Friday, November 28, 2008

There was eating and decorating and.....

a run away Turkey!

Photobucket
by the way, that's a wheat roll in the picture, not a potato. Just thought I would let you know since Nicholas asked me why he never got a potato like that one LOL

I tell you, Thanksgiving Days are always full of surprises, if it's not fighting family members then it's the turkey that just didn't want to get eaten. Curt and I have never laughed so hard.

You all know that we deep fry our turkeys, I used to do the whole oven thing but it took forever and I could never get my turkey nice and juicy so about 3 years ago, we bought a deep fryer and started using that instead. The result, the juiciest, brownest, crispiest skinned turkey EVER.

So let me tell you how my day went. I woke up at about 1am on Thursday morning with the worst sore throat ever. It literally felt like someone was shoving a knife in there and twisting and prodding, it was so bad that it kept me up all night, by 7 am I just said "forget it" got up and started cooking.

By noon everything was cooked and we threw in the turkey and while waiting for it to fry, we started decorating the outside of the house. You know how that goes right? You keep all the decorations and lights from the year before and then you plug everything in and half of the light strands don't work. So you sit there and go one by one looking for the burnt out and exchanging lights until everything is working, because you know....that's easier than just going out to buy new ones? *ROLL MY EYES*

We have 3 reindeer, the animated ones, they move their heads up and down and side to side and one moves it's legs etc. We've had them since Idaho and they're getting so old that there's rust starting to seep through on some, but that is ok, at night no one will know. What they WILL notice is that one works fine, one has no lights down it's whole right side and the one that is supposed to move it's legs is suddenly motionless. What a sad sight! LOL

Now let me tell you about the turkey, I got a 20 lb one which is just ridiculous for us, but in my defense, I couldn't find any of the smaller ones at the commissary, I'm thinking all the retired couples got the itty bitty ones just for the two of them, so I got stuck with this huge bird...... which meant, only the bottom half of it was completely immersed in the peanut oil, the top wasn't and while it cooked, it didn't get brown. So we look at this thing and decide, well let's flip it over and let it sit for another 30 minutes. And that's when the adventure began LOL

I should have grabbed my camera but I was so busy laughing, it totally slipped my mind. So this is how it went.

Curt grabs the basket and pulls it up and there's this sad looking turkey in there, bottom part brown and top part pale. It looked like it had been to the beach while wearing a long sleeved shirt and shorts then fell asleep and got sun burnt.
So I say to him, ok let's flip it and I run inside to get a big fork, I come back out and try to stick the fork in it and start pulling but the darn thing is stuck to the bottom and my fork is bending. ABORT that idea!

Curt says "hey I have some new work gloves in the truck, still in the plastic, let me get that and then I can grab it". Ok, sounds like a great plan...NOT LOL
He comes back with his gloves on and proceeds to try and grab the bird, but it's hot and it's still stuck to the bottom and somehow wedged in the basket and just not budging. So I start laughing, which if you know me personally, you know if something funny or weird is going on, I just can't help it. He is struggling with this bird and I'm trying to hold the basket while he pulls it out and next thing I know this turkey flies past me and lands on the driveway. LOL

Our expressions were a mixture of surprise and OH.MY.GOSH that's our turkey. We run to it and Curt picks it up and turns it and slams it back in the basket. But now it has one of it's gigantic legs sticking out and he's telling me "shove it back in" and I'm trying but the darn leg won't move. So he grabs the leg, breaks it and wedges it into the basket. There ya go.....back into the oil, the heat will kill any germs LOL
Thankfully I had JUST finished sweeping the driveway and had actually hosed it down.....I must have known what was to come.

