Monday, January 15, 2024

Happy Homemaker Monday - 01/15/2024

 
 
Good morning from a very cold Texas.  We have a horrid wind chill that is bringing down the temperatures immensely, to the point where the real feel is -15 at times. For Texas, that is insane, at least in my opinion. I feel like Texas is colder than when we lived in Idaho. 
 
It is just after 8am, and I need to get this post up because I'm feeling extremely lazy today, and if I don't grab the computer and do what I need to do, I am going to completely forget about it. I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday Monday, if you are in the cold areas of the country, please stay safe and warm, and remember to check on your animals.  
 
We've been constantly checking on our chickens, changing water out constantly because it keeps freezing and just making sure they are warm.  They haven't left their coop in 2 days, they are nice and cozy in there and refuse to come out into these cold temps, and I don't blame them one bit. 
 
Anyway, let's get going. I hope you all have a blessed week ahead. 
 
 
 *** The Weather *** 
Winter warning, cold wind chill warning and snow warning, although the snow part hasn't come through, and that's ok.  We are experiencing very cold weather and it is set to continue over the next week or two.
 
Monday - Clear, -4 
Tuesday - Sunny, -1 
Wednesday - Sunny, 11 
Thursday - Sunny, 10 
Friday- Sunny, 2 
Saturday - Partly cloudy, 3 
Sunday - Cloudy, 6 
 
 
*** Right now I am *** 
Trying to get this post up, listening to a live with Julie Green Ministries on the telly, and telling myself that I need to get out of this bed soon and get dressed, and start my day.  It's going to take quite a bit of convincing for me Hahahah 
 
 
*** Thinking and pondering *** 
I had my women's check up on Friday and everything went well, although I have to say, the new doctor was not very gentle with the breast exam and my word, she actually hurt me.  There's nothing more frustrating as when a doctor pushes really hard or presses really hard on a part of the body, and then asks if it hurts.  Like.....yesssss??? Anyway, that went well, and then I had to draw blood for the routine blood work, and just waiting on those results.  Anyone else get a bit anxious, even though there is nothing to be anxious about?  Why does health stuff always make our anxiety rear it's ugly head 
 
*** How I am feeling ***
Cold, very cold. 
 
 
*** On the breakfast plate *** 
Two cups of coffee, one at 4am and then another at 7am, and a big bowl of my Instant Pot Creamy Oatmeal 
 
 
*** On the lunch plate *** 
Still have some leftover lasagna from Saturday night, so will have some of that. 
 
 
*** On the dinner plate ***
 
 
 *** On the menu *** 
Meals are planned until Thursday, that is shopping day for me, and then new meal plan kicks in.  
 
Tuesday - Upside Down Pizza, Salad  
Wednesday - Beef Tortellini, Garlic Bread  
Thursday
Friday -
Saturday - 
Sunday
 
*** What I am wearing *** 
Still in my pajamas. 
 
 
*** On my reading pile *** 
The Tale of Hilltop Farm by Susan Wittig Albert 
 
 
*** On my TV this week ***
Youtube - Brazilian and Portuguese Homemaking Vlogs  
Turkish shows - Hudutsuz Sevda  
Netflix - All the light we cannot see 
 
 
*** Looking around the house *** 
It's clean and tidy and cozy.  I do need to go throw some more wood into the fire though before it goes out completely. 
 
 
 *** To do list *** 
Laundry 
 
 
*** From the camera *** 
 I took some photos but haven't edited them.  I need to get better at this and get back on track. 
 
 
 *** Devotional, Prayers, Bible Verses *** 
Our best life is found when we trust God completely and live surrendered to His will.

11 comments:

collettakay said...

Laundry is a never-ending job! Have a great week :)

Colletta

threesidesofcrazy said...

WOW another Texas cold winter. I'll take Idaho or Oregon over the famous Texas extreme drops. Stay warm and snuggle in with a good book and another cup of coffee! That's what I want to do here, but have to work this morning! Have a great week my friend.

Debbie said...

Good morning from S.E. Texas! It's currently 35 here, which has already dropped from the 39 it was just a few hours ago.

I saw your Tv list. "All the Light we cannot see" was so, so good. I read the book a few years ago and it has remained on my favorites list. Definitely worth the time.

Have a warm and cozy day!

Jean said...

Oh, I didn't know we had the same weather! Yikes. We did look yesterday and Alaska was warmer than here as were some of the stations around the south pole, LOL. Hopefully, it warms up sooner than later. Laundry here today as well. Hope you stay warm and have a wonderful week!

Luludou said...

Cold here too -15C this morning (59F).
Have a great week

Aritha V. said...

Oh, how cold. Glad that everything was good, medically.

Groetjes,
Aritha

Sherry Jolly said...

I can't believe how cold it is there! It is just about the same here, but in Michigan it's expected. We will be back up to 40 degrees within a week! I prefer this! Hope every day gives you a blessing!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Wow - I didn't know it could get that cold down there - geesh! So much like up here right now. Lol Stay warm and cozy! God bless those adorable chickens. ;)
Glad your check up went well overall, that's never fun stuff.
I hope you have a snuggled up and cozy week ahead! xoxo

Carol said...

I believe it is cold everywhere! I was doing laundry today too.

Adina said...

Greetings from another Texas girl dealing with the crazy cold weather. I was searching for 'how to get stains out of fabric doilies' and ran across your blog... thanks! I plan to try it soon.

In reference to maintaining water for your chickens, my husband discovered how to keep the water trough for our animals (cows and donkey) from freezing. And though your water container is surely smaller/shorter for your chicks, this tip should help you as well. Good luck with this and stay warm. ~Blessings~

He posted info on Facebook and so I'm going to copy his wording here for you to have and share.
Husband...
"If anyone ever says that salt water bottles in a trough do not work, they don't know what they're talking about. I put these in here last Friday in advance of this weather. I arrived late last night. The weather was already below freezing. I finally went to the trough late this morning and the bottles did their job. There were holes in the ice for the animals to drink from. I did chop through the ice on the side where there was no bottle."
Friend..
"is it regular salt or Epsom salt?"
Husband...
"it's regular salt. At least that's what I use. I put 1 cup of it into one of those water bottles you buy at HEB. I've used those for a number of years and they don't crack and they seal tight.. The little handle is good to tie off to. Leave a decent amount of airspace. The picture with the smaller hole I think I did not leave enough air for it to float higher. I do replace them with new bottles each year just to be safe. I don't want them to split."
Husband...
"One other note. Some of it has to do with the floating object in the trough preventing ice from sealing . People argue about whether it's the saltwater or just the object. However it does take salt water longer to freeze than freshwater."

Mrs.T said...

Wow it's colder there than it is here, way up north in New Hampshire!

Clean and tidy and cozy sounds wonderful for your home. Mine is cozy but not as tidy as it might be. Or as clean. Those odd little white spiders can spin a web so fast it is almost unbelievable.