Tuesday, February 09, 2021

{ Upcoming Period Dramas for 2021 }

 It has been a while since I've done one of these, but there are so many good upcoming British period dramas, for this year, that I felt I had to share.  I know there are many period drama loving friends out there, who will no doubt enjoy this list.

If you're like me, you've pretty much watched all the period series, documentaries and movies, that have been out there.  There are never enough though, right?  So when new ones start popping up, it's always exciting and something to look forward to.
 
 

The first one I'll mention is All Creatures Great and Small, mainly because I just watched the first Season on PBS, not too long ago.  

There will be a second season and it looks like we will have to wait until the end of the year, but it's still great news knowing there is a continuation.
 



Becoming Elizabeth

Another one that I'm looking forward to.  It is going to tell the story of Elizabeth's early years, which I think is fascinating since we don't always get to hear about her younger years and the struggles she endured after the death of her father.

It will release on STARZ towards the end of 2021.
 
 


Call the Midwife Season 10

Oohhh I'm so glad this series is still around and still going strong.  It is one of my favorite period series to watch.

It will air on BBC One early this year and then later on in the US on PBS, as always.



Leonardo 

Oh my word, ok, so you know how much I loved Poldark and especially Aidan Turner.  Well, he is now playing the main role in the new mini series called Leonardo, which tells the life of Leonardo da Vinci.

The trailer is already out, and it looks so good.    It is another STARZ show that is set to air in the early part of 2021.

 

 


Miss Austen 
 
Right....of all the series coming up, I think this one is the one I am most excited about.  Love Jane Austen, love anything related to Jane Austen.  
 
It is set in 19th century England and this time it follows Jane Austen's older sister, Cassandra.  We get to learn more about her, who she was, what she thought and felt and we also get to see a bit of Jane here and there as she talks about her memories.

Super excited to see this series.  
 



The Winter King 

Here is another great sounding one.  It seems that they are taking a lot of great books and making them into series or movies.

The Winter King is a book series by Bernard Cornwell, about King Arthur.  Epix is adapting the books into a tv series which will air sometime this year.




A column of Fire

Another book turned series.  I am a huge fan of Ken Follet and loved his Pillars of the Earth and World without End books AND tv series.  I wish the series had been longer.  But, seems that his third book in the series, A Column of Fire, is now also being picked up by Epix and made into a tv show.  

It will also air sometime this year on Epix, here in the US.


There are many many more upcoming period dramas, and as I find out more about them, I'll be sure to share them with you.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

I so enjoy these series! You have a great post here.

Mari said...

Lots of good ones here! I love Call the Midwife, and I too love Jane Austen so that sounds good too!

Bobbing Along said...

I loved watching the remake of All Creatures Great and Small and I can also watch the original series with Christopher Timothy. I only live about 1 1/2 hours from the World of James Herriot in Yorkshire and as soon as I can then I plan to visit there and take my Mum as she is also a big fan. I also enjoy Call the Midwife but can't always get to watch it when it is on over the last few years.