Thursday, September 04, 2008

Oh pain in the neck!

http://www.ppmrc.com/assets/images/generalrehab/bigstockphoto_Neck_Pain_1442814.jpg

I've mentioned my annoying neck before haven't I? Well seems that I can't really do certain things without the impending muscle pain, so last week I overdid it.

The kids were at school and I was all into cleaning and rearranging and I completely redid the living room, and not it wasn't a case of adding a decorative pillow or changing curtains...Noooooo, Sandra had to do the whole shebang. I moved everything around which included but not limited to pushing a big sectional couch, a computer armoire, 2 computer desks, a big huge tv etc etc.

If that wasn't enough, then I went outside the next day and proceeded to get rid of all the old lemon tree branches that have been falling down. Listen people, these branches are heavy and they prick too. So I pulled them all the way from one side of the yard across to the other side and then hauled them over the fence and into Curt's big truck.

Why?!?!?! Why do I subject myself to these things when I know I'll suffer later?

So for the past 3 days I had a pain in my back, on my right side shoulder blade area, and my wonderful husband massaged it for me and I massaged it myself, I kinda contorted my arm and fingers to try and bring some relief and then last night it happened.....the pain from my back subsided but then it moved up to my neck, right at the top of my spine. It moved there and pitched a tent. Dagnabit!!!

I spent all night tossing and turning and woke up this morning which such pain that it makes it hard to turn my head to the right or the left, as a matter of fact it's all so tensed up and sore that it's making my head feel like it weighs a ton. UGH!

I can look down and put my chin to my chest, I can lay my head on my shoulders on both sides but if I try to turn it or look up then WOO WEE.

So I've used some tiger balm and a heat pad and now here I sit, all miserable and smelling like an Olympic Athlete minus the Gold Medals. Pretty sad!

I've made the beds, I've done the dishes and that's it, I'm not moving another finger, not while I feel like this, maybe tomorrow it will start feeling better and I'll ease into doing things.....but for now....lesson learned, do NOT rearrange a room on your own or haul branches around. You will pay for it later, boy will you pay for it.

15 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Sandra.
I'm so sorry that you neck/back are sore.Have you tried some cold? I know when Rob had his back troubles he did hot first of course but was told to use cold instead.Perhaps that would work? maybe also no tiger balm ..take 3 ibuprofen as well.. can you order dinner in ?hugs and hope that you feel better soon..

Renee said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Aww, I hope you feel better soon Sandra!

Love n' hugs.

Sarah x

Barbara said...

Early this year I ended up with a problem in my back, still don't know what I did, but I went to a chiropracter for the first time in my life. As he was poking around and explaining what happened I cuold feel exactly what he was talking about. He fixed it and I cuold believe how much better it felt right away. It took 3 visits to get it to stay in alignment, but mine was a jammed vertebrae. For all the pain I had been in the night before, it was worth it, and I'd go again. You may want to consider it... I hope you feel better soon, back/neck pain is the worst

Wendi said...

Well, that doesn't sound like fun! I hope you are feeling better by morning.

Christina said...

I get this a lot. Every few months I will pull something in my back and it seems to happen more often. I guess it is a sign of not being 20 anymore. Hope you feel better soon.

autumnesf said...

I second the chiropractor and alternate the heat and ice - 15 to 30 minutes at a time each (not back to back).

Susanne said...

Hope it's better soon! The lady who does my massages, always had me soak in a warm tub or use a heating pad before I came, and then when I got home she'd have me ice it for about 10 minutes.

Cheri said...

That is so painful! You don't realize how much you move your neck until it hurts!
Hope it's better soon.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ugh, that sounds awful, that's too much for you to do in a month, much less two days! I hope you start to feel much better soon, take it easy and get some rest :)

Amy said...

Oh, girl!! I am feeling for ya tonite... youchie!!! Motrin cocktail??

Mozi Esme said...

Sorry! Hope you feel better soon!

Tami @ This Mom's Delight said...

Oh, how I sympathize! Hope you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better. I just started going to the chiropractor as well and they are having me put a cold pack wrapped in a towel on my neck three times a day for ten minutes. They said the cold does a better job of taking the inflamation down. They also have me taking liquid glucosimin chondorotin (forgive the spelling) He said liquid gets into your system faster.

Take care,

Jerri

gail@more than a song said...

No fun, hope you feel better soon! I hate when that happens and you do too much!