Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Downton Abbey!

Boy do I have a new British period drama to share with you.

You know how I've said many times that my favorite shows to watch are all from England?  Oh how I wish I could get those networks here in the States.  Then again it might be a bad idea because I would have a hard time getting anything done around my house.

But anyway, I have a whole new lavish period drama to tell you about....it's called Downton Abbey and it's ITV's newest series.  It premiered this past Sunday, the 26th and it's already got many people talking about how wonderful it is.  I had heard about it, I had seen the previews and I wanted to watch it so bad and I just knew that there would be no way for that to happen unless I found it online.  Thankfully I DID and I have to thank the wonderful folks in England who actually take time out to put these on the internet and to make them available to us.  

Downton Abbey follows the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants at Downton Abbey. It is April 1912, and news arrives of the sinking of the Titanic with the loss of Downton's heir James and his son Patrick.

The Dowager Countess Violet hopes that the title and estate will pass on to the current Earl Robert's oldest daughter Mary, who was in line to marry Patrick.  But Robert, whose wife Cora's money is intimately tied up in the estate, decides not to name Mary his heir, and after discovering that a distant cousin is set to inherit instead, invites the young man to Downton. Meanwhile, new valet John Bates is given a hard time by the staff as an old war injury threatens his job at the stately home. 
 The minute I read the summary for the new episode I literally smirked like an idiot.  This is just up my alley, it's the kind of show I want to watch, it's bound to have good drama, beautiful costumes and stunning scenery being that it is filmed on location at the HighClere Castle in England.


 Before I tell you more about it, here is the Trailer, I'm sure if you love these shows as much as I do, you'll be jumping for joy as well, or if nothing more,  it will just be something new for you to add to your list of things to watch.



Dame Maggie Smith who I absolutely adore is joining the cast and so is another of my favorite British actors,  Hugh Bonneville.

There will initially be seven episodes and they're all penned by the brilliant Julian Fellowes who is most known for the wonderful Gosford Park, another one of my favorites.  So yes, to say that I'm thrilled about this new series is an understatement.

If you've seen the first episode let me know what you think, if you haven't but would like to, just shoot me an email :)

I'm off to soak up all the info I can on this drama.

No comments: