Sunday, October 04, 2026

{ Blogtober 2026 - Day 4 - October Book Possibilities }

October 3, 2026

I have long given up on making TBR piles of books.  I found that when I tell myself I need to read specific books in specific orders, I don't like it, and then I don't want to read them all.  I am a mood reader for sure, so I pick up whatever I want to read at that moment.
 
With October here, I did want to grab a few books to have on hand as possibilities for this month.  I just grabbed a basket, and went through my bedroom bookshelf picking out books that I felt I would want to read soon.
 
Little did I realize that they all look very Fall like, and just perfect for this month. 
 
Am I actually going to read them all, or any for that matter?  Well we will have to see as the month goes by, but at least I have a starting point, so let me show you quickly which I picked for my October Book Possibilities. 

October 3, 2026

Arabella by Georgette Heyer - 
 
If you love Bridgerton, you'll love Georgette Heyer

A fiery debutante. An ill-tempered bachelor. A romance for the ages.

Arabella, the daughter of an impoverished country parson, dreams of a new life in London. But her beauty and charm will only get her so far—and when Arabella embarks on her first London season armed with nothing but a benevolent godmother and her own notoriously short temper, she quickly runs afoul of Robert Beaumaris.

He's the most eligible bachelor of the day, with a personality as strong and combative as hers—and Arabella cannot abide him thinking of her as just another pretty girl after his wealth. So she allows herself to be provoked into a game of deception—one that could have unexpected consequences...

October 3, 2026

The Tale of Hill Top Farm by Susan Wittig Albert - 
 
In 1905 England, it was most unusual - if not outright scandalous - for an unmarried woman to buy and run a farm. But that's exactly what Beatrix Potter sets out to do when she purchases Hill Top Farm in the Lake District hamlet of Near Sawrey. Trying to recover from the death of her fiancé, Beatrix believes that the country will have a healing effect - until one of the villagers dies unexpectedly.

October 3, 2026

The Familiars by Stacey Halls -

In 1612 Lancaster, England, the hunt for witches has reached a fever pitch…


But in a time of suspicion and accusation, to be a woman may be the greatest risk of all.

Fleetwood Shuttleworth, the mistress of Pendle Hill’s Gawthorpe Hall, is with child. Anxious to produce an heir, she is distraught to find a letter from her physician that warns her husband she will not survive this pregnancy.

Devastated, Fleetwood wanders the estate grounds, where she catches a young woman poaching. Alice Gray claims she is a local midwife and promises to help Fleetwood deliver a healthy baby. But a witch-obsessed frenzy sweeps the countryside. Even woodland creatures or “familiars” are thought to be dark companions of the unholy. And Alice soon stands accused of witchcraft.

Time is running out. The witch trials are about to begin. With both their lives at stake, Fleetwood must prove Alice’s innocence. Only they know the truth.

Set against the real Pendle witch trials, this compelling novel draws its characters from historical figures as it explores the lives of seventeenth-century women. Ultimately it raises the question: Was witch hunting really just women hunting?
 

October 3, 2026

The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart - 
 
Born the bastard son of a Welsh princess, Myridden Emrys -- or as he would later be known, Merlin -- leads a perilous childhood, haunted by portents and visions. But destiny has great plans for this no-man's-son, taking him from prophesying before the High King Vortigern to the crowning of Uther Pendragon . . . and the conception of Arthur -- king for once and always. 

October 3, 2026

The Cottingley Secret by Hazel Gaynor -
 
1917… It was inexplicable, impossible, but it had to be true—didn’t it? When two young cousins, Frances Griffiths and Elsie Wright from Cottingley, England, claim to have photographed fairies at the bottom of the garden, their parents are astonished. But when one of the great novelists of the time, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, becomes convinced of the photographs’ authenticity, the girls become a national sensation, their discovery offering hope to those longing for something to believe in amid a world ravaged by war. Frances and Elsie will hide their secret for many decades. But Frances longs for the truth to be told.
 
One hundred years later… When Olivia Kavanagh finds an old manuscript in her late grandfather’s bookshop she becomes fascinated by the story it tells of two young girls who mystified the world. But it is the discovery of an old photograph that leads her to realize how the fairy girls’ lives intertwine with hers, connecting past to present, and blurring her understanding of what is real and what is imagined. As she begins to understand why a nation once believed in fairies, can Olivia find a way to believe in herself?
 

October 3, 2026

The Mercy Falls Collection by Colleen Coble -
 

The Lightkeeper’s Daughter

A storm brings an injured stranger and a dark secret to Addie Sullivan’s California lighthouse home. The man insists she is not who she thinks she is, but rather the child long lost and feared dead by the wealthy Eaton family.

Addie secures employment in the Eatons’ palatial home, keeping her identify a secret. As dusty rooms and secret compartments give up their clues about her past, Addie finds faith and a forever love.

The Lightkeeper’s Bride

Working the phone lines one evening, Katie Russell overhears a chilling exchange between her friend Eliza and a familiar male voice. Katie soon learns that Eliza has disappeared, and the crime may be linked to another investigation headed by the handsome new lighthouse keeper, Will Jesperson. Katie and Will soon form an alliance—an alliance that blossoms into something more.

The Lightkeeper’s Ball

Olivia Stewart is heiress to an empire. Her family numbers among the Four Hundred—those considered the most distinguished in America. But their wealth has evaporated and now their security rests upon Olivia marrying well.

Using her family’s long-forgotten English title, Olivia travels to Mercy Falls, California, as Lady Devonworth. There she plans to marry Harrison Bennett, a wealthy bachelor. Harrison soon falls for her, but it turns out they’ve both been hiding something.  
 

October 3, 2026

The book I am getting ready to start is The Shadow of the Gods by John Gwynne.
 
I have read so much Christian Fiction the first part of the year, and I need a little break so I don't get burned out.  I think I have quite a selection of different genres with these books to shift my reading to a more October like feel. 
 
What are you reading at the moment? 

No comments: