Thursday, March 21, 2013

And they grow.....

Lately I've been finding myself watching my children more intensely. I'm trying to capture every smile, every emotion, every grin and every moment of their ever changing young lives.

They're growing. They're growing fast and I'm not sure I'm ready for this yet. I often look at some of my bloggy friends who have grown children, married, with families of their own and I wonder "how did you do it, how could you bear it?".

I have no doubt when my time comes, I too will bear it, and do it and become an empty nester.

My Jasmine is going to be turning 14 in a few weeks.  She's now into boys, and girly things, and wants her bedroom decorated in black and white toile, and she wants Benedict Cumberbatch on her walls.  She is in love with Benedict Cumberbatch, and Colin Morgan, and Thom Hiddleston and BBC TV and anything English and says she is determined to go study in the UK.

She's not my tiny little girl anymore.

And then there's my boy.  My not so little boy anymore who is coming into his own.  He is going to be turning 10 in 3 weeks, and he also wants a big boy room and has very specific ideas about the color scheme and what goes on the walls and what is acceptable and allowed in the bedroom.

*sigh*

So, we've started on his room, I spent all day in there going though his things.

First thing out was the old bunkbed.  He used to love it and now he says it's for little kids. I got most of it disassembled but with my sciatica acting up I really couldn't get it all apart by myself, so had to wait for hubby to get home.

2013_03210008

I sorted, and cleaned and reorganized......and the toys that were once his favorite on earth?  Now they're just "meh, I don't like it anymore, let's give it to Goodwill for another little boy to enjoy it."

2013_03210010

After a few morning hours in his bedroom, I moved onto housework.

2013_03210013

Piles of laundry fresh out of the dryer and waiting to be folded and put away.

2013_03210012

Easter dishes pulled out of storage and washed and readied for Easter.

Kids and I took a walk to the mailbox and Jasmine was so excited when her teas came in. This child of mine found the best teas I've ever had.

2013_03210014

Adagio Teas have fandom blends, which means tea blends made specifically for fans of TV shows, movies, books etc. I had no idea they existed until she asked me about a week ago if I would get her some.

The one you see above? From Doctor Who's the Tenth Doctor. It tastes really good.

2013_03210024

This one below? Moriarty from Sherlock Holmes. And WOW it is out of this world good. I can't even begin to tell you just how delicious it is.

2013_03210015

Honestly, if you love flavored teas you will really love these. Next on my list to try? Downtown Abbey teas, there's different flavors for each character. Jane Austen, Walking Dead, Supernatural? Check, Check, Check. Can't wait.

2013_03210029

After that delicious cup of tea, I took care of my garden, the veggies needed some water. Just look at my parsley.

2013_03210043

Have to keep these two away, as it's not the first time I've found them walking around my vegetables.

2013_03210044

2013_03210047

I love them dearly. Though they do drive me a little bonkers at times, especially when I'm cooking and Miss Bella is right under foot. The amount of times I have to jump, dodge, slide with food or knives in my hand. And no matter what I do, she will not budge. Have to be extra careful when I'm cooking, but I guess she just enjoys being where her mama is. :)

2013_03210060

Had a yummy dinner of Speedy Goulash and after cleaning the kitchen, I played around with my new quilt strips.

2013_03210001

2013_03210003

Overall, it was a good homemaking day. 

Old things were taken out, new things were brought in, and children continued growing before my eyes. 

My heart is so extremely full at the moment.  Not just with love for my children and my husband, but for God too.  He never ceases to amaze me and He's always coming through in such huge humongous, can't miss, ways.  He is working on something huge at the moment and I'll be able to tell you more next week as it relates directly to my brother and sister in law.

I'm tired, but in a good way, so I'm going to call it a night with the promise that I'll be back tomorrow morning with another story from my childhood, maybe I'll turn Friday's into a step back in time.

God Bless,

Sandra


9 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

This was a sweet, homey post, about family, watching them change, seeing them grow, about daily chores and handwork, about cooking, about God's goodness.

Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Very nice post...and...I just had to order the doctor who teas for my 18 year old daughter! Thanks for the tip! She likes tea from the mall but they are too expensive and not always fresh.

Debby said...

You are so right, kiddo's grow like weeds. One day they are under foot the next their feet are bigger than yours. When our oldest left for college I thought I would lose my mind so sad :( When the last one left for college I thought I would lose my mind if we didn't get her out the door faster! Ha

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Sandra, your post made me happy, bless you........Love the sweet Easter dish, so cute, as is the furry kids......Happy Weekend, Francine.

Amber said...

Good morning, Sandra! Your Easter dishes are so cute! What a cute little surprise you find in the bottom of that bowl! My daughter thought your dogs were adorable. They made her giggle! Have a blessed day!

Manuela said...

As of May I will have an empty nest. It's bitter sweet, because you are happy for your child, it's what we wanted, they grow, they get married, they have babies, they buy a house ... so why are we sad? Because they have been our life forever and now they are going off to have their own life. The first time one of my children left me because she got married it was so hard on me. I too said, how can we do this, have them for so long and just let them go? but life goes on and we do. Eventually after the 2, 3 and now my 4th is going it does get somewhat easier. You still have a while to go Sandra, but yes, remember to enjoy every second because time goes by so fast. I now get to enjoy not only my children visiting us but my grandchildren as well. Grandchildren are Gods extra special gift to us which helps with the empty nest.
Have I told you how wonderful I think you are? Your stories, your life, your pictures, everything..you are truly an inpiration to me. You inspire me to do more. And everything I've tried example canning tomatoes, have turned out perfectly! Have a wonderful weekend and may God bless you and your family!

lndwhr said...

Oh Sandra, can I relate to this post. I just scheduled a college tour for my 17 year old. I swear, I don't know how I got here. She was just two, wasn't she? But somehow God moves us through all this, and helps us to see the bliss and the joy in each stage. I'm already missing my oldest and she doesn't graduate until 2014! LOL But, I know that awareness of how much I am going to miss her is going to make me cherish this next year all the more. My 14 year old did the room purge about two years ago and it tore my heart out, but it is fun to see where his heart and his mind are leading him....that becomes more clear as they start defining their own space. Love it. Have a wonderful weekend!! Hoping for some sunshine and a little more warmth up here in WI!

lndwhr said...

Not sure if my other comment posted...I can so relate to this post. I just booked a college tour for my 17 year old. I'm not sure how I got here since I swear she was just two!! I'm already missing her terribly and she doesn't graduate until 2014! LOL But, I know that "missing" will make me cherish and soak in every moment of the next year even more. And I've done the boy room purge too...nearly tore my heart out, but it's all good to see where there hearts and minds are growing and what they see for their own space. As mommas, we kind of work our way out of our jobs. :)

Thank you for the tea recommendation too! I want to try those! Have a great weekend...hoping for some warm weather in WI!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

The kids do grow up so quickly and I often think how I'd like to slow down time a little bit!

My kids are spaced so far apart, my hope is that I always have kids around....lots of grandkids! :)

Have a great weekend!
Tammy