So after 30 minutes, we sit down to eat, but I have to get the turkey out of the basket and cut it, so I grab my trusty bent fork and shove it in the turkey breast and pull it up to get it out of the basket and guess what happens? It was like someone threw a grenade in there, the fork shreds through the breast and all this flying turkey meat hits me on the face and head. Curt and the kids start laughing, I'm standing there with a bent fork, a shredded turkey breast and meat all over me and the floor. You can't help but laugh at this, it's just too ridiculous for words LOL

Even if I had tried to, I couldn't have made this up. But we DID finally eat it and boy was it good.

We spent the rest of the day putting up our tree and decorating inside, it had started raining so we had to leave the yard decorations for later. There was a christmas tree, you know the prelit ones? Yeah, well we took it out of the box and some of the lights fell out LOL Then we put up the tree, Curt grabs the angel for the top and shoves the branches of the tree into it and then it topples over so he tries to pull the angel back out but it's stuck and he's pulling so hard that the top of the tree comes off with the angel. (hahahahahahahahah)
He's standing there holding this beautiful angel by the waist and there's a huge tree stuck to it's bottom, he's trying not to laugh but of course, I'm already in tears in the corner. He managed to get it loose and I reattached the tree and got the angel back on.

The rest of the night managed to go by without any further crazy happenings. It was a weird, funny but definitely unforgetable Thanksgiving.

So how did yours go? Any run away turkeys? Fighting family members? Crazy trees? Rain, snow, thunder and lightning? I want to hear all about it.

I leave you with some pics from last night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

34 comments:

Pamela said...

Thanks for the birthday greeting for my nephew Brandon; that was so sweet! I was laughing so hard at your adventure yesterday that my sides hurt! I'm with you; a newly-hosed driveway and immersing in boiling oil, that should be enough to kill any germs. Sounds like your family had a great day and certainly one you won't forget.

We're busy putting up our tree and a few decorations outside. We don't put up lights outside since our tree is huge and lights up the whole front living room window, and we have two smaller lit trees on a raised stand that you can see through the side window. That's plenty of lights.

Pictures up soon on my blog. Have a great rest of the weekend.

Sandra said...

This is hilarious! But you know what? These are the best memories one can ever get!

Pamela said...

Forgot to say that your tree is beautiful and the angel looks like she survived her ordeal!

Linds said...

I have to tell you I am laughing so much I am crying here, Sandra - this HAS to be the best Thanksgiving story of the year! That turkey - I just wish you had had the camera on hand. Hysterical!

Micha @ Cookin' Mimi said...

That sounds like what happens to us. Thankfully though we had a pretty uneventful Thanksgiving this year. The food was good and everyone got a long. I just wanted to let you know the rub you put on your Portuguese chicken and rice is delicious on turkey too. :-D

Michelle said...

I'll be back to read the full story ;-) There's two girls screaming lol..

Jen said...

sounds very eventful. but entertaining. we do our tree beginning of next week...tomorrow miller turns 3..can you believe it?

All My Blessings said...

What a fun day!!! Yes I'm laughing with you. I'm glad everything went well in the end.(snicker,snicker). Our day went really good too. Dinner at Grandmas house is always good. But not eventful. Grandma is such a good cook and usually everything goes off without a hitch. Not at my house. I have Christmas this year and We'll see...you should've had a video camera. What a hoot...Kae

Mari said...

I love that story -I can almost picture it. I'd be right there next to you, laughing my head off!
We had a good day - the whole clan was here, but nothing exciting happened!

Michelle said...

oh my, what a Thanksgiving to remember! All you can do at that point is just sit and laugh! LOL

Lulu said...

goodness, how funny..

Anonymous said...

Oh my.. I'm still rolling with laughter.. what a day you had but at least it all ended well.
and I'm glad you said that was a wheat roll because my first thought was why you had two kinds of potatoes on the plate :)

Lynn and Jim said...

That is surely a Thanksgiving you'll never forget! I hope you're feeling better, too.

It's nice to read your stories and know that others are experiencing similar things in life (not necessarily the turkey one but others!) We, too, are military (my husband is Air Force) and are new at our base and our closest family is about 22 hrs away. We've learned to have special holidays with our small family and cherish those funny moments.

