Monday, March 04, 2024

{ Happy Homemaker Monday - 03/04/2024 }


 
Good morning ladies, welcome back to Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.  How was your weekend?
 
I had a very quiet, relaxing weekend which is always wonderful after a week of work, chores, hospital appointments and so on.  
 
I also received the X Ray results of my hands and thankfully I don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis, but Osteoarthritis in both hands, most prevalent in my right index finger and middle finger, and then my left thumb and other fingers too.  I knew it was something like that, and now we just move on and control the pain or the flare ups.  It is what it is, and I am very thankful to God for this diagnosis.  We need to remember to give thanks in everything, because what seems like a bad thing to us, could be much worse, and in fact is much worse for others.
 
Anyway, let's get on with our post.  As you can see, I updated my little graphic above for Spring.  You are more than welcome to use it, if you wish.
 
I think that's all I needed to talk about so let's jump right in...... 
 
 
 
 *** The Weather *** 
I think Winter is definitely gone.  All our trees are budding, my fruit trees are full of blossoms, my tulips and German Irises are coming up and there is just a sense of Spring in the air.  Of course that makes me super happy because I love these temperatures and am also dying to get planting, since we didn't have a garden last year.         
 
Monday - Sunshine and clouds, 83
Tuesday - Mostly sunny, 70
Wednesday - Cloudy, 71
Thursday - Thunderstorms, 75
Friday- AM showers, 73
Saturday - Partly cloudy, 79
Sunday - Sunny, 66
 
 
*** Right now I am *** 
Working on this post and watching a slow living, quiet vlog on the telly.   
 
 
*** Thinking and pondering *** 
About our garden, I need to sit and plan it all, where it goes, what is planted where and so forth.  Very much looking forward to it this year.  
 
Also have a few plans and projects for this week, need to write them down so I don't forget.   
 
 
*** How I am feeling ***
Really well.  I was a bit naughty the past 2 days and had a little bite of a chocolate, also had a little bit of potato salad and some noodles, which were not brown noodles.  But, I'm not being too hard on myself, I've been at this new healthy lifestyle since January and it's ok to have a treat now and then.  I am back on track again today, so that's good.
 
I have also gone down from 164 pounds to 148, which I am beyond thrilled about.  All I am doing is what I already told you, which was to cut out all processed, junk food, soda, alcohol, coffee creamers and added sugars.  I also do between 10 to 20 minute Walk at Home exercises with Lucy Wyndham-Read, on YouTube, she is fantastic.  Because of the arthritis, I do have some pain in my knees at times, so I'm not doing any of the high cardio intensity exercises I used to be able to do.  Walking exercises work just as well but are less brutal on your joints and body.  
 
Check out her YouTube channel, I think you'll like it.   This is my workout for today.

 
 
*** On the breakfast plate *** 
Just had a cup of coffee, and once I'm done with this post, I will make some scrambled eggs and a piece of wholewheat toast.        
 
 
*** On the lunch plate *** 
Steamed broccoli and tuna with tomato, onion, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. 
 
 
*** On the dinner plate ***
Moroccan Fish with Quinoa and Salad. 
 
 
*** On the menu *** 
 
Monday
Moroccan Fish with Quinoa and Salad 
Tuesday 
Lasagna Roll Ups, Garlic Bread  
Wednesday 
Moroccan Chicken Tagine, Brown Rice, Greek Salad 
Thursday 
Turkey Bolognese Stuffed Acorn Squash, Tomato and Cucumber Salad
Friday
Cauliflower Crust Pizzas
Saturday
Slow Cooked Sausage Casserole, Lentil Salad
Sunday
Butter chili crisp Garlic Pasta, Steamed Broccoli and Cauliflower

 
*** What I am wearing *** 
Summer nightgown at the moment, it's been so hot around here lately.  I will probably wear my first dress of the season today, just feel like a dress and the temps will be perfect for it.      
 
 
*** On my reading pile *** 
Book of John in the Bible 
Below Stairs by Margaret Powell 
 

*** On my TV this week ***
Youtube - Brazilian and Portuguese Homemaking Vlogs, Slow Living and Quiet Vlogs, I've also lately discovered some Turkish and Middle Eastern homemaking vloggers and have just loved watching those. 
Turkish shows - Hudutsuz Sevda, Ruzgarli Tepe, Bir Sevdadir, Gelin, Uc Kiz Kardes 
Sic Portugal TV - Senhora do Mar

 
*** Looking around the house *** 
The sun is streaming in through the windows and patio doors, casting the sweetest of shadows on the walls.  I find the morning and evening light, so beautiful and magical.  
 
