Saturday, January 30, 2021

{ Antique stores and more books to read }

January 30, 2021

If you love antique stores, raise your hand up, wayyyyyy up high.
 
Y'all, we love browsing around our local antique stores, and we have quite a few good ones in our town.  Matter of fact, Curt and I tend to do this as a date, we go out shopping, sometimes we get some good finds, sometimes we just look and come home empty handed.  
 
Either way, we love doing this together, it's a great way to spend quality time and since the kids are now adults and not interested in hanging out with their parents, we just do our own thing.  HA!!!

January 30, 2021

We went out to get Jasmine from work, but decided to leave an hour earlier and just pop into some of our local antique places.  We stopped at two, took a look around and then remembered that one of our favorites recently moved, and we hadn't yet visited the new location.
 
My goodness were we in for a treat.  A huge building, two story high jam packed with all sorts of treasures.   We didn't get to see much, however, because by the time we arrived we had about 10 minutes before Jasmine clocked out.

20210130_141138

I still managed to grab some books, which I'll show you below.

I have this thing, where I could spend hours inside these places, just looking over every thing, imagining who the previous owner could have been, or trying to figure out the story that goes along with that specific item.

For me it is almost like a step back in time.  I said to Curt today that one day I'm going to have a small room in our house, that I will decorate with a ton of antiques to make it look like you have just been transported back in time.  Yes, I will!

January 30, 2021

Aside from all the cool gadgets and knick knacks, one of the things I always gravitate to, are the old books.  I would love to have a wall to wall shelf filled with old books, of all sizes and colors.

This one below was falling apart, just like it's friends behind on the shelf.  You almost are too scared to pick them up and look through them, but I did nonetheless. 

January 30, 2021

I wish I had had more time to sit and look through them all, but like I said above, we had to leave shortly after arriving.  We will be back on Monday morning though, Curt is off work so we have planned to go back and really take our time looking through everything.

January 30, 2021

Now let me show you what I picked up from the two stores we were in.  

A pecan cracker.  We have been talking about getting one for pecan season which is this year, and were going to order it online, but luckily for us, there was one just sitting there waiting.  So it came home with us.

January 30, 2021

My little haul today, mostly books as you can see.  A pecan cracker and a little doily.

January 30, 2021

Good Housekeeping Meals Tested, Tasted and Approved.  It was released in January 1, 1930, and it's this really cute vintage cookbook.  It is in very good condition for the year it was released.  

January 30, 2021

This one is not vintage by any means, but I love anything to do with the pioneers, the wagon trains and so on.  It looked like something I would enjoy, so I grabbed it.   

January 30, 2021
 
This one is also not vintage, but I just had to get it.  It was just $1 and since I make all of Marley's food, I thought it would be a great addition to my cookbook collection.  Can't wait to see the recipes inside.
 
January 30, 2021
 
This one I was super excited to get too.  It is in amazing condition and was only $8.  It was published in 1950 and as I quickly flipped through the pages, I knew I had to have it.  
 
I believe there is nothing like old cookbooks, the kind my great grandma used to cook from and refer to.  I still remember she had this green book similar to this one, that I wanted so badly, but she gave it to my uncle, and after he passed I have no idea what his wife did with the book.  Broke my heart that I wasn't able to keep it, but since then I have been on the look out for something similar.
 
January 30, 2021

January 30, 2021

January 30, 2021
 
These 4, I was soooooooo and I mean SO happy to find.  I bought one from this collection, at a thrift store, many years ago.  I've actually shown it to you a couple times.  It is called Women, and is such a neat book, filled with information and history, just the perfect book for this history nerd.
 
I had no clue it was part of a collection, and when I say a collection, I don't mean just 5 or 6 books, apparently this collection is huge.  The one antique store had I guess, the full collection, and I had to tell myself NO multiple times.  I will get them all eventually, but not in one go.  
 
And if I'm meant to have them, then God will keep them there, if not, then that is fine too.  
 
By the way, if you're wondering, they are part of The Old West Series.
 
January 30, 2021
 
The Gunfighters.....yeah, I'm reading that one first because it talks about Tombstone and the James brothers, Butch Cassidy and all those interesting gunslingers.
 
The Chroniclers, The Indians and The Loggers.
 
Apparently there are 26 books in this series, and I don't know, but I think it would be a great collection to have on the bookshelf, especially if you like history as much as I do.
 
So that was my little haul.  I spent less than $20 on all these items, I don't remember the exact prices, but they were dirt cheap for sure.
 
I can't wait to get back on Monday to see what else we come across, and if we do bring anything home, I'll show you.

Finally, wanted to show you these two books below, which I've added to my read list for the year of 2021.  The first one is All Creatures Great and Small, and I got it for review many years ago.  It is one of my favorite books and since I recently watched the new tv series adaption, I felt like reading it again.
 
 
Cilka's Journey, is one that I have wanted for a while, ever since I read The Tattooist of Auschwitz, last year.  Curt knew I was looking for it, and got it for me this past week.  
 
I am so looking forward to getting started on it.  
 
Anyway, this post has gone on long enough, I'm sorry it is so long and filled with so many photos, but it's been a while since I've gone to an antique store, or brought any goodies home, and I was excited to show you.
 
Hope you enjoyed it.  Let me know what you think of my finds, and let me know if you also enjoy antiquing as much as we do. 

3 comments:

Mother Em said...

Daughter is into vintage cookbooks; hope she starts using and cooks a little more interesting recipes from the past, haha. Good finds. I love antique shopping as well, but at this age, it will be just other people's finds when we eventually downsize or go beyond! Have a great Sunday and Monday antiquing.

Kara said...

We have a few pretty amazing hole in the wall places near us that I just adore!

Jodi said...

I love antique shops! So many fun treasures to find! The food cookbook for dogs is awesome1! I need an antique weekend shopping trip soon!