Saturday, May 11, 2013

Food, Family, Fun and Furry Friends!

2013_05100007

Hello friends :)

Come on in, let me tell you what I've been doing today. I would call it the perfect Saturday, but then I'm not hard to please, just throw in some baking, some farmer's market and some grilling, and I am one happy girl. Well.....and throw in a glass of chilled Moscato wine to round it all off. Please and Thank You!

I was actually up very early this morning, and that is due to the fact that last night around 9pm, I was laying in bed watching TV and trying to catch up on my DVR'd shows, and then suddenly I was out and I mean out like a log, mouth wide open (and I know this because I jerked awake 15 minutes later and had even drooled on my pillow. Good.Grief.Folks! LOL

2013_05110004

By 5:30am I was up and out of bed, the whole house was still fast asleep so I enjoyed a cup of coffee in the still quiet of the morning and did my usual email, facebook, blog checking.

I also did a quick search online to see if I could locate an area nearby that would provide fresh eggs, milk, organic veggies etc. I was so lucky to find one such place just up the street, actually drove by there so many times but didn't even know it existed.

Once everyone was up and dressed, we all headed out to go check it out. Turns out that it's an Equestrian Boarding place and they also offer riding lessons, which is going to make my niece Tiffany one happy girl, she just adores horses.

By the time we arrived there wasn't much left at all, but I did walk away with 2 jars of organic honey from the bees they have on the farm and their mesquite trees....a bunch of fresh kale which is going to be superb in Caldo Verde (Portuguese Kale Soup).  Think I'll make it tomorrow for lunch.

We then made a stop at Basha's because I needed some whole wheat flour and more peanut butter to make some homemade dog treats for the girls.

2013_05110018

I've decided that I'm no longer going to buy the expensive nasty store bought treats.  They are so full of gross ingredients, half of which you can't even pronounce....ok 99% of which you can't pronounce.

And you know with Lola's health scares the past few months, we just want to do what is best for our pets and make sure that they are getting healthy food into their bodies.

I made two batches which yielded quite a bit, enough to fill the treat jar.

2013_05110025

And let me tell you, these pugs LOVED their treats and I feel so much better knowing that I'm rewarding with the good stuff :)

2013_05110040

2013_05110042

If you want to make them for your doggies, you can find the recipes on the food blog.

While the treats baked, hubby turned on the grill and threw on some steaks with Montreal Steak Seasoning.  Oh my, is there anything like a thick beautiful seasoned steak straight from the grill?

2013_05110008

I fixed some baked potatoes and some corn too.

2013_05110014

You know we usually don't eat a big lunch, our big meal is dinner and lunch usually consists of something easy and quick, but this was just a nice treat, I'm still so full.

And of course hubby and I enjoyed a glass, or two, of Moscato wine.

2013_05110006

So yes....just the right Saturday for me. Food, family, fun, furry friends....yes indeed a good day :)

Always a good day when there's yummy food involved right?  This was last night's dinner, and I'm including the links to the recipes if you wish to give it a go yourself :)

2013_05100011

Garlic, Thyme, Butter Potatoes

Bacon, Honey Mustard Chicken

Bacon, Honey Mustard Chicken

We're all sitting down now to get ready for tonight's Doctor Who episode and then I think I'm going to read a little or maybe crochet, not sure.

Oh and before I leave, if you love Jane Austen and Pride and Prejudice, you must watch this brilliant documentary that showed on BBC Two last night.  I can tell you that I will never read the book again in the same way.  Loved it.



Alrighty I have to run, Doctor Who is starting!!!!



4 comments:

Kathy Skinner (Kat) said...

Sounds like the perfect Saturday! Enjoy your evening!

Debby said...

Ahh, the peace of having some time alone in the morning!! Your pugs are lucky littyle guys to have a sweet mommy like you. Happy Mothers Day

Susanne said...

I wanna come to your house for dinner. You have me drooling.

Sherri B. said...

Your day sounds just perfect!

Wishing you a very blessed and Happy Mother's Day! xo