Wednesday, November 06, 2019

{ Slow Day }

As my stress levels hit an all time high, I realized that it was not only affecting me mentally but physically too.  That is usually when I switch gears and force myself to slow down, to have a slow, cozy day surrounded by the things I love.

There was much needing done around the house, and so I slipped the apron over my head, tied the straps behind my back, took a deep breath and just got busy.

_MG_6764

I started with the dishes, since there's always piles in the sink, no matter how many times I run the dishwasher or hand wash.  While I was standing at the sink, I took the sprayer from the faucet and quickly gave the window a quick wash too.


_MG_6769

With the weather turning cold the past week, we've lit the fire twice, which means ashes needing to be cleared out from the fireplace.  It's not a chore I particularly enjoy but I do like a clean fireplace, so I got right to work.

I cleared out all the ashes, then gave the metal border and the glass doors a really good clean.  I then swept and vacuumed the brickwork and left the fireplace looking spotless.  I can't believe I didn't take a photo to show you, I'll have to do that tomorrow.

_MG_6773

I also emptied out the ash bucket, gave it a clean, and restocked some firewood in the basket.

_MG_6774

As I moved around the house, doing this and that, the rain started outside.  Within a few minutes the house darkened so much that it looked like nighttime, so I lit some lamps and candle warmers and continued working under the cozy lighting.

_MG_6778

I finished off a few loads of laundry, including one of kitchen towels and tablecloths.  Just because it was raining outside, didn't mean that I needed to run my big dryer for this load, so I set them up in the living room and let them sit overnight.

All I need to do now is iron them.  Maybe you think I'm strange for ironing kitchen towels and tablecloths, but I was raised by my great grandmother and she always instilled in me this love for homemaking, even in those menial tasks we would otherwise find useless to do.

_MG_6779

Furniture was polished, floors were vacuumed, windows were washed and rooms set to order.

There is something so calming and peaceful about a clean room.  I don't often show you Curt's office, I don't know why because it is one of my favorite rooms in the house, but maybe I'll do that another time.

_MG_6780

I have to tell you that I truly do love this house, and I would be extremely happy, and blessed, were we given the opportunity to buy it and stay forever.

But I know that this is all in God's hands and I'm letting Him take the reign. 

We may not have the certainty that this home will be ours, it will be a few more weeks until we know for sure, but for the moment,  I plan on enjoying it and loving it, just as much as if I already knew the outcome. 

And so, even in the uncertainty, I take the utmost care in every room that I clean, in every corner that I decorate, every floor I sweep or window I wash. 

It doesn't take but a bit of my time and effort, and it's the least I can give back to these four walls that have given us so much love the past 4 years.

3 comments:

Carol said...

What an interesting post because I was just thinking about how much needs done here and how I loathe housework, but after reading this, I will look it in a different way. I need to get things back in order and enjoy this home. Mine will be mine until we decide to leave it as we will make our last payment in February. I pray that God allows you to stay in your home!

Sandra said...

It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the housework and we don't always enjoy it, but I find that if I go into it with an open mind and joy in my heart, I actually enjoy it. I find that it's all about giving our home a little effort in return for the warmth and the roof over our heads that it provides. :) Thank you for your prayers, I appreciate it!

Pat said...

I was taught if you clean your house for the ones you love and think how you would feel if Jesus came to your door. I really loved reading this post and it honestly challenged me. Loved your pictures too.