Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cooking Thursday - Bourbon Chicken



Anyone else feel like you blink and it's Thursday again?   I always say that time is going fast, but come on, this is getting ridiculous LOL 

Today's recipe is for Bourbon Chicken.  You know like the one you get at the Chinese restaurants/take outs?  That one.  Matter of fact, it's one of my favorites to order when we get Chinese.  


Bourbon Chicken

Bourbon Chicken

2 pounds boneless chicken breasts; cut into bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil; (1-2)
1 garlic clove; crushed
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch


Combine garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, apple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, cider vinegar, water, soy sauce and cornstarch in a big bowl.

Add chicken to the bowl and give it a good stir to coat. Scoop chicken out onto a skillet to which you've added the olive oil.

Cook until lightly browned. Remove chicken.

Add mixture from the bowl, heating over medium heat until well blended and dissolved. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered. Serve over hot rice.
 




5 comments:

Mari said...

This looks like a keeper - I'm putting it on my to try list!
I don't have a recipe to share as I'm on a blogging break while Andy is home, but I had to stop in and see what you had up today. Thanks!

Carol said...

I've never had Bourbon Chicken! Sounds good :-)

Lois Christensen said...

I pinned this. I don't think I've ever had bourbon chicken, but this just looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Oh yum ..... that's all I'm gonna say!

Kelly - MuddyFlowers.com and BeyondtheTent.com said...

You make it look so easy!