Monday, January 06, 2014

Happy Homemaker Monday - 01/06/2014

Brrrrr it's cold this morning.  Hope you all had a good weekend and are ready for the week ahead.

We had a good relaxing weekend though it always seems to go by so fast, I am not sure I'm ready for another whole week of business.

As per Miss Ruthie Aileen's request, I have added in the "Plans for this week" category :)  You will find it right under the To Do List.  Enjoy, and if any of you have other suggestions, just let me know.


As I look outside my window:::
15 degrees at the moment and very cold but we're supposed to get up to 36 today, so that will warm us up a little.  There's still lots of ice on the ground, cars and roof tops.

Right now I am:::
Enjoying my first cup of coffee with Irish Creme Creamer, but I'm actually not a big fan of the creamer so I can't wait until it's finished so I can get a different one LOL

Thinking and pondering:::
On schooling, have to make sure everyone is caught up and finished for this semester.  Also thinking about our moving claims which we have yet to hear back on. 

On my bedside table:::
Sat up on Saturday night with my brother and sister in law and uploaded a ton of books to our Kindles and tablets.  Hayley told me about a book author which I had never heard of before but he writes along the lines of Dean Koontz and Stephen King.  John Saul.
I downloaded some of his books to my kindle and am currently reading The Blackstone Chronicles and REALLY enjoying it. 

On my tv tonight:::
Hubby and I started watching Alphas and we're enjoying it.  I still have to watch the last episode of Death Comes to Pemberley.  Also have a ton of series to catch up on.  We got a Roku for Christmas and I'm enjoying exploring it, do any of you have one and can give me some tips and ideas on free channels etc?

Listening to:::
My hubby and the pugs snoring away and the crackling of the fire.

On the menu for this week:::
Preparing the new Menu, so not sure yet.  For tonight I have some Elk that was gifted to us, so I guess I'll prepare that somehow.
Monday - Costoletas de Porco a Moda do Minho ( Portuguese Pork Chops)
Tuesday - Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken
Wednesday - Rissois de atum c/ batata frita (Tuna Rissoles)
Thursday - Peixe com natas (Creamy Fish bake)
Friday - Sausage Rice
Saturday - Tomatillo and Cilantro Chicken Enchiladas
Sunday - Chicken and Rice Soup, Sandwiches

On my to do list:::
Laundry to put away, few items to iron
Mopping
Cleaning house
Homeschooling

Plans for this week:::
Tae Kwon Do with the kids tonight, Wednesday and Thursday
Tiffany has dancing every day except for Friday
Tuesday I have to make a run to base with Jasmine for a haircut and then a quick pop into the commissary to pick up some chicken thigs

What I am sewing, crocheting, knitting or creating:::
Working on my Crochet Mood Blanket.  You can watch it's progress on this post, I'll be adding the squares as I make them.
 
My simple pleasure:::

Ironing.....I know half of the population just scoffed as they read that, but truly, I love it. 

Lesson learned the past week:::
That nothing is impossible, and with a little patience and effort, everything works out.  Menu planning lately has been quite a juggle of easy recipes, big enough meals for 8 and keeping it cheap, but God has taught me that it CAN be done if I just apply myself to it and make a lot of things at home instead of buying premade. 

Looking around the house:::
Need to give my bedroom a vacuum and dusting, same as the living room.  The kitchen needs to be swept and mopped and dishes from dinner need to be packed away so I can wash the ones from breakfast.  We have 2 Christmas decorations outside that need to be brought in and packed away.

From the camera:::
Hubby and I at Bruneau Dunes

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1551648_10152162678583395_1195917199_n.jpg

Prayer List:::
Family and friends.

Bible verse, Devotional:::
Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 1 Peter 1:13 NIV

15 comments:

Carol said...

I enjoy ironing, too! There is something very relaxing about it. And I love seeing the wrinkles disappear :-) And thanks for the info on the crochet blanket group -- started mine last night. Still have to catch up!

Anonymous said...

I love my peppermint mocha creamer, but it's almost gone, and out of the stores too for the season.
I loved the photos yesterday of that huge dune!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding my suggestion. I feel honored! Coconut curry chicken sounds great and even better being cooked in the slow cooker! Enjoy your week!

Heather@To Sow a Seed said...

I am a horrible housewife who is delighted that my 16 yo daughter loves ironing. Lol

Liz said...

I have to say, I admire you for many things, but grocery shopping and cooking for a family of 8 is a big one. I have no idea how you do it. Could you maybe share some of your tips for meal planning, grocery shopping, and even cooking for such a big family? I know that you mentioned before using meat from the clearance type of section and making by hand, not buying premade, but what other tricks do you have? You are a busy woman so you don't have unlimited time in the kitchen. My family is growing by the minute and I can't be the only one, feeling like I'm drowning when it comes to grocery shopping and meal prep for all of us.

Wendi said...

I enjoy ironing also. Especially when the weather is nice and the move the ironing board to the back porch. As it is currently -12 here with a -39 wind chill I am dreaming of ironing of the back porch!

Mandi said...

I agree with you on the Irish Cream - so gross! I'm the same way, though, gotta finish the rest before you get new :) Oh the life of being frugal! Glad to jump back in today - it's been awhile.

Unknown said...

We actually cancelled our cable and all we have is Roku. We use Netflix, Amazon and Allrecipes. I recently just added a free Pilates channel too. Just play around on it and you will find all sorts of things! My kids change the backgrounds often too so there are lots of options! Keep us posted if you find anything neat!

Unknown said...

Try the Girl Scouts thin mint creamer, it is awesome!!

Sarah said...

I have my coffee black, always. So any kind of cream/creme makes me go blurgh! LOL :)

Death Comes to Pemberley was awesome. I loved the last episode. PD James did a good job. I wasn't 100% keen on the actress that played Lizzie though - but only a little bit.

Have a great Monday. It's 9.33pm here, so mine's nearly over. xx

Conny said...

there must be something soothing in ironing for some people ... you aren't the only one I know who enjoys it. I personally just throw things in the dryer if they are wrinkled too bad - or iron if I absolutely need to (like for hubby's work). :)
To each their own!!!! :)

Blissful & Domestic said...

Thanks so much Sandra! I love your blog always!

Kathy Skinner (Kat) said...

Ironing is definitely not my thing! Love the pic of you and hubby:)

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love the idea of the crocheted mood blanket. I want to do this as well, if time permits. Thanks for another Happy Homemaker Monday! Have a great week!

Christy said...

Where did Monday go? I thought today was it and then realized it wasn't! We got a Roku for Christmas too but I haven't been able to really enjoy it yet. We also got the Mohu leaf antenna in hopes of completely eliminating our cable bill, but it does not work perfectly so that is what we have been playing around with. For the Roku we added Amazon, Netflix, SciFi, public tv, BYUtv because I am LDS and it has a lot of content that interests me, and some others that we probably will not use, so I look forward to hearing from you on any awesome channels you come across! Have a great week!