Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Welcome Fall, I've missed you!

 
I am so happy to see this first day of Fall finally arrive.  I've been looking forward to this day all year long.

In preparation for the official first day of Fall, it seems that the weather has been changing over the past few week, matter of fact, the last two days the temperatures have been lowering and giving us very Fall like days.  I of course have been loving every second of it.
 
Autumn
Charlotte L. Riser

When the trees their summer splendor
Change to raiment red and gold,
When the summer moon turns mellow,
And the nights are getting cold;
When the squirrels hide their acorns,
And the woodchucks disappear;
Then we know that it is autumn,
Loveliest season of the year.

Copious amounts of Lattes have been consumed, cinnamon and nutmeg, ginger and pumpkin pie spice have flavored frothy milk paired with yummy coffee.  My Latte machine has come out of storage and now has it's own reserved spot on the counter.  I think I am ready for this.

Latte

Tomorrow, I will make some of Laura Ingalls Wilder Gingerbread, as a welcome to this wonderful season.

I just realized though that as I was checking to make sure I had the ingredients I needed, I have no pumpkin puree in my pantry.  That has to be remedied immediately.

Do you do that as well?  Do you keep certain items on hand during different seasons?  I tend to to do that, and so in the Fall season I have pumpkin puree, molasses and a lot of spices on the shelves.  Christmas I always have chocolate and peppermint, powdered sugar, shortening, lots of cinnamon and mixed fruits.

Can you believe that just next week it will be October, and then soon after that Thanksgiving and then Christmas?  It always feels like a crazy race the minute that September comes to and end, a race that I'm not sure I'm quite ready for yet.

I've been puttering around the house today, doing my usual chores but also trying to get other things taken care of, mainly computer stuff.  I have two reviews that I am posting this week and really need to get the photos taken.  I also have computer work that needs my attention, like a new schedule that I'm trying to make using Excel, which I will tell you, I am not very good at, it gives me headaches and I find it so confusing whereas my husband constantly tells me it's extremely easy.

Who knows, maybe I'm getting dumb as I get older?

For lunch the kids requested some Tuna Salad.  It seems to be a favorite around here, and I quite enjoy it myself.

Tuna Salad

After lunch we got busy with our homeschooling and once that was done and my niece and nephew had gone home, I got dinner going and then sat down for a few moments to work on my newest crochet project.

Spin me Round Cushion

I got the pattern from my Handmade magazine and when I saw it, I knew that I had to make one for myself. I decided to go with more of an Autumn inspired color palette, using beige, green and red.

It's worked in wedges both for the front and the back, but the front will have the addition of ruffles too. I'm quite excited to see how it turns out.

Spin me Round Cushion

It is just what I needed right now.

I don't know what is going on with me lately, but the past week I have felt completely restless. Have you ever had that feeling where you don't quite know what you want to do, but have so many things that need to be done, but yet none seem to please you? I find myself sitting down because I have no energy or motivation to do anything, but then thinking that I need to be up and doing something, only to find that no matter what I get busy with just bores me.

It's so hard to explain exactly what I'm feeling, I hope some of you out there can understand.

My husband says that I have a lot on my mind and am just overwhelming myself, I tend to agree and this month hasn't been an easy one for us, so I'm wondering if maybe it just threw me off kilter.

Aside from praying incessantly, I have also started reading this book.....

The Shelter of God's Promises

Even though I'm currently reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, I needed something that would help me through this complicated time in my life.  I think Sheila Walsh and The Shelter of God's Promises is just what I need.

The failures, disappointments, and regrets keep us questioning:  Do God's promises hold fast when everything else is falling apart?

That single line could have easily been spilled from my mouth.  I think of that all the time, especially in those moments where things see to be especially difficult.  This book is teaching me that no matter what is going on in my life, His promises are there, never failing. 

What a relief!!

I am looking forward to reading the book from cover to cover, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing how these words and teachings help me think straight and see clear.  I need it, I need to set my sights on the Lord and not stray.

Easier said than done, but then the things worth fighting for are often the hardest, right?

8 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

I agree, the things most worth having are often the hardest fought for and the most worth it. I hope that you can find your way through with the help of some spices and latte's in those little moments to help you take a step back. I hate it when people tell me something is easy and I am struggling with it, I hope though that you can work through everything and the excel thing - just take it a little bit at a time is what I find works for me. Thinking of you. Hugs. xx

Jen said...

I love that book "The Shelter". Someone gave it to me last year during all of our trials. It was such a comfort to me.

O oooh! Laura's gingerbread is one of our favorites here. I only make it once a year (when we get our first snowfall). I should make it more often. But for now I like it for that special day.

Have a blessed day!

Simply Quaint said...

I have never made gingerbread will definetly give it a try. I as well try to keep our pantry stocked with seasonal items, summer asloit of salad stuff, fall/winter stocks for soups, pumpkin for anything pumokin , I love pumpkin, ingredients by or breads, etc.
I can not wait to see your new crocheting project.. It looks hard....I am not good at looking or reading patterns for crocheting, now if you show me I can pretty well pick it up... I taught myself the vstitch using you tube. Enjoy your day and those yummy cups of latte....
Hugs
Rhonda

Renee said...

Happy Fall! I am re-reading the Outlander series and so enjoying it as well as the tv series. I've been catching up on your blog - as always, I truly enjoy your posts. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I bake gingerbread with sorghum and honey. Delicious. I top it with homemade applesauce too.

Connie said...

Your posts are always inspiring. As for Excel - well I too think it is hard; just keep working on in and all of a sudden it will make sense. Have a wonderful day.

Carol said...

How funny! I checked out the book "Crochet at Home" the other day and that pattern was in it! I was eyeing it, too.

Conny said...

one of your lattes might convince me to like Fall just a little bit ... ;)

Yes, the restless feeling I know well. I get that way when things seem uncertain or I have no idea what to expect about something big. I know God's got it under control ... but I still want Him to move at MY time frame!! :) Glad you're finding comfort in good books and your husband's support.