Today I plan on continuing the hallway wallpaper removal.  I know, it's slow going but something has been coming up every week to keep me from moving on with that.  Needs doing though.
 
 
*** To do list *** 
Usual homemaking and pottering around
Take photos for blog posts
Start planning garden
Bible and Devotional time
Reading time
Crochet time
I learned many years ago, to always add my downtime and leisure activities, to my daily routine.  It helps a lot to get everything done, the non fun chores and the good ones too.
 
 
*** From the camera *** 
I saw this picture the other day and just had to save it.  I love everything about it.
      

 
*** What I am crocheting ***
On the last 2 rows of Part 3, the Nordic Snowflake.   
 
 
*** Devotional, Prayers, Bible Verses *** 
The God who has been sufficient until now, should be trusted to the end.
- Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon -  


10 comments:

threesidesofcrazy said...

One of the things I was recently told by a doctor was to avoid tomato products to help control the arthritic issues. It's hard for me because I love them, but things are better when I avoid them. Scurried thru your neck of the woods to the funeral during your weather last week on my way to the funeral - sure wish I'd had the time to stop! But, glad the weather is better now! Not sure what route we're taking home, but will contact you if we're coming back through that way. Have a wonderful week my friend!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I was ordering recipes books from our local library, and noticed there is a cookbook that is specifically for arthritis. I forget the title, but it had "arthritis" in the title. We have to watch all things "white" (bread, potato, rice, etc) and all things processed and sugar as well. My husband has been feeling his best lately. Of course no alcohol either, as that is empty calories, bad sugar carbs and whatnot. Have a nice week.

Elisha said...

Congratulations on the your health journey. One of my favorite YouTubers for workouts is Arianna Elizabeth. She does Yoga, Pilates and mixes them with weights sometimes. Is Osteoarthritis easier to treat than Rheumatoid? Enjoy your warmer temps. Ours are slowly creeping up here also. Have a wonderful Week!

GrammaGrits said...

So thankful for your diagnosis but sorry for your pain! Thank you for the quote from Spurgeon - needed that today! Blessings . . .

Aritha V. said...

Thank you for your blog and the link party, Sandra It's not pleasant to experience pain, and getting older gradually brings some limitations, doesn't it? Practicing with a little soft ball in warm water is good for the hands, but take it slowly, very slowly.

I'm looking forward to see your tulips, irises in a picture 🌷🌸🌳

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Hello dearest! AGain so happy that it isn't rheumatoid 🙏🏻💕
I'll live through your lovely Spring and flowers until ours completely shows up! Your temps look amazing. :)
Good for you on the health journey! I have lost about 7 so far and working slowly at it. I sometimes do Leslie Sansone walking workouts too! She's really good at being less aggressive on the joints.
Blessings on your week. xo

Sherry Jolly said...

I'm glad to hear that you do not have rheumatoid arthritis. I believe I have tendonitis at the base of my thumb. I've been wearing a brace but I will see my doctor Wednesday.

I just love tagines - they are so good. One of Emily's favorites.

I hope you have a great week!

Sherry

Luludou said...

Glad you don't have the rheumatoid artist and you are doing so well with your eating. I will try out that youtube walking. I have found 'Improved Health' youtube channel where she does low impact dancing to the oldies. It is quite fun and not too long.
Have a great week

Rachel said...

I just found your blog today and I love how relatable it is. I am a stay-at-home mom and sometimes things can get repetitive especially since my youngest started full-day kindergarten this year. (I feel like an empty nester most of the day!) I loved how you mentioned setting aside time for a hobby, like crocheting, between cleaning and doing housework. This will help me get energy and motivation back halfway through the day. I've also noticed getting professional cleaning services done once a year, such as upholstery cleaning, has also helped keep my home feel fresh. Can't wait to read all your posts and get caught up!

Katerinas Blog said...

Very interesting post!! I like the paragraph about programming! In general, I am also very into programming! Have a good night!