Saturday, October 06, 2012

Chasing Fall

I'm a huge believer in using what you have, making do with what you got and making the best of things.

Now when I think about Fall, Arizona, or at least the area we live in, is NOT what you would call Fallish at all.  I don't get to enjoy the changing of the leaves and reveling in reds and oranges and yellows.

I also don't get to enjoy temperatures low enough to make me think of lighting a fireplace and sipping hot cocoa.

So I have to chase Fall, wherever I can find it.

I'm going to tell you about my day today, it's now almost 5PM and I'm home, in my pj's after a hot shower and just relaxing in the living room.  Actually, we all are, showers have been had, we're wearing freshly laundered comfy pj's and we're just relaxing.

It was a fun day which started early this morning with the Base's Fire Safety Week Parade.  Loud and I mean LOUD firetrucks come around every street, waving at the residents, with Sparky the dog giving thumbs ups and waves and big smiles to the kids.

Get ready, you may want to grab some coffee, because I'm going to take you on a ride and have quite a few photos to share :)

The parade just starting to come towards our house.
Luke AFB Fire Safety Parade

I love fire trucks and especially the older ones
Luke AFB Fire Safety Parade

What a beauty isn't it?
Luke AFB Fire Safety Parade

Sparky the dog saw me out there with the kids, I had my zoom lens on and he got all happy lol
Luke AFB Fire Safety Parade

Big Thumbs up.  I'm so thrilled with this photo, just love it :)
Luke AFB Fire Safety Parade

It's always fun. I do remember that back in Idaho, they would throw candy for the kids, but then it became a bit of a safety issue when children would run out in front of the trucks, so they stopped that.

Shortly after this little parade, we set off to the Tolmachoff Farms. I've mentioned them before, we try to go every single year in October, matter of fact we only didn't make it there last year. But they have Pumpkins and preserves...a petting zoo, food, fun things for the kids to do and a corn maze as well.

Tolmachoff Farm

Now it's starting to feel like Fall.  Pumpkins make me happy :)
Tolmachoff Farm

and so do preserves, and pickles, and butters.....
Tolmachoff Farm

and Habanero Mango Salsa
Tolmachoff Farm

and little oinkers.  I am telling you, when we get back to Idaho, I am getting a little piglet.  I know they smell and stuff, but they are so adorable.
Tolmachoff Farm

Little chickies which I love
Tolmachoff Farm

and big chickies, this one is so pretty
Tolmachoff Farm

fruit trees, and red barns in the distance
Tolmachoff Farm

horseys enjoying some grub
Tolmachoff Farm

and this handsome girl who posed and posed and posed for me
Tolmachoff Farm

the petting zoo is always the favorite for the kids
Tolmachoff Farm

Tolmachoff Farm

Of course there's some fun activities just around the corner to burn some energy, like this huge bouncing thingamagig
Tolmachoff Farm

some race cars
Tolmachoff Farm

Tolmachoff Farm

which my poor husband had to push them on
Tolmachoff Farm

my boy however found a lot of pleasure in this ducky water pump game
Tolmachoff Farm

Tired yet???? No??? We're almost done, matter of fact I'm not even sharing them all LOL If you want to see them all, you can check out the Album here.

We picked up some pumpkins
2012_10060137

and I also got some Steak Sauce, Toasted Pecan Syrup, Black Bean and Corn Salsa, Salsa Grande, Apple Butter, Pumpkin Butter, Honey and Apricot Preserves
2012_10060141

and at the Farmer's Market I got these beautiful chilies and some chili mix, and some steak sauce and some more salsa and the yummiest beef jerky
2012_10060143

We were pretty hungry at this point, so we headed over to the Uptown Alley, it's a fun hangout with a game arcade, laser tag, bowling and a great bar and grill with some of the best food ever.

Hubby picked Spaghetti and Meatballs
2012_10060131

Jasmine had Jack's Meatloaf
2012_10060130

My Cuban Panini
2012_10060129

with some awesome fries and I am in love with the little buckets
2012_10060128

and Nic picked baby back ribs which were falling off the bone and delicious
2012_10060127

Kids and hubby enjoyed a game of laser tag, we all played some arcade games together and then home.

And as much as I love having fun with the family, and believe me we had a LOT today...there is quite nothing like coming home at the end of the day. 

I have crochet, I have TV shows to catch up and the weather just took a turn, temps dropped significantly and the skies went dark, not sure if it will rain but we'll see.

Hope you all had a great Saturday, I'll be back tomorrow to chat again :)

12 comments:

Felicia said...

Looks like you had an amazing day. The pumpkin patch you visited look liked a blast, we have right down the road from us and we are so excited to visit it this year.

I also agree with their being nothing like curling up in good comfy pj's and enjoying being home. Have a great rest of the weekend.

CaityClaire said...

What a great day! My son is into fire trucks in a big way at the moment, so the photos were a hit! Hope you keep finding your 'Fall'.

Jen said...

Some people go cuckoo for cocoa puffs I on the other hand go cuckoo for firetrucks!! I love them in all shapes and forms.

Pigs do not stay little but they certainly are adorable when they are! I love chickens!

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

I just love your pictures. It looks like you guys had an amazing day, and I seriously wanted to be enjoying it with you (is that weird?).

Those firetrucks are great!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What wonderful fun you had and what great goodies you brought home. Your meals, the 4 of them, each sound and look delicious!

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Naomi said...

Seems like you had a wonderful family day :) I'm so looking forward to my hubby having a few days of this week :) xx

Naomi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naomi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

We're in NH now and fall is everywhere. My friend took us to a local farmer's market and the produce was so amazing to look at! The trees are near prime and I have birds chippering away outside of my bedroom window. I am already missing my Michigan family back home so I am trying to take in every little sight and experience to feel surrounded by God's love.

Sherry

Tina Leigh said...

Sandra chasing fall is just what I have to do in hot south Georgia!! Looks like you found some tho! That corn looks really lush!
Love the parade!

Amber said...

How fun! Would you mind telling me what kind of camera you have? Your pics are amazing!

Rabs said...

That all sounds so lovely! <3 I wish I could do all that!

Here you could say that autumn is chasing us! I feel that way, anyhow. It's night time but it's currently 6 degrees Celsius - it was up to 11 during the day. Wednesday I'll try to run my errands since it looks to be the last warm day at 19... T_T; The leaves changed colour quickly this year; they went from green to yellow to brown... Where is my orange and red?! ;O; Maybe the wrong trees in the area...

I'm hemming and hawing as to whether I should go to the store and buy a pumpkin to gut and make pumpkin pie out of... I've never done so, but it seems like an idea since I could try roasting and salting the seeds for my boyfriend (I don't care for them)... I'm just too lazy... Nobody seems to be eating my baking lately except me, and that's kind of a downer beyond words. ;_;