Friday, November 03, 2023

End of week

IMG_5325

 
I just finished tidying up the house, and editing the photos for today's post, and decided to come and sit on my warm bed, to write up this post.

One of the bedroom windows is open, letting the most wonderful breeze.  The sheer white curtains are dancing, the birds are chirping loudly outside, and every once in a while Henry, the rooster, crows.  I think it's his way of letting me know he wants some attention, because once I get out there and give them a snack or check on their water and food, he is good to go.

I must say, my adventure as a chicken mama is nothing like I expected, and I'm not saying that in a bad way whatsoever, it's actually much better than I ever envisioned.  We're already talking about adding more chickens to the coop, but that is something for Spring time.

I don't want to put out the new babies when we are smack dab in the middle of winter, which would be around the time they would be ready to head outside.
 

IMG_5317

IMG_5318

 
It's cold enough that we've brought the plants in.  I still have a tomato plant, a pepper plant, a berry bush, lemon tree, and my avocado tree that I've been growing from seed.  I don't want them to die already, because even though it's just the beginning of November, we have had freezing temperatures.
 
So what have I been doing the past few days? 
 
Well....I'll just show you. 
 

IMG_5306


Feeding my fruitcakes, and they smell so good. I keep resisting the urge to leave one out for us to eat. In order for me not to do that, I've just made a different cake to draw the attention away, from the Christmas ones.
 
It worked, although it is so good, that I'm afraid it didn't last but 2 days, and the boys are all asking me to make another, so that will probably happen tomorrow.  I'll try to add it to the food blog too.
 

 IMG_5308

IMG_5310

IMG_5311

 
I've kept a close eye on the chickens, because it's their first experience with really cold weather.  We've weather proved their coop and run, and they are extremely happy.

This is my favorite girl, Puffy.  She loves me so much, she hears my voice and comes running.  I pick her up and hold her, pet her, and she just stares up at me, closes her eyes and stays.  

IMG_5312

IMG_5314

 
The colder temperatures, have also brought out in me, the need to start moving things around, getting ready for Thanksgiving, and creating little corners for those really cold days.

Corners near the fireplace, fluffy blankets and pillows, and reading nooks.  Very much looking forward to that first cold, dark day, where I can sit near the fireplace and the tree, and read a good book.

IMG_5321

IMG_5323

IMG_5330

 
I've also pulled out my Christmas books, for inspiration.  I especially love these Vintage ones because they take me back to my childhood.  

When I think of Christmas, I think of the vintage drawings, the books, the cards, the cartoons.  I find that, as the years have gone by, they've tried so hard to modernize  all, that it's lost that appeal, that magic that made the season so special.

IMG_5333

 
And then of course, the Gooseberry Patch Christmas cookbooks.  I have to thank my sweet friend Tamy at Chasing my Life, for sending me all these.

She knows that I would absolutely love having these, and would put them to good use, so a few years ago, I received a box in the mail with all these goodies.  They have a special place on my bookshelf, as well as my heart.

Thank you Tamy ♥

IMG_5336

IMG_5337
 
 
My TV watching has also shifted a little, I do still watch my Turkish shows, but I'm not watching them as much as I was a few months ago.

Are you also the kind that changes with the seasons?

I used to think it wasn't a thing, but I've realized it is, at least with me.  This time of the year makes me want to read Little House on the Prairie and Beatrix Potter books, watch Jane Austen and other period dramas and listen to classic old Christmas music.

There's actually a channel on Youtube called Vintage Radio which I want to share with you, because I think many of you will enjoy it too.  
 
 
 
From Thanksgiving playlists, to Christmas, Sleep, Workday, Autumn, Summer days, spring cleaning.  There's just so many to choose from, and I really think you all will love them.

I just put one on the TV and go about my day.  It helps to drown out the world, which I think a lot of us are wanting to do at the moment, at least, for a while, to sit in our homes, in peace and quiet and just focus on our families.

That's what I've been focusing on, and I tell you, it's been wonderful.  It helps to keep you grounded and pulls you away from all the sadness, and negativity that seems to be filling the entire the world.

Anyway, it is Friday, thankfully, which means I get to stay up later, wake up later, and have a slow weekend.  Tonight for dinner I am making Brazilian hotdogs, and if you want to see what I do, make you're following me on Instagram because I do daily stories, and I share all my dinners on there.

Some days I show the whole process, and some days I just show the finished meal, but either way, I pretty much share every dinner, which is quite popular with my followers.

Have a wonderful start to the weekend, and I'll see you all tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Oh, I have a Gooseberry Patch Christmas book and I love it! Thanks for reminding me of it. Hope your Saturday is off to a wonderful start.

Debbie said...

I love the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks! They are like sweet treasures for your kitchen :) I will try to find you on IG so I can follow your cooking stories. I also noticed that you have my blog on your sidebar, but I recently let go of the dotcom address. I would love if you changed it to the new address if you still want to follow. https://milliescozycottagelife.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful weekend!