Tuesday, May 09, 2023

{ Blog 365 #129 - Show of the week }

 

Charting the life of Isabella I of Castile, one of the most important women in Spain’s history, Isabