Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Busy week

Ever feel like you're just constantly on the go and don't have a moment to breathe?

It's been a pretty busy week for me.  My husband is in a TAP (Transition Assistance Program) class this week so his schedule is different which throws mine off kilter too.

I find that I'm just waking up, doing housework, doing homeschooling, cooking, and it's bedtime again.  I am so looking forward to the weekend, I can't even tell you.

Funniest thing is that I haven't really been doing anything out of this world or exciting, or worthy of a blog post, I guess that's why I haven't posted anything since Monday.  Good gravy!

I did say I wanted to come in daily, so I have to make sure that I keep to that promise.

So before I show you what I was up to today in the kitchen, let me tell you what else I've been doing.

Preparing for Christmas.

I know, I know, some of you may think I've lost it, but honestly time flies so fast and I know that if I don't start right now I'll be way behind and probably end up not getting things done.

Usually I'm a last minute Christmas shopper/preparer but I don't want to do that this year, I want to get it all done or mostly done so I can relax and really enjoy the season.

I've gathered up many patterns and ideas for homemade gifts for my loves, family and friends.  I've also been watching some of my favorite shows that focus on simple Christmas, Vintage Christmas, Pioneer Christmas etc.

I'm totally going for a very simple holiday this year because truthfully, I'm so tired of the extravagant, overdone holidays.  In my opinion there's no need for the biggest tree, the most expensive gifts etc.  It just seems to ruin the real purpose.

If you like the Victorian Farm series that aired a few years ago, you will enjoy the Victorian Farm Christmas special, and you can watch them on YouTube.

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

Another one of my favorites was Kirstie's Handmade Christmas.

But I'll keep sharing what I find or what I'm planning with you all, maybe it'll inspire someone out there :)

Anyway, want to see what I was up to in the kitchen???

2012_10240017

Bread making for the week and the freezer. 

2012_10240021

4 loaves of our favorite homemade bread
2012_10240024

We do love these Buttermilk Loaves, they are delicious.  I always make at least 4 and freeze them in the deep freezer. 
2012_10240025

It's a great bread for freezing and once thawed the texture and taste are not affected in any way.

Then I quickly whipped up a Swiss Roll or Jelly Roll as it's known here in the States.  I've been craving one for a while.  (don't have a recipe up for this one but I think everyone has a recipe laying around right?)

2012_10240029

This was one of the first things I learned to bake in Home Economics class in High School and it always brings back such fond memories. 

It's also one of those cakes that doesn't always turn out how I want it.  This time I accidentally beat the mixture too long and it came out a little more dense than I prefer, but I'm not one to waste a good slice of cake :)

2012_10240037

After schooling with the kids, a visit from the housing maintenance, and two more loads of laundry, I had just enough time to throw dinner together.  Oven baked meatballs.

I love these, they are so yummy and very easy to put together.

So there you have it, you now know what I was doing in my kitchen all day. 

Since it's Wednesday, I have a few favorite shows to watch so I'll say goodnight and go cuddle with my hubby on the couch. 



6 comments:

Unknown said...

I watched thee first episode of A Victorian Christmas. I love history and kilter to see how people lived. Thank you for sharing :-)

Debby said...

I too work VERY hard to keep Christmas simple, funny that keeping things simple is so much work!! Your baking is making me hungry for some bread of my own, I have been meeting myself coming and going for so long I haven't baked bread in a long time. Today is the day!

Naomi said...

Oooooh swiss roll! I haven't had a swiss roll in such a long time! That may be our Friday treat :)
A simple christmas is the best kind of christmas and I am totally with you on being organised early!

Susanne said...

The jelly rolls sure bring back childhood memories. My mom used to make those for Christmas!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I love Christmas! I always say I want it to be simpler and every year it grows. I'm attempting the same this year! I would love to watch the Vintage and Pionner Christmas shows. Can you tell me how to find those on youtube?

And I was thinking of your buttermilk bread the other day. I'm going to have to make some for sure! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Have a great day, Sandra!

Hugs,
Tammy

Kathy Skinner (Kat) said...

I don't think it's ever too early to start planning for Christmas! I usually wait till the last minute but not this year! Will enjoy seeing what you come up with:)