were saying that if it came down to it, I would just bring forth everything I have learned over the years, about the Amish and the pioneer way of life.  My son said "if anyone can do this, it's you, and I'm sure you'll be smiling from ear to ear."  Hahaha

He is not wrong.  I think that we can always learn from our ancestors and days gone by.  We don't have to worry about any of these things on a day to day basis, but when times like these come around, it's good to know that we have the skills and the knowledge to get by .

Anyway, I am going to finish this post up.  I need to read my Bible and my devotional for today, I'll also be crocheting some more, reading my next book for review, and hopefully watch some period dramas on the TV.

Ohhhh one of you had asked me where to watch All Creatures Great and Small.  I watch it on PBS.  It is also where I'll be watching Beecham House, Miss Scarlet and the Duke and a few other great ones.  Give it a try, you should be able to find it on your local TV channels or at the PBS website online.

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone and thank you for dropping by my little corner of the world.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Bom dia a todos que a paz do Senhor Jesus Cristo estejam com todos vcs e cura para o mundo inteiro amém 🙏❤️🙌. Gratidão por mais um dia de vida e felicidades ❤️🌹💕

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We were slammed with snow. I posted pictures today. Today it's bitter cold. Stay warm!

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Hi Sandra, Oh, I feel sorry for the birds, too. They look so cold. I hope they make it. Chickens huddle together. Thank goodness you have power, that makes all the difference.

Coisas de Feltro said...

Olá. Algo no seu blog me fez parar e ler. E curiosamente vi que é portuguesa. Vou ficar por cá, na forma de seguidora (ok, sem foto, apareço lá no fundo do painel de comentadores).

keep safe
xoxo

Tina said...

Luke 12:24. I’m glad y’all are ok. I hope that has continued to present. When we built our house, I had my husband weld me a special grate that I can use in our fireplace. We can still have a descent fire and it’s very adjustable for what I want to cook.