Wednesday, February 08, 2023

{ Blog 365 #39 - The year of period dramas }

 
I sat at my computer desk the other morning, working on writing down some upcoming period dramas that I really want to see.  As I sat and jotted them down, it hit me, that over the past few years, I have not watched them as much as I want to or used to.

I don't know when that changed, because if you've known me for any length of time, but especially prior to moving to Texas, then you know that I am obsessed with period dramas, historical tv series and movies, and books.  I've done countless posts, shared countless recommendations and if you look at my sidebar, you will also notice that I have lists of tv series, movies, documentaries and books, for you to look through.
 
Retiring from the Air force, moving to Idaho, then moving to Texas, did a number on me.  I don't know why, and have never really understood it, but something changed.  Maybe it was God preparing me for the trials and losses we would face over the past few years, or maybe it was just the change itself from an active duty family to a completely new way of life.
 
Whatever it was, I didn't embrace it and quite frankly, to be brutally honest with you all, I didn't like it, and I still don't.  I miss many things that I had so much love for, and enjoyed doing.  But, I am slowly trying to work my way back to doing the things I love.
 
 
One of those is period dramas.  There is nothing quite like sitting down, and enjoying a wonderful historical walk back in time.  Some period pieces are brutal, and they do tend to have quite a lot of sexual scenes that make me uncomfortable at times.  Though, if you know anything about those days, and have studied some of the history, you will know that it was common, it was normal, it was just a part of life and no one seemed to bat an eyelash at it.
 
Times have changed though, and as much as I love history and sometimes wish I had lived in those days, I can tell you that, that specific part of it, I am glad I avoided hahahah 

Anyway, with that said, I have decided that 2023 is going to be the year of doing what I want to do, watching what I enjoy watching and indulging in the things I want to indulge in.

Period dramas is probably number one on that list.

There are so many good ones just sitting on my watch lists, both on Amazon Prime and Netflix.  I just started making my way through them, and just these past 3 days, I have binge watched Sisi and Women at War.

Both so good, but Sisi is by far my new favorite.  It is a German series about The Empress of Austria, Sisi and her marriage to the Emperor Franz.  The show itself is one of the most visually stunning period dramas, I have seen.  The story, the actors, the costumes and the scenery.....just everything.
 
 
 
As I said above, it is in German, but I was able to watch it dubbed in Spanish.  

I was only able to find it on my Bee TV App on the firestick, and even though it says it has both seasons, it only allowed me to watch the first.  Bummer!!!!

So, I set that one aside for now, and watched Women at War on Netflix.
 


If you enjoyed Bomb Girls, Land Girls and those type of shows centered around the women, and their jobs during the wars, then you will really enjoy this one too.  I am not sure if there will be a second season, I hope there is, but there's only 8 episodes in the first Season, and you can watch it on Netflix.

Some other good ones of this type are:

Home Fires
The Crimson Field
My Mother and other strangers
Anzac Girls

I think all of those can be watched on PBS or Acorn TV.

I'm not sure what my next one is, I'll just pick one from my lists and go with it.  I'll be sure to let you know which one I'm watching, and I also have a new post coming up with new upcoming period dramas to keep an eye on.

Do you enjoy these as well?  What is the most recent one you've watched?



No comments: