Tuesday, November 29, 2022

{ National Geographic's Birding Basics - TLC Book Tours }

 

 

About Birding Basics

• Publisher: National Geographic (November 15, 2022)
• Paperback: 256 pages

Targeted to beginners and beyond, National Geographic’s fun, inspiring guide to the art, craft, and science of bird-watching combines practical know-how and expert knowledge. Browsable and bursting with helpful illustrations and photographs, Birding Basics offers new ideas for when, where, and how to get to know the birds in your world.

Not a field guide but a primer in best practices, authored by birding expert Noah Strycker, this breezy book features easy-to-follow advice on what to look and listen for, how to use field guides and birding apps, the best equipment to start with, and ways to engage with other birders around the world. Filled with fun facts and seasoned advice, this useful book will help you attract birds to your backyard, master bird identification, name a bird by its song, and witness the magic of migration. Sidebars feature fun facts, identification tips, and easy projects for exploring the world on the wing.

For everyone who loves watching the birds, whether out the window or on the trail, this colorful, easy-to-use guide to better birding has everything you need.

 
My thoughts:
I have always been fascinated by birds.  I even have a full album of bird pictures on my Flickr account.  
 
When we were stationed in Arizona, I would often spend my afternoons out in my back yard, with my camera equipped with the zoom lens, just snapping photos of the birds around me.  
 
I don't know all the bird species, or even a fraction of them, so it's often hard for me to know what I'm looking at specifically, aside from the more known species like Cardinals, Blue Jays, Humingbirds and so on.
 
This book, has helped me so much.  I love just picking it up and browsing the pages, learning about the different birds, their coloring, what areas they are from and some really interesting information and fun tips as well.  If you're into bird watching, this book will definitely help you get started, and set you up with the right equipment etc.
 
Have you ever wondered what seasons you can see your favorite birds?  Or what their birdsongs mean?  This book has it all, along with some of the most stunning bird photographs, I only dream of being able to get.
 
It's on my bookshelf and will remain there for many years.  I love being able to quickly grab it and use it to check on a specific bird in my yard.
 
Thank you to TLC Book Tours and National Geographic, for providing me with a copy for this review.
 
 


1 comment:

Aritha Vermeulen said...

It seems to be such a nice book! O and I enjoy your stories on Instagram :-)