Saturday, May 06, 2023

{ Blog 365 #126 - Fun Facts about Saturday }

 

Without a doubt, one of my favorite days of the week, along with Friday and Monday.  I know I may sound weird when I mentioned Monday, but I actually really love Mondays.

But the other day I was wondering about the days of the week and came upon some interesting facts.  Another thing you may find weird about me, but I really love learning and researching and sometimes, I get on the internet and before I know it, I'm down a rabbit hole of some kind.

I guess I just find things interesting that maybe others may not....or they may, who knows, but with that said, here are some cool fun facts about this day of the week.
 

1.   In Scandinavia, Saturday is not named after Saturn. Instead, it is known as Lordag, which translates to bathing day. This is said to be related to the Viking practice of Saturday bathing.
 
I'm pretty sure this is one of the things, I would have most hated about living in those days.  Once a week bath.  Nope!

2.   In Sweden, Saturday is often the only day of the week when young children are allowed to eat candy.
 
3.   In Nepal, Saturday is the last day of the week and is the only official weekly holiday.
 
4.   In folklore, Saturday was often viewed as the best day to hunt vampires, as this was the day of the week when they were restricted to their coffins. It was also believed in the Balkans that if somebody was born on a Saturday then they could see a vampire that was invisible to others, and that these people were the best recruits to become vampire hunters.
 
5.   Saturday is often associated with the color purple. This may be because the planet Saturn, which is associated with Saturday, is also associated with the color purple.  

6.   In some parts of the world, Saturday is the traditional market day. This may include outdoor markets, where vendors sell fresh produce, meat, and other goods, as well as flea markets and antique markets.

1 comment:

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Interesting post.
#6 is true in my neck of the woods as well. It seems to be the big day for farmers markets.