Sunday, October 05, 2014

Weekend in Review!



I feel like I haven't posted in ages, even though it's only been but a few days.

My life right now is just a jumble of things, chaos and craziness and I'm finding that a lot of things I want to do, are just simply being put aside.

Just this morning, as I was sipping my coffee, I was thinking about how life was two years ago, back in Arizona, and I feel like I had it all together, all under control, something that right now I am afraid, I don't.

I do miss those homemaking simple days of years gone by and I'm hoping, really really really hard that they come back soon....like tomorrow would be nice.

Anyway, I thought I would come in and tell you about my weekend, it wasn't extraordinary but it was pretty good.  Things seem to have calmed down on the family front, at least for the moment, so I'm going to enjoy it.

I am also going to do my very best to go back to my simple days and simple ways....matter of fact, starting tomorrow that is exactly what I'm planning on doing.

Harvest Festival

The fun part of living in a small town, are all the activities that are constantly going on throughout the year. This Saturday we had the annual Harvest Festival, which is always a fun thing to go do and see.

Music, food, vendors and all sorts of cute activities for the kids.

We met up with my brother and his family and walked around downtown, checked out the Farmer's Market, the local shops and the Festival too.

Harvest Festival

Lunch time quickly came around and since everyone was hungry, we stopped at Frankie's Burgers. They are by far, one of the best burgers I've ever had and I'm glad they are located right here in this small town. Lucky us right?

Harvest Festival

While the others enjoyed things like bacon burgers, barbecue burgers and Philly Cheesesteaks, I opted to try their Carnita Burger which is like a pork roast burger. My word that was divine. Oh and I had some Fried Zucchini too, which is something I always enjoy.

Living in a town where there is a huge Mexican community, also means that there are quite a few places selling ethnic foods. One in particular I really enjoy, they sell fresh fruit and vegetables and sometimes hard to find items. I am actually going back on Friday because the owner told me they are getting some Quinces in and I need those to make my Portuguese Marmelada. Can't wait.

Picked up a few things there, some red chilies, so good, and we use them a lot in Portuguese food.

Red chilies

Some Saffron and Cumin, for really cheap....

Saffron and Cumin

And some sea salt. I grew up cooking with sea salt and don't like using any other salt for seasoning my food.

Sea Sal

One other thing that this small town has, is at least two cute country stores. I hadn't been in them in many many years, so it was quite a joy to go in and browse around.

Eucalyptus

Picked up some Eucalyptus for this winter, I love the Eucalyptus scent and it works great when you're sick with a cold, especially to help breathing and chest issues.


Sunday::::

This morning started with a trip to the base commissary. When making the menu the other day, I left out 3 meals, I just drew a blank and couldn't figure out what I wanted. I asked the family today for some ideas and was able to fill in those 3 days.

Of course when I ask them, the requests seem to gravitate towards the usual....Spaghetti, Hamburger Helper and Fried Chicken.

Next menu plan, I am cooking only Portuguese meals so I've already started writing them down. I like to keep a running list of a few menu ideas so that when I'm making the plan, I can just add them in.

_MG_7259

Also had to run into the BX to pick up a new Kettle. My electric one broke a few days ago and it was back to boiling water in a small saucepan on the stove. I don't mind, but we use the electric one for so many things, not just coffee and tea, my kids know how to use it themselves when they want to make Ramen Noodles, and I use it for cooking too.

It was just short of $20, which is not bad at all. I don't need anything super fancy.

Came back home, put away the few grocery items and got the laundry going. Had some lunch with the family and then sat down on the couch with my laptop, to relax for a few hours.

As the temperatures cool down, we find ourselves reaching for the scarves and the cute hats and mittens, but I never really have a set place for them, except for in our dressers. My kids, or I should say rather, my son who is 11 years old, is very good at misplacing clothing items, and he can never keep track of where he sets his gloves or hats etc.

A week or so ago, I had seen Judy post a picture of a basket that she keeps near her door, to hold all the knitted and crocheted winter hats and gloves and scarves etc. I thought it was such a great idea, that I am borrowing it for my own home.

_MG_7258

No more misplacing things. Now they can grab what they need on the way out the door, and drop it all back in there on the way in.

I bet you though, that my Nicholas will find a way of *misplacing* something. LOL

So yeah, that was my weekend, nothing major but a good weekend nonetheless. I am finishing up this post and then hubby and I are going to sit in bed and watch Star Trek Enterprise episodes on Netflix....or at least until I fall asleep, which I'm sure will probably be after one episode. *snicker*

Tomorrow is a new day, a new week, and I am recharged and raring to go. I have recipes to post on the food blog, I have two reviews to put up this week, I have homemaking and Fall/Halloween decorating, along with some Apple Butter and Apple Sauce making.

Lots of things going on home wise, as well as Christmas gift planning and also starting to make some of the gifts.

I hope you've had a wonderful weekend and I hope that you will come back tomorrow and every day after, to see what I'm up to.

Good Night friends :)


On this day:
2013 - 31 Days of Autumn
2012 - 31 Days of Autumn
2011 - Domestic Moments
2010 - Fabric Pumpkins
2009 - What's cooking?
2008 - Weekend Chat
2007 - Holiday Cooking Blogger Style
2006 - It's a sad day in our household

6 comments:

gillyflower said...

Sounds a great weekend to me Sandra - a good blend of being out and about and pottering at home with the family. Your town looks full of character!
I always leave your blog with a sense of peace and purpose to go about my chores - thank you for your inspiration!
Gill xx

Amy at love made my home said...

I hope that your return to simple helps and that it works to give you some more peace of mind. Take care. xx

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Enjoy this new week Sandra. Your positive and creative juices are flowing.

FlowerLady

Unknown said...

You have a bit more of your chipperness back, which is wonderful....
Looks like a nice relaxing weekend...can't wait to see what is being made for Christmas and your menu planning too...
Welcome back dear friend...
Blessings
Rhonda

Mari said...

Sounds like the weekend was just what you needed! I think I'd like your town. :)

Wendi said...

I feel like I have been on hampster wheel lately. I too am getting back to a simpler way of living. My new moto is "let go, and let God." Really, fussing and worrying about things out of my control (especially extended family!) just makes me miserable. I am not doing it anymore. (or at least going to try not to!)

Your festival looks like it was fun. I love small town activities!