Tuesday, December 13, 2022

{ Christmas Period Dramas to watch this season }

 

It's that time of the year.  We turn the TV on usually to Hallmark or Lifetime, and indulge in Christmas movie, after Christmas movie.

The story?

Usually the same.  Girl travels back home, is in a relationship with a rich boyfriend left back where she works, falls in love with a childhood friend, or the new hunk in town trying to steal her business, or compete with her in some sort of Christmas contest.  We know the story, but yet we still watch it over and over.  Right?

This year however, I wanted to do it a little different.  I'm still watching some of the usual on those channels, but I've switched more to period dramas series and movies.  There are some real treasures out there, that maybe you're aware of, but in case you're not, I decided to make a post and list them all.

Initially, I was going to make a list just for myself, but I know that a lot of my readers love period dramas, as much as I do, so why not share it for everyone?

If you read my Happy Homemaker Monday post, I shared some, but there are quite a few more worth mentioning.  

So grab a piece of paper and a pen, and get ready to jot down some super sweet, wholesome, perfect for Christmas series and movies.  

The Christmas Candle - Amazon Prime
Call the Midwife Christmas Specials - Netflix
Victoria Christmas Special - I believe this one is on PBS
Little Women - Amazon Prime
A Little Princess - You can rent it for $2.99 on Amazon Prime
The Chronicles of Narnia - Disney+
Doctor Who Christmas Episodes - HBOMax has all the Doctor Who, but you can rent the episodes on Amazon Prime for $1.99
Love's Christmas Journey - If you enjoyed the Love Comes Softly series, you'll enjoy this one.  I found it on Youtube
An Avonlea Christmas - Online, I linked the movie for you
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - Amazon prime, Disney+, Vudu
The Nativity Story - You can rent it on Amazon Prime for $2.99
The Nativity Series - Amazon Prime
 
 
Now, to add to that list, take note of these:
 
 
 
A Child's Christmas in Wales - A Child's Christmas in Wales is a piece of prose by the Welsh poet Dylan Thomas recorded by Thomas in 1952. Emerging from an earlier piece he wrote for BBC Radio, the work is an anecdotal reminiscence of a Christmas from the viewpoint of a young boy, portraying a nostalgic and simpler time.
 
Watch on Amazon Prime




The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey - A woodcarver is commissioned to replace a lost nativity set, which belonged to a young boy's dead father. As the work progresses, they all come to terms with painful memories. An intense relationship develops between the artisan and the boy's mother.
 
Watch on Amazon Prime




The Man who invented Christmas -a period biopic about Charles Dickens as he creates the timeless Christmas story, A Christmas Carol.

Rent on Amazon Prime or watch on STARZ and Showtime
 
 
 

 Joyeux Noel - With the advent of World War I, Europe is thrown into a brutal and vicious chaos as men are forced to kill or be killed. While blood soaks the battlefield as Christmas approaches, the men in the trenches of the Western Front face a transformation, however fleeting, toward peace and goodwill. Against all odds, four unlikely individuals from opposing sides (Diane Kruger, Benno Fürmann, Guillaume Canet, Gary Lewis) bond during this bloodless respite to experience the hope and goodness in humanity.
 
Rent on Amazon Prime or watch on Tubi TV
 
 
 

Mandie and the Forgotten ChristmasWhile visiting her school's forbidden attic, Mandie stumbles upon the mystery of a long forgotten Christmas.
 
Watch on Amazon Prime
 
 
 

Samantha:  American Girl Christmas - Set in 1904, "American Girls" revolves around Samantha as she moves in with her grandmother and learns how to become a proper Victorian young lady.
 
Rent on Amazon Prime or watch on AMC+ 
 
 
 

Silent Night  - In a cabin in a WWII front, a German mom with a son mediates a truce between 3 German and 3 American soldiers so they can all celebrate Christmas Eve 1944 together.
 
Watch on Amazon Prime 


As I find more, I will be sharing them throughout the month.  I do hope you enjoy these movies, and if there is a specific one you love, that I didn't include in this list, be sure to let me know in the comment section.

2 comments:

Jean said...

I'm so glad you shared this list! I watched The Man Who Invented Christmas last year and could not remember the name of it or where I'd watched it. Definitely worth a re-watch now that I know where to find it. Thank you for reminding me.

Elisha said...

Thank you for sharing your list. Joyeux Noel is on my list too. I blogged about my Top 5 Christmas movies and enjoy reading other's lists.