I had my baking day yesterday, so lots of yummy bread loaves were baked. These were two of the ones I made, so good :)
Homemade Buttermilk Bread
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup water and 4 tbsp buttermilk powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups bread flour
- In small saucepan, heat 1 cup water and 3 tbsp butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool until warm.
- In small bowl, add 1/2 cup warm water and the dry yeast. Stir yeast until it is dissolved. Set bowl aside and continue with the next step.
- In large bowl, mix buttermilk, honey, sugar, salt, and vinegar. When the butter water is warml to the touch, pour into large bowl. Add yeast water.
- Begin adding bread flour one cup at a time. When the dough is too stiff to mix with the wooden spoon, about 5 cups, turn out onto a floured board.
- Knead in the remaining flour until the dough is firm and smooth. Put dough in a buttered bowl and flip dough so that the top of it is lightly buttered. Cover and let rise until double in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto floured board. Knead bubbles out of dough. Divide dough into to equal halves.
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F. Form dough into two loaves. Place in buttered bread pans. Cover and let rise until double in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter. Brush butter on to bread tops. Using a sharp knife, make three light slashes across the bread tops. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans and let cool on a rack or dishtowel.