Thursday, March 24, 2022

{ What has really been going on with me }

IMG_2825

I've been feeling very unmotivated again, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.  I prayed on it, over and over, asking God to enlighten me, to show me what is going on and why I feel this way.  It seems I've been feeling like this for a while.

But, I think I finally realized what is going on, with the help of God and my husband and children.  
 
See, this started last year around this time, when Marley first got sick.  I went months walking around like a zombie, taking my sweet boy back and forth from the Vet, trying to figure out what was wrong.  

Then he got diagnosed with Lymphoma and within a month he was gone.  It was all so quick, and yet so slow.  There were days that I felt the stress would never end, I couldn't think straight, I didn't know how to get past it, and just wanted it to end, not even realizing that once it did end, it would catapult me into a deep grief.  Yes, what I am dealing with is grief.  Pure and simple.

I don't think I ever really dealt with my feelings.  The first part of the year I was focused on *fixing* him, wasn't getting much sleep, wasn't eating properly, was exhausted mentally and physically, and then losing him was excruciating for me.  It still is.  I still can't think of him without crying and feeling a pain in my heart, like never before.

IMG_2796 
 
I hadn't quite realized just how deeply this had all affected me, until I tried to crochet after he passed, and I just couldn't do it.  He was my little shadow, he was always near me, always around when I was working on a new crochet project, and I guess I connected the two.  I've tried over and over to pick up my crochet hook, to start a new blanket, or work on an old unfinished one, and I just can't do it.
 
I even tried again last week, I grabbed my crochet bag, picked a few colors and was all set to sit and do the one thing that I have loved for so long.  Started, ripped it apart, started again, ripped it again.  Just could not feel it, and it started frustrating me, to the point I set it aside and have let it just be.  For now!
 
For some reason, I have not been able to get past Marley's death.  I haven't accepted it, I haven't move on, I haven't made peace with it, any of it.  It is strange in a way, because I've had so many dogs before, and I've lost so many too.  It's not that I didn't love my dogs, because I did, all of them and I felt their deaths deeply, but Marley?  There was something about him.
 
And that's probably why it's affected me so much.  So, I'm making myself face what happened, deal with it, as ugly and raw as it may feel.  I need to accept it, see it for what it is, and move on.  I haven't even able to get another dog, it just hasn't felt right for me.
 
But I'm giving myself time to really go through the process of grief, seeking help and hopefully bring a new sweet puppy into our family, by the end of the year.  I miss the companion of a dog, I just can't seem to do it quite yet. 

IMG_2795

I'll get there, I'm sure, just as soon as I face it head on and stop living in denial.  I will say, having Elliott has been so good for me.  I had no clue I would ever all in love with a cat, but this sweet boy has become my shadow.  You know how they say cats pick their person?

I never believed that until Elliott.  He goes where I go, he has to be near me all the time, cuddles up against me, purrs and throws himself at my feet.  I love him so much!!!

As always God knew what I needed before I even did.  Thank you Lord!!!
 

IMG_2791

IMG_2792

IMG_2793

I know that I will never get over it, that's normal,  we learn to live with it, but we don't forget.  Please just pray for me, that I am able to get through this process, to not hold back, to not shy away no matter how painful it gets.

I need to, so that I can get back to enjoying my life, and my blog, and all the things I've always loved doing.

In the meantime, I am trying to just live each day, whatever it brings.  

Whether it's enjoying watching the birds out in the yard, or new plants coming in from the ones I propagated, or just my usual homemaking, cleaning and cooking. 

IMG_2808

IMG_2815

IMG_2823

IMG_2826

IMG_2827

The biggest thing I need to remember and keep in mind, is that we gave Marley a wonderful life.  He was so loved and so spoiled.  I wouldn't trade that for anything in this world, and if you ask me would I go through this all over again to have him here?  Absolutely, without even a second thought.  

He was that special.  

So I'll get there eventually, just have to be kind to myself and stop ignoring what happened.  

I'm sorry if this post was not my usual, but it's been weighing on my heart for a long time, and I felt I needed to get it written down and on the blog.  It's a part of my life, it's a part of my journey, and I want to be able to look back on it one day, and see where I was and how far I came.

I am looking forward to the day I come on, and share our newest family member, and know that I will be able to love him or her, just as much as I loved Marley.

If you've made it to the end of this post, thank you.  Thank you for sitting and reading and letting me vent a little.  As I said above, I would really appreciate your prayers.

I'll leave you now with a picture of my sweetest boy.  Gosh how I miss him ♥



13 comments:

Jean said...

I'm so sorry your struggling with the grief of losing Marley. Those little reminders that creep up on us are certainly tough. Hope you find some peace today and during the rest of the weekend.

Tina said...

I feel ya sister…my lab that died in 2012 was “That Dog” to me. Love you Sandra. Tina Stone, Georgia

Jackie See said...

I understand your grief. I lost my son (in law that I had known his entire life) a year ago. I can't seem to find my joy, anywhere, anymore. I too have tried to fix myself with all the tools I know of. I am just not getting better. Just this month, I have lost 7 good friends to covid and cancer. Then add in the war, politics, energy costs and the uncertain future of our gas and energy expenses has been too much on me. I am old and I have survived worse than this in my long years, but I can't find a direction. I feel lost. Jackie See

Susan said...

Losing a pet is like losing a child for those that love deeply. A pet accepts the real us. We can love on our pet freely. So when we lose them. we lose a part of us, our heart that made that unconditional connection. Grief is unique to each person. Being honest and open about your feelings is healing. Time heals. I felt the same way when I lost my last dog. It took years to get over her death. That first year is the hardest. I pray that your heart will heal and you memories will give you comfort. God bless you.

Mother Em said...

With tears in my eyes reading this, I still miss my first doggies from when I was young to those we lost a few years ago. I cry over all of them. God Bless You. Tears dry up just a little, but flow like it was yesterday!

Mellie said...

Praying for you, friend. Continue to be kind to yourself. It sucks. Nothing else to say.

MindyG said...

Sending so many prayers and so much love. It is one of the worst kinds of pain.
<3 Mindy

Marcy said...

Yes the grief and pain is real. I like to think that our beloved pets will be with us again in heaven. Prayers for you as you work through your grief.

Unknown said...

You're not alone in this. I lost my Oscar around the same time and I do totally understand. There are some pets that are just uniquely special. They are all loved and special but sometimes you're blessed to get the one that just connects in that super special way. We have gotten another puppy- Henry- and I do love him so but no one will replace Oscar and that's ok. We were just so blessed to have them in our lives for the time that we had them. Big hugs to you!

Rochelle said...

We miss Marley too 🥺 God is your Very Present Help… you are in my heart and thoughts

A said...

Prayers and Hugs!

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I can totally relate to this. When my dog, Chelsea died, I didn't care if I lived or died anymore. I was taking the bus to work and stopped being cautious walking home because part of me wished someone would attack and kill me. Yes, it was that bad. But that was decades ago and I don't feel that way anymore. It took a long time, but I finally got to a point where I could remember all the cute and funny things she did and not be sad all the time.

One thing I did right away after she died was write down every single thing I could remember about her so that if my mind ever forgot, the pages of my journal would not.

Anyway, I will definitely pray that you will move through your heartbreak and be able to remember all the things about Marley that made you smile and laugh.

Hang in there!

Billie Jo said...

This post is so heartfelt. I can feel your pain through your words. I agree that grief comes in stages, and the first thing is to deal with it. Much easier said than done. Thank you for sharing your heart. Prayers coming your way!