Tuesday, June 18, 2019

{Around the house}

_MG_5376

Hi everyone :)

I've had a really good homemaky kinda day.  Yes homemaky, even though that is not a proper word, but in my world I sometimes throw out words that get my point across and easily describe what I'm referring to.

So your word for today is.....Homemaky!!!

My Jasmine was off work today, she was actually not feeling well at all and had to call in.  She hated it.  Hated calling in.  Hated missing work because she had perfect attendance.  I do love how much she enjoys her work and how devoted and dedicated she is to it.

With her not needing to go in, I was suddenly left with a whole day to do what I love the most, potter around the house.

_MG_5371

One of the first things I did was make the bed, as always, and then I messed around with the lights I got this weekend.  I can't for the life of me find a way to display them, that I'm happy with.  For now, this is how they will stay.

I then moved into my kitchen, which is still one of my favorite spots in my home.  I don't think it much matters where we live, the kitchen is always the place I spend most of my days in.  I'm either cooking or baking, cleaning or rearranging, I don't know why, but it makes me happy.


_MG_5372

You know for a long time I used to feel quite disappointed when I thought about all that I don't like in this house, and all that I would love to change.  The plans are many, the ideas flow constantly, but we are leasing and that of course means that we can't exactly do much, at least not until we buy the house.

_MG_5373

And so it really comes down to working with what you have, embracing the house you have and thanking God for everything in it, even if it is not to your liking.

_MG_5377

One of the things I most dislike in the kitchen, is the backsplash.  I find it so ugly and so ridiculous, I'm not sure why on earth they did it that way, but the day we buy, that is one of the first things to come down.  My idea is to have white kitchen cabinets, black hardware, and either stone tiles or ceramic blue and white tiles, much like the ones we see in the kitchens in Portugal.

https://imagens-revista.vivadecora.com.br/uploads/2017/09/azulejo-portugues-intercalado-cozinha.jpg

All of those dreams will come true one day, but not for at least a year or two, and so we are left with the choice of how to deal with that realization.  I can either sulk and be sad about it or I can love what I have before me and work around it.  That is what I've chosen to do.

Is the kitchen outdated? Yes!!! Is it old fashioned? Absolutely!!! But I'll take it I'm blessed to have a roof over my head and a big kitchen to cook my meals in.

_MG_5379

Live, Laugh, Love, that is it right there.

_MG_5380

_MG_5382

_MG_5383

I even had time to sit on my bed and look through some cookbooks.  The Taste of Home Favorites is filled with yummy recipes that I will definitely be making soon.

I'm a huge Taste of Home fan, I used to collect all their magazines and my mother in law even gave me some that used to belong to her and Curt's grandmother.  I still love flipping through the pages and always find something that looks so good.

It's quite funny how quickly the day goes by when you're doing absolutely nothing, I guess time is going to fly no matter if your running around like crazy, or hanging around the house.

After much pottering around, I went back to my kitchen and started prepping dinner, which was the copycat Chick-Fil-a Sandwiches, some waffle fries, and homemade Chick-Fil-a sauce. 

_MG_5386

It turned out SO good, I can't wait to share the recipe with you all tomorrow. 

While dinner cooked I got the Lunch Lady Brownies made, and those are to.die.for.  Oh my goodness.  I may have had one after dinner, even though I was full.  Oops!

Look out for that recipe tomorrow as well.

_MG_5392

I may not have a Pinterest worthy house, but it is MY house and I pour a lot of love into every corner, in order to provide a safe and happy home for my family. 

At the end of the day, my children and husband could care less what color walls I have, or if the curtains are lace or cotton, what they will remember is the meals I prepared, the times we chatted over a slice of cake or the smell of fresh sheets on the bed.

Our job is not to provide magazine worthy rooms, but it IS to provide love and attention, and if we are doing it the right way, it doesn't matter where we live, what our furnishings look like or if we are wealthy.

2 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Praying that Jasmine is feeling better today.

Your love of homemaking is a joy to read about, and inspiring.

Enjoy this new day that you are blessed with ~ FlowerLady

Jean said...

Hope Jasmine is feeling much better. Oh, that kitchen window is so pretty! Our house is designed in a way that I have no kitchen window (It used to have a window but the previous owners added a room behind the kitchen and now, no window in the kitchen). It's the one thing I miss so very much from when I lived at home as a child, a kitchen with a window over the sink. Those ceramic blue & white tiles look so pretty, I can just imagine them in your someday kitchen :) Sounds like you had a wonderful day!