Thursday, November 20, 2008

Slow Cooking Thursday!

[sctbutton.jpg]

All my slow cooking recipes are now online and starting today, I will add all the recipes shared weekly to my online del.icio.us site too. So if you're wanting to find ALL the slow cooked recipes that have been shared since the first SLOW COOKING THURSDAY, here is the link for you.

Don't forget to add your name to Mr Linky and a link back to your SCT post so others can come by and see your recipe too.

As always, share your slow cooking recipes but if you REALLY REALLY don't have one and still want to participate, then you can share any kind of recipe.

Did you know:

* Very light colored sweet potatoes are not as sweet and are drier than the darker-skin ones.
* Darker skinned sweet potatoes are by contrast moist and sweet when cooked.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/images/beautyshots/r37165fp.jpg

Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

* 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
* 1 1/2 c applesauce (cinnamon flavored is good as well)
* 4 tbls butter melted
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon - or less if you used cinnamon flavored applesauce - I go by my "nose."
* 1/2 c chopped nuts - walnuts are great as are pecans - toast for extra flavor first

Procedure:

1. Place sweet potatoes in a slow cooker, at least 3 qts (Double everything if cooking for a crowd )
2. Mix ingredients and pour over potatoes. Do not add water, keep covered and it will make it's own steam.
3. Cover and cook 6 - hours until potatoes are very tender.
4. Sprinkle with nuts before serving - do not add nuts before then, as they could get soft.



14 comments:

Jen said...

This looks really good. Sweet Potatoes are my favorite. I'm going to try this Thursday.

Mari said...

Hi Sandra - can you believe this - no one in my immediate family, including me likes sweet potatoes. This looks like a great way to do them though!

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy! Thanks for hosting!


MJ

threesidesofcrazy said...

Those look so yummy!! I can't wait to try them.

Mississippi Songbird said...

I luv me some sweet taters...lol

YUMMY!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Another great recipe! Thanks, Sandra! I'm sharing this one with my mom!

Tammy

Cris said...

You always come up with great recipes for the slow cooker, I started to use mine more often. Beijos

Anonymous said...

Like the sweet potato idea. Might have to do in time for next week: Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing your recipes. Vikki, a kinda-foodie www.food-self-sufficiency.blogspot.com

Kirstin said...

THis looks yummy! Maybe even a healthier version of the brown sugar/marshmallow version, though that is sure good. Does it have a sweet taste?

heidi @ ggip said...

I most certainly did NOT know that about potatoes! Thanks!

Pennies In My Pocket said...

I'm not a huge sweet potato fan, but this recipe looks fab! :-)

I'm not seeing Mr. Linky...I did post a recipe for Slow Cooking Thursday...Sweet & Sour Pork. Mmmmm

:)

~melody~

Anonymous said...

I never thought about applesauce with sweet potatoes.. sounds yummy and will have to give it a try. My family loves sweet potatoes any way I fix them.
Thanks for sharing.

Renee said...

I'll have to try this one out! Thanks for sharing.

Blessed Beyond said...

These sound Great!!!