Tuesday, October 31, 2023

{ Rain, freezing weather, and slow moments }

 

“Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better.”

— Albert Einstein

 
 
The rain steadily came down, for the whole of last week, there wasn't a day, or night, where the rain was not present.  Sometimes loud and thunderous, and at other times slow, steady drizzle.
 
Windows were open, cool breezes wafted in filling the house with the scent of wet earth.  Candles were lit, blankets were pulled out of storage and soups and stews started appearing at the dinner table. 
 
IMG_5276
 
I made the best soup the other day, filled with veggies, some ground beef and macaroni noodles.  It was jam packed with nutrients, filling and warming.  In a sense, it kicked off this cold season.....and cold is definitely the key word.
 
I don't think I've seen such cold weather, this early on in October, and although that is good in a way because it's knocked off the insane heat from summer, it also makes me weary about the impending winter season.
 
The past two days we've had a freeze warning, and this morning, woke up to a sea of white icy grass and ice on the windshields of our vehicles.  Yes, cold weather is definitely here.  I think even the morning coffees taste better, when it's blistering cold outside. 

 IMG_5299

IMG_5296

IMG_5295

IMG_5294

 
There's something magical about dark rainy days.  The whole mood seems to be somber, but in a good way, or maybe that's just the way I like to see it.  It does provide quite beautiful photos.
 
Speaking of photos, I've been grabbing my camera and making sure to snap more tidbits of my day, the property and nature in general.  I almost forgot just how much I enjoyed photography. 

IMG_5293

IMG_5292

 
As the rain continued outside, I focused on the chores inside.  Taking care of a home is not an easy task, it requires discipline to continually do the same thing, over and over, repeating and repeating, without losing steam.  
 
I find that for me the easiest way to do that is to, either play some worship music while I work, or pop on a documentary or podcast that I can mindlessly listen to, without having to pay attention to the screen.  Before I know it, everything is done, and the rest of the day (afternoon), is spent doing whatever I want, which usually includes Bible reading, devotional, Instagram, watching a Turkish show, or baking.

IMG_5278

IMG_5275

IMG_5303

 
Since I'm home now full time, without having to drive anyone around, my days have become all about homemaking full time, cooking meals, blogging and those things that I enjoyed so much, but had felt I had neglected for so long.

I've been getting immense pleasure out of cooking our family dinners, or baking a special cake or dessert, also looking for new recipes, and even writing them down, sometimes scribbled really fast, on a notebook I have.  At first I thought about writing it all neatly and trying somehow to separate them into sections, but I quickly realized that is just too much work and I would much rather have a notebook like my great grandmother did.

No doubt you all remember your mother's or grandmother's recipes, scribbled on random pieces of paper or notebooks, filled with little notes on the side, and splattered food stains.  What treasures they are, in this day and age.

I still have some of my grandmother's recipes, written by her, and I often look at the handwriting and reminisce about the moments we spent together.  It's hard to imagine that the handwriting on that paper is from someone who has already passed on.

My hope is that one day, my daughter or son, will want to keep my recipe notebook.  Hopefully I will have more than one, so they won't fight about it.  

Anyway, I am going to go and finish off my chores real quick, and take the chickens some snacks.  
 
See you all soon.
♥♥♥♥

3 comments:

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

So love the cozy of this post dear Friend! I'm fully into thinking about soups and stews for the season as well. And I love worship - or now it will be Christmas music - to work on chores around the house as well. Stay cozy and enjoy this hibernating time ahead as we prepare for the holidays and wonderful time with our families. ❤️

Jean said...

Enjoyed this post. You take such beautiful photos, I'm so glad you're picking up the camera more. The weather has been weird this year, it was 23 degrees this morning, way too cold for October! Hope you have a great rest of your week.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

It looks beautiful, Sandra. I have my mom's recipe box and a book that she made. I enjoy making all of our favorite recipes that she prepared for us as kids. My favorite is persimmon pudding. I grow persimmons in my backyard, so it's extra special. You cook it in a coffee can in boiling water. Very old fashioned...