Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!



I'm a day early and a dollar short LOL

No seriously, I'm a day early because I'm taking a break from blogging until next week monday, there's Thanksgiving and all sorts of family stuff going on so I would rather let my family and friends know that I won't be here, than have everyone wondering where I disappeared to.

I'm still quite sick and actually woke up with no voice this morning, my chest burns and I'm congested and boy, just not feeling good at all, but that won't stop me from cooking tomorrow. As usual, it's just us and the kids but it doesn't stop us from having a wonderful Thanksgiving Meal which I always cook.....Curt is in charge of the Fried Turkey and I get all the side dishes and the desserts.

Anyway, since I won't be here tomorrow, there will be no Slow Cooking Thursday post so you'll have to wait until the next week for that...sorry!

Since we're all gearing up for Thanksgiving tomorrow I thought today's post would be one filled with last minute ideas and recipes and all that good stuff.

Turkey 101
Turkey Carving 101
15 Favorite Side Dishes
Thanksgiving Recipes
Thanksgiving Crafts

Those are all from Martha Stewart's website and she has tons of wonderful ideas and recipes available for us.

And what do you do when you have tons of pie leftover??? Well you turn them into Pie Favors for your family and friends.


History of Thanksgiving

Ever wonder what the pilgrims and their Native American guests really ate at the first feast? The truth may surprise you. Contrary to popular belief, they didn't sit down to a meal featuring turkey, corn, cranberries, and pumpkin pie (in fact, they didn't even have forks!).

Travel back to Plymouth and discover some of the humble origins of Thanksgiving traditions we celebrate today and what the original celebration was actually like!




Ballad of the Mayflower

By Linda G. Paulsen There was a ship, Mayflower by name; Hey, Ho~
Took a trip, she crossed the main; Hey, Ho~
Full of people seeking peace,
Praying for freedom to increase;
Hey, Ho, Dee-o, Dee-o! The Pilgrims came to Plymouth Rock; Hey, Ho~
Simple people, strudy stock; Hey, Ho~
To be free they crossed the sea,
Thanked the Lord on bended knee; Hey, Ho, Dee-o, Dee-o!
How when the crops were gathered in; Hey, Ho~
A dinner party did begin; Hey, Ho~
Pilgrims, Indians, pumpkin pie, Turkey, venison, corn, oh my!
Hey, Ho, Dee-o, Dee-o! Bet you thought my song was done; Hey, Ho~
But I've really just begun; Hey, Ho~
Ever since that autumn day,
Thanksgiving has been here to stay, Hey, Ho, Dee-o, Dee-o!



10 comments:

Mari said...

Have a great Thanksgiving - hope you are soon feeling better!

Kelli said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Hugs,
Kelli

Courtney said...

Feel better soon Sandra!!!
It's just us & the kids this year too but still will be very special.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Jen said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too Sandra....enjoy your time together this weekend. Scott is off today and tomorrow but works Friday and Saturday....me and Madison are going to do our Gifts in Jars those days....

gail@more than a song said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Laura said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sandra to you and your family!

FarmHouse Style said...

Sandra, hope you feel better soon.

Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Rhonda

Michelle said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Hope you are feeling better today!

Lulu said...

Sandra, i am praying you feel better soon...
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family...
hugs and prayers

Eden said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sandra!!! Praying that you are feeling better.