Thursday, September 16, 2021

{ Congratulations, you are now an American Citizen }

IMG_1496

Those words, oh my goodness, those words hit me like a ton of bricks.

Today, Thursday, September 16, 2021, I officially became an American Citizen, after taking my Oath of Allegiance.

I think for so many that are born in this country, and privileged to be born here, they don't understand the magnitude of becoming a citizen to the most powerful nation in the world.  You are born here, and that's that.

But take if from someone who was born elsewhere, and lived in multiple countries before making America my home, I only wish you understood the blessing that it is, to be called American.  

I pray you never have to live in a communist country. I pray you never have to live in a country where there is no freedom of speech, where you can't say what you think, can't express how you feel, and don't have the freedoms that are taken for granted on a daily basis.  I have, and I came to the United States for a better life.
 
See, when you have never had to live differently, never been on the other side looking in and hoping and wishing and dreaming of becoming an American, you will never understand. 
 
For me, this means everything. This means respecting this beautiful flag, pledging to protect it from all enemies foreign and domestic, and if ever need be, taking up arms.
 
IMG_1520

I don't make those promises lightly and neither did the other 28 people who became citizens along with me. We took the Oath, we cried, we congratulated each other and walked out with the biggest smiles on our faces, our throats choked by tears. 
 
We held onto the envelopes handed to us, containing a flag, a copy of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, a form to register to vote and a form to apply for an American passport.
 
We clutched those belongings, as if they were made of gold, because to us, they are just as valuable, and actually even more so. 
 
After 23 years I can finally say that I am a PROUD American Citizen, and you better believe that I will love this flag with all my heart, as I have been for so long.
 
For some it's become just a piece of cloth with no meaning.  For me?    It is EVERYTHING, it is freedom, it is a better life, it is opportunity, it is my home, and above all, it is God's nation.
 
So thank you Lord, thank you for this blessing, I am beyond grateful and ecstatic to be able to say that I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN!!!


15 comments:

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Congratulations!

Anamaria said...

Congratulations, Sandra’s!

Mari said...

Your words gave me chills and made me teary. Far too many people don't realize what a blessing this is, and so many now don't think it's something to even be thankful for. We are blessed to have you as a citizen. Congratulations!

collettakay said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! This post made me tear up. So happy for you :)

Colletta

Rachel said...

A HUGE congratulations to you Sandra!!!

~Mrs.J~ said...

Congratulations!!! As a wife of a naturalized citizen, I completely understand and my husband and I are so very happy for you!!

Monique G. said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. I love the pictures.

Marcy said...

Congratulations and welcome! What a happy time for you.

Mother Em said...

Congratulations!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Congratulation dear Sandra!!!

BaggysMama said...

How wonderful! Thanks and welcome to you and all the others who became citizens in the right way. It is people like you that help to make our country wonderful. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than plenty of other places in the world.

Lady Samy said...

Congratulation
Blog Lady Samy/Facebook/Instagram/Youtube

Connie said...

Congratulations to a fellow citizen. So great to read your feelings. God is good!

A said...

Congratulations!

Christal said...

Congratulations ❤️πŸ™πŸŒ·πŸŒΉπŸŒΈπŸŒΌ