Thursday, January 24, 2013

A day of rain.....

and the beautiful scent of wet earth, and cooler temperatures and tea, and cookies and all sorts of goodies.

2013_01240001

I love days like these, when you wake up to cloudy skies and sprinkles that quickly turn to big fat drops of rain.

Aside from the fact that I really love the rain, I think I love the scent it brings even more, and for that reason alone when it starts pouring, my kitchen window is opened so that we can enjoy nature's aroma.

2013_01240005

You may want to sit down with a cup of tea or coffee, because this post is going to be filled with photos.  I couldn't help it, the whole atmosphere of the day just propelled me into a photo taking trance.

No, it's not that bad, really....but yes, there are quite a few :)

2013_01240009

There's something about candles and lamps, on a rainy day that just makes me happy. Maybe it's the reflections it paints on the windows....

2013_01240013

Or the way that everything seems to look prettier with it's pretty glow

2013_01240014

It also puts me in the mood for tea, not so much coffee, but copious amounts of hot tea that burn your lip when you try to take the first sip.

Reminds me of my greatgrandmother, that's how she loved her tea, scalding hot, and she would set it in front of her, wrap her fingers around the mug and take tiny little sips throughout the night.

2013_01240020

So many topics were covered over a hot cup of tea. I would listen to her stories about her childhood and how hard it was, what she did, where she went and how she felt. She would tell me what a homemaker and wife should do, how she should act.

There were tons of ideas, advice, recipes, tips.

I often look at this book and think that for so many years, and during the most crucial moments of my life as she watched over us during the day, that she was my "Whispers of Encouragement". There in the flesh, always ready to offer comfort and always knowing just what to say.

2013_01240019

I do miss her tremendously.

2013_01240030

As the rain continued to come down, I spent some time admiring it from inside my house, just watching the drops splash on the glass panes

2013_01240044

and trickle down the leaves of the plants

2013_01240034

I pulled out my crochet and made myself a spot right next to the door, propped on comfy pillows and wrapped in my crochet blanket, I sat there for about 30 minutes, just mindlessly letting my fingers work their magic while I listened to the rain outside

2013_01240042

Another pot of tea was brewed and enjoyed

2013_01240075

along with some cookies

2013_01240086

and while laundry was drying, and cookies were baking, I also made a batch of Homemade Vanilla Flavored Coffee Syrup

2013_01240077

Oh it was a good day, a good rainy, dark day. One made for staying inside and puttering around the house surrounded by lamps and candles and blankets.

Now, the kids are playing a game on their Nintendos, my husband is at class, and I am going to finish my book on the kindle so I can start my new one, which I'm so excited about.

Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini. I've looked forward to this one for such a long time.

Before I leave though, here's what we had for dinner. A Husband's Delight, from one of the Amish cookbooks. The name makes me laugh, but it was delicious and got the thumbs up from the family.

2013_01240087

Have a blessed night and as always, thank you for stopping by and visiting with me.



11 comments:

Judy said...

this is my kind of post, I love a good rainy day, and I always have the windows and doors open unless the rain is coming in. I'm heading over to check out your vanilla flavored coffee syrup.

Lulu said...

i love the rain also, i guess even more so since we dont get enough of it..hope you had a wonderful day..
food looks delich, as usual..

Wendi said...

Beautiful post... love this kind of day!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I love a rainy day when I can be snug inside too! Your photos made me feel the atmosphere! There definitely is something cozy about candles and lamps on days like this!

Your supper dish looks yummy too!

Have a great upcoming weekend too!

Blessings,
Tammy

~Carla~ said...

Beautiful post!! :) I love reading about your days... You always inspire me! I bought that little book after you posted about it last time... It is a little gem isn't it?! :)

Anonymous said...

We also have had a wet day here and it's the last day of school holidays . I love days like this too. Cozy and warm!

MindyG said...

:) lovely

Amber said...

Love all the pics of your cozy day! And that spaghetti dish does look quite yummy!

Renee said...

Beautiful post! I love the sound of rain. Can't wait to try the recipe out. Have a great weekend!

Simply Oils said...

That coffee syrup looks delicious!

~Victoria

Cathy said...

You drew me right in with this post. I can almost hear the rain falling now. This is my kind of day...perfection!