And thanks for visiting my blog Sandra!
Lynn

www.enjoyingevanandemmaeveryday.blogspot.com

Susanne said...

I almost lost it when I read the turkey flew past ya and hit the driveway! Oh my word. What can you do but laugh. And the angel and the tree? Oh my. Too bad you didn't get a pic of that!

Anonymous said...

Gracious DAY! Now that is the stuff memories are made of! Thanksgiving in and of itself was a blessing for you this year! Love, light & energy to you and your family in this holiday season:-)

Elizabeth said...

LOL! I just loved reading this :) Oh and how did you watch it online??? I want to watch it online.

Unknown said...

That is to funny, you will always remember this one for sure..Glad you could laugh at it too!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra,
dave and I are sitting here laughing our heads off. You are too funny. All I could think of is Lucy. LOL
Hugs,
Elizabteh

Cheri said...

I so wish you had that on film because you would have won America's Funniest Home Videos!

Anonymous said...

It's great that you kept your sense of humor and didn't let the calamities ruin your day!

Kirstin said...

That is way too funny. Forget the camera...you needed a video camera!!

Christina said...

That is the most hilarious turkey story I ever heard. The turkey flying across the drive way must of been one heck of a site. I would of done the same thing though, threw it back in. It seems a couple hundred degrees of peanut oil will kill just about anything. I'm surprised this turkey actually made it to your table, being all the trouble he gave you. It sounds like you had a great day anyway and the meal looked delicious. I laughed at the Christmas light story too since every year we have the same problem, half burnt out light, we are too stupid to go get new ones when we could just keep trying to figure out which little bulb is causing the problem, joining you in eye rolling.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the link!! I absolutely loved Edward. I cringed whenever the book or movie mentioned Jacob. Absolutely CRINGED at him because I knew who she needed to be with. Seeing the movie with his dark, dangerous eyes only cemented my love :) And I feel lost because I've never actually seen the actor before!

Melanie said...

Sounds like you had a REAL good Thanksgiving.
My after Thanksgiving post was about keepin' it real.

Terri said...

That is so hilarious - although probably not at the time. You will always be able to think back on that time and laugh!

Love the tree too - Christmas is so much fun~

Jen said...

ROTFL!!!! I will be laughing about this all day! I have been thinking about getting a deep fryer for turkeys and such....let me rethink this a bit! Just kidding. I'm glad all worked out ok for you. We didn't really have anything go wrong. But we had a very nice time visiting my family. Have a great weekend!

heidi @ ggip said...

I like your new haircut!

When we were carving our turkey (not at the dinner table quite yet, although we had no trouble cooking the turkey) someone yelled that water was streaming out of our family room light fixture. I kid you not.

threesidesofcrazy said...

Sandra,
Thank you I needed a good laugh. I could actually see you and Curt trying to turn the turkey over with the bent fork and everything - actually gave me a kinda of de ja vu feeling from years past. Sounds like you guys had a great day all in all!

Allison said...

Oh My Gosh! I want to eat the screen....that stuff looks amazingly delish!

Mara (Coffee with Mara) said...

awesome pictures!

The Raggedy Girl said...

I am one of your new followers. When I stop laughing and the tears stop rolling down my cheeks I want to tell you that the turkey dinner looked wonderful and your tree is beautiful as are your children.

Roberta Anne

Blessed Beyond said...

Sounds like a wonderful day full of memories! Even if the wildest and silliest stories. I have laughed so hard! Thank you for Lil K's birthday wishes! Yalls hike looked great too! The tree is beautiful! Hugs and Love!

Wendi said...

Thanks for the laugh!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I just have to say that your daughter's hair is absolutely amazing! Does your husband have any younger brothers my daughter can marry so I can get a granchild with hair that color? JK! Anyway, your family is gorgeous!