Thursday, June 10, 2010

{ Cooking Thursday }


Won't you join me and share with us one of your new recipes, or an old family favorite, you can even throw in a recipe for homemade soaps or detergents (just remember to specify).

For the guidelines, you can go here.

********************************************
2010_06080019

Smothered Pork Chops
recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated

3 ounces bacon (about 3 slices), cut into
1/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
Vegetable oil
4 bone-in, rib-end pork chops,
1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
Ground black pepper
2 medium yellow onions, halved pole to pole and sliced thin (about 3 1/2 cups)
8 oz sliced white button mushrooms
Salt
2 tablespoons water
2 medium garlic cloves, pressed through garlic press or minced (about 2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves plus some for garnish


Fry bacon in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate, leaving fat in saucepan (you should have 2 tablespoons bacon fat; if not, supplement with vegetable oil).

Reduce heat to medium-low and gradually whisk flour into fat until smooth. Cook, whisking frequently, until mixture is light brown, about the color of peanut butter, about 5 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth in slow, steady stream; increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil, stirring occasionally; cover and set aside off heat. (I didn't cook the mixture until light brown, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to waste)

Heat 1-tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat until smoking, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, dry pork chops with paper towels and sprinkle with 1/2-teaspoon pepper.

Brown chops in single layer until deep golden on first side, about 3 minutes. Flip chops and cook until browned on second side, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer chops to large plate and set aside.

Reduce heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon oil, onions, mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and water to now-empty skillet. Using wooden spoon, scrape browned bits on pan bottom and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened and browned around the edges, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds longer.

Return chops to skillet in single layer, covering chops with onions and mushrooms.

Pour in warm sauce and any juices collected from pork; add bay leaves. (the recipe doesn't say to add the bacon back in, but come on....you can't just get rid of bacon, I couldn't do it, so in it went and I'm so glad I did it)

Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until pork is tender and paring knife inserted into chops meets very little resistance, about 30 minutes.


12 comments:

Mari said...

This looks so good! I like a different way to cook pork chops!

Renee said...

I agree with Mari...this looks soooo good!

annies home said...

sounds delicious I am going to try this recipe

Heart2Heart said...

Sandra,

Thank you for coming to my rescue and finally offering yet a new way to cook pork chops.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Judy @ Frugal at Home said...

Your pork chops look scrumptious! Thanks for hosting today! :-)

Conny said...

Wow, it's Thursday again already!? Summer vacation days sure do go by FAST!! :)

The recipe looks YUMMY. I've been cooking old (and fast) favorites lately - so nothing to add right now - but hopefully one day I'll get to try & post some new recipes.

Unknown said...

Pork chops are one fo my favorite and this looks really good. Thanks Sandra

Mbini said...

I visited your blog today and I loved it. I live in Mozambique for 1 year now and I am from SA. So your story is fascinating to me.

Thanks for having such a lovely blog. I will be back often.

Mbini

sanjeet said...

This looks so good
Adsense Alternative

Michelle said...

Wow, so many great recipes! I'm a new follower to your blog! I've enjoyed checking it out so far-

Heart2Heart said...

Sandra,

I've tried emailing you with my contest information at the email that's linked to your blog. Please let me know if you get it. I haven't heard from you and don't want to miss out on my giveaway.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you soon. I sent it twice to your msn email.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Christina said...

I'm going to copy this right now.