Tuesday, October 07, 2014

The colors of Autumn...

Have you noticed that as Autumn comes around, we all tend to gravitate towards the reds and browns and oranges?  Or at least I tend to, and I don't do it intentionally, which is the funniest thing.

As I went about my homemaking yesterday, I took some pictures here and there and it wasn't a surprise that I had inadvertently been surrounding myself with such colors.

Reds, lots of reds and whites....oranges...browns....

Making of apple butter

And the aromas of apple, pumpkin and spices. *sigh*

Favorite scent of the season

Speaking of aromas, this is my favorite scent of the season. You know what it actually reminds me of? The country stores I go to, they always seem to smell of cinnamon and apple. Anyway, yes, this is my fave at the moment.

Peeling apples

First thing I did yesterday morning, was to peel a whole bag of apples, and throw them in the crockpot for 8 hours. This time of the year I love having homemade Apple Butter, so that task was imperative.

It slow cooked for 8 long hours, and then had to sit on the counter overnight. Torture I tell you. I was able to get two jars out of it and already dug into one this morning, slathered on some biscuits. Yum!

Apple Butter

Homemade Apple Butter

Are you noticing the recurring pattern?  I didn't even realize that I had all these Autumn colors around me.

Crochet dishcloth

I got all my homemaking chores done.  Vacuuming and mopping, sweeping, dishes, laundry, bedrooms and living room.......all I need to do today is dusting.

It felt so good to be puttering around my house with my cleaning supplies in hand, just doing what I love, taking care of my home and my family.  I don't know about you all, but to me, it brings me immense pleasure to be a homemaker, and I just couldn't imagine doing anything else.

Pumpkin Candle

Sometimes I am asked why I do what I do? Why be a homemaker? Wouldn't I rather be out working, and what pleasure I can possible get from doing these chores day in and day out?

The answer for me is so simple.

Because I love it, and because when I walk past a corner of my house and see a candle burning, or a homemade decoration, or when I see a smile on my husband and children's faces when they sit down at the table for dinner, and are presented with a meal made from scratch.

That right there is my reward, that makes it all worth it for me.

I honestly believe that I was born to be a homemaker.  No really!

I know some of you may laugh or find it absurd, but I am being completely honest, the yearning for it began when I was about 5 years old, if not younger.

I vividly remember that my favorite things to do, was pretend to cook, pretend to have a home, I would turn my bedroom into a small house and I would pretend I had just came home from work and had to fix dinner and do the chores, put children to bed etc.

It gave me such immense pleasure, you just have no idea.

Sun starting to set

Each night, as I sit out on the deck and watch the sun start to set....

Sun starting to set

I thank God for allowing me to do what I love because in essence I really am living my dream.

Sun starting to set

How many people out there can say that?

So yes, even when the going gets tough, or when I see a sink full of dishes just 30 minutes after I finished washing and packing them all, or when one of my kids accidentally spills sloshy milky cereal all over my counter and floors....I still believe I am living my dream.

Some may find it crazy, me, I am just content with my life and what I'm doing, and at the end of the day, being content and happy with ourselves is worth gold. Isn't it?

7 comments:

Jen said...

I just love the colors of autumn. We still have a lot of green here. But they are slowly changing over. I just love this time of year.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Unknown said...

Autumn is by far my most favorite season I love the colors, the smells and flavors....I too love being a homemaker I love my home, sad to be selling but we will find that right one...I love making applesauce and apple butter in the crockpot it makes the whole house smell yummy...try freezing your applesauce its easy and relish....
Hugs
Rhonda

Wendi said...

I also enjoy being a homemaker. I love
home!

I imagine your home smelled delicious.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I tend to love fall colors and smells year round! So fall is happy news for me!

Amy at love made my home said...

I love that you are living your dream!!! Long may it continue. xx

Felicia said...

I get the homemaking dream, it was always one of mine and I am blessed to be able to live out my dream.

Nothing makes me happier than to put up fresh washed/ironed clothes in my husbands closet. There is just this sense of pride that comes with it knowing I am taking care of the small details for him.

I love fall and the colors! My house smells like pumpkin pie right now and it's driving me nuts (baked pie last night for the Supernatural season premiere cause I'm a dork like that)

My wardrobe always reflects fall when it finally starts cooling off.

Linds said...

I am like you - I love the apples/ cinnamon / golds etc. and pumpkins and cosiness. But this year, Autumn is staying packed up. I ran out of energy. With the cataract op yesterday, I can't lift stuff, bend over, swim, drive..... Screech. But I CAN see!
I was so sad to read about your parents, Sandra. You had mentioned concerns before, but it must be devastating for you all. Lots of love and hugs. Xx