Monday, October 15, 2012

Nothing wasted

2012_10150007

Fresh flowers....I bought these tonight, it's not something I do often because I always find them to be expensive, but it was a little treat for me.

I'm so tired, and I'm thinking that as soon as this post is written, I will log off, shut down my laptop and head to bed.

It's been a busy day, as it always is on payday for us.

Errands to run, bills to pay, shopping and the usual housework, cooking, laundry etc.

I don't think I would change it for anything in this world though.  As tired as I may seem at the end of the long day, I always manage to look back and smile at how productive it was and everything that I accomplished.

Not nearly everything that I had in mind to do, but, a good portion was done, and that is what matters.

We went out to a quick dinner tonight at one of our favorite places, Ono's Hawaiian Barbecue.  So good!!

Then took a quick run by Fry's for some of their sale items.  I've noticed that not everything is cheaper than the base commissary, but there are a few things that are worth picking up there, especially when you do the Buy One, Get one Free.

And the price of their milk is way cheaper than the commissary.  Goodness, we're paying almost 4 dollars a gallon there.

Was able to stock my deep freezer with bread, milk and berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, all of which were on sale with the Buy one, get one free).

I also find that eggs are cheaper at Fry's and since we go through a lot of those, it's worth getting them there.

Still have grocery shopping to do tomorrow, but don't need too many things.

In preparation for the grocery shopping, I always clear out my fridge, give it a good cleaning and go through what is still good and what needs to be thrown out or used right away.

2012_10150003

Since I had a couple of veggies that were close to expiring, I made a huge pot of soup.  Potatoes, onions, half a zucchini, carrots, celery and I threw in a can of kidney beans as well.

Hearty, filling soup.

I let it cool down just a smidge then filled mason jars with the soup, and placed them in the fridge.  It will make for a quick yummy lunch during the week.

I don't like wasting, so to throw out the veggies when I restock the fridge tomorrow, would just be a waste of money. 

And now my sweet friends, I'm going to head to bed.  I'm actually excited, I received a Sleep One Air Adjustable Pillow this afternoon, to review.  I have major issues with my right shoulder, matter of fact I find it very hard to sleep on my right side because it hurts and then makes my neck hurt and it's just a pain.

This pillow is supposed to be wonderful for neck and shoulder pain, so we'll see how it goes :)

Have a wonderful night and thank you for taking the time to visit me here in my little corner, I do appreciate your visits and your comments :)

Hugs,




8 comments:

Liz said...

That's a great idea with the soup. Usually if I have left over veggies that are about to go bad, I just throw them into our compost pile. I'd rather do the soup thing though because I still feel like I'm wasting it all by throwing it to the compost heap.

I agree that the flowers are expensive, but that is one thing that I just love to splurge on. I just love fresh cut flowers for their little pop of color and wonderful smell. I don't get the opportunity to buy them as much as I'd like, but I do love them.

It sounds like you really had a wonderful day. Hope you are doing well.

Debby said...

I too love the feel of a busy day after stocking the freezer and ref, knowing the bills are paid and things are at least in order around the place. Your soup looks so yummy!

Manuela said...

Soup sounds like a great idea. I have lots of couves in my backyard and will make a big pot of soupa da couves this weekend. Your posts are always a joy to read.
have a good day Sandra. You inspire me.
hugs
Marie

Sherri B. said...

My right shoulder is in bad shape too. I am looking forward to your review..if you find it works, I will be getting one for sure. Thanks! xo

Unknown said...

I love feeling accomplished at the end of my day. I know that I am taking good care if my family which is so rewarding. Love the flowers, that is a nice treat :-) Maybe I will treat myself to some too. Thanks!

Whitney @ My Southern Comfort said...

Sometimes I cant believe how expensive milk is. Our "discount" milk is $3.89/gallon which is absolutely ridiculous! but Im glad that you find such satisfaction in your busy days! Hope you have a great week!

Sweet Tea said...

Sleep is sweet after a good productive day and it's a great feeling to have the cabinets full and our nests "feathered".
Sleep tight, Friend!

Suellen Roley said...

I've been having a lot of neck pain, presumably from a too-tight CPAP mask (after I lost weight, I had to strap the mask on really really tight or air blew all over my face which isn't restful at all)and the straps have been cutting into the base of my neck (right under the hairline). So I took the time to take care of ME today, by going to the sleep center here and getting two masks to try. Insurance covers whichever one I end up using so that's a good thing. And losing 35 pounds is a good thing too!