Thursday, May 21, 2009

Slow Cooking Thursday


Don't forget to add your name to Mr Linky and a link back to your SCT post so others can come by and see your recipe too.

As always, share your slow cooking recipes but if you REALLY REALLY don't have one and still want to participate, then you can share any kind of recipe.




HONEY MUSTARD BEER BRATS


* 10 fresh bratwurst sausages
* 1 green bell pepper, sliced into long strips
* 1 red bell pepper, sliced into long strips
* 1 large sweet onion, sliced into rings and separated
* 2 cloves garlic, sliced
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
* 2 cups honey mustard barbecue sauce
* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer, or as needed
* 10 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise

1. Place half of the bratwurst in the bottom of a 5 quart slow cooker. Arrange half of the green pepper, red pepper, and onion over them. Layer the remaining bratwurst over the top, and top with the remaining red and green bell peppers and onion. Throw in the garlic and bay leaves. In a separate bowl, mix together HALF of the honey mustard sauce, liquid smoke and beer. Pour into the slow cooker. Add more beer if necessary to cover everything in the pot. Cover, and cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil grate. Remove bratwurst from the slow cooker, but leave onions and peppers inside. Place bratwurst on the grill and baste with some of the remaining honey mustard sauce. Turn occasionally until slightly charred.
3. Place bratwurst on rolls, and use tongs to pull out a few of the onions and peppers from the slow cooker and drape them over the sausage. The onions and peppers are very tasty so don't forget this part!


15 comments:

Tina Leigh said...

Boy that looks goood!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like good guy food. Thanks for hosting!

MJ

Lori said...

Glad to be posting on SCT again...missed last week because of vacation. :) I love finding good Crock Pot recipes! I appreciate you hosting this.

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

I am back-I didn't participate last week! I can't wait to see what there is. :)

threesidesofcrazy said...

Hubby will love these. I haven't been slow cooking much so I brought dessert! :)

Dawna Drake said...

Perfect for summer!

cassandrasmom said...

I didn't see mr linky...here is mine for Italian Sausage Spaghetti

http://justcallmecassandrasmom.blogspot.com/2009/05/italian-sausage-spaghetti-for-slow.html

I can't wait to try your recipe for the Brats....I have a bunch in the freezer that I didn't know what to do with.

Michelle said...

yummy recipe Sandra.Thanks for hosting .

Jen said...

Yum! Hubby will love this one. I did not see a Mr.Linky this week.

The Raggedy Girl said...

My hubby would love these and how easy to make.

The Raggedy Girl

Anonymous said...

Mister Linky is missing.

My recipe is HERE

Mari said...

My hubby would love these. I don't like brats but I may try making them, for him anyway!

Unknown said...

These sound DELISH! I have one but I never ever use it. Why? I dont know!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Sounds really good!! I have an award for you. You can come by my place to pick it up.
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-got-award.html Have a great evening!

Sherrie

Margie said...

making these for tomorrow's lunch!

Thanks for much for your fabulous recipes! Again, you are a blessing!!