Thursday, September 06, 2007

Slow Cooking Thursday!!!



Thank you to all the ladies who participate every week, I can't tell you how much I enjoy your recipes.

Here's mine for today, don't forget to leave a comment and your name on Mr Lin
ky so the rest of us can come save your recipes to try them out :)

I'm giving you 2 recipes today, a main dish and a dessert, enjoy :)


SLOW COOKER LEMON CHICKEN WITH POTATOES AND MUSHROOMS

One 3- to 4-pound broiler/fryer
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 large lemon or 1 small lemon
1/4 teaspoon paprika

3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 medium-size or 1 large onion, cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 to 12 small Yellow Finn or Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled
6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced 1/2 inch thick


Rinse and dry the chicken thoroughly. Cut off any lumps of fat. Put one bouillon cube inside the cavity. Squeeze the lemon, reserving the juice. Put the lemon rinds in the cavity. Put the chicken in the slow cooker, breast side up, and sprinkle with the paprika and parsley. Distribute the onion wedges and garlic around the chicken. Pour over the soy sauce and lemon juice and season with the salt and pepper. Crumble the remaining bouillon cube, and sprinkle that over the chicken as well. Top with the potatoes and mushrooms. Cover and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.


To serve, discard the lemon halves and portion the potatoes, mushrooms, onions and chicken into shallow bowls or soup plates, discarding the skins and bones.

********************************************


FRESH RASPBERRY BREAD PUDDING

5 to 6 cups coarsely crumbled or diced stale French bread, challah or rich white bread, crusts removed
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Whipped cream for serving

Coat the slow cooker with butter-flavor nonstick cooking spray.

Layer half of the crumbled bread in the slow cooker, and sprinkle with half of the berries. Repeat the layers, ending with the berries on top. In a large bowl, whisk together the cream, milk, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Pour into the cooker over the bread cubes and berries, and gently push down the bread to evenly moisten. Cover and cook on HIGH until puffed and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 2 1/2 hours.

Remove the lid and cook on HIGH for another 15 minutes.

Cover, turn off the cooker, and let the pudding stand to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream, if desired.


15 comments:

Mari said...

Oh Sandra - these both look so good. My crazy family doesn't like mushrooms, but I think they can pick them off!

Anonymous said...

sounds delicious Sandra. Thanks for another week of hosting :)

Anonymous said...

These both look very good. Thanks for hosting!


MJ

Anonymous said...

looks yummy to me!

Mrs.T said...

These both look delicious, Sandra! I will be trying that chicken for sure.

Sorry about my first attempt to link up -- hit "return" rather than "shift for the capital letter and it linked me up anyway. So you will probably want to delete #6 -- it doesn't lead anywhere!

Thanks for hosting!

Kyra said...

They both sound great! Thanks!

Sandra said...

Mrs T. - The link is actually working, I don't know what you did but it works for me LOL

Kyra - You have it linking to my slow cooking post instead of your own recipe....can you repost your link???

Renee said...

Sandra,

Both these recipes sound great! I can't wait to try them out. I have to thank you for hosting this meme; I have so many wonderful and great recipes that I can use my slow cooker 2-3 times a week! Thanks!

Betsy said...

Look delish!

gail@more than a song said...

That chicken looks yummy!

smilnsigh said...

Yummy!

As to my comments *whine,* some gals tell me they no longer can comment in my 'smilnsigh' blog. But they can, in my other 3 blogs. All on Blogger...

And this seemed to have happened, after I learned how Blogger lets one put a picture in the Blogger Header. So I did. But only in my 'smilnsigh' blog.

Never tried to change the Headers in my other 3 Blogger blogs though.

Others make use of this Blogger Header picture ability. I love it. Why can't I do it, without gals not being able to comment now?????

There have been different suggestions.. One recurring one seems to be, that if people use Firefox, they can again comment. But I've ALWAYS used Firefox! Why this inability of theirs, all of a sudden?

As you read in my blog, getting help from Blogger is not easy. So I am stumped. And I am way too scared to leave Blogger and try to take my blogs elsewhere. I'd just not try that. So I am stumped.

And that's it, in a nutshell. -sigh-

Mari-Nanci

Renee said...

Hi Sandra,

Here's some info on pink beans; I don't generally use them. I substitute pinto beans because I usually have them on hand.

Here's a link about what pink beans are: (you'll need to scroll down to find the pink bean section):

http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html

Here's a description from there about pink beans:

chili bean = pink bean Notes: These are very similar to pinto beans, only they're smaller and rounder. They're often used to make chili and refried beans. Substitutes: pinto bean OR rattlesnake bean OR red kidney bean.

HTH,
Renee'

Kyra said...

Thanks for fixing my link! What was I thinking?! :)

Michelle said...

Hi Sandra.;-)
I'm late for this today computer trouble..ugh!!!!You're recipes look so delicous..thanks for hosting this every week.

Karen said...

These all sound great, sorry I am so late:( Have a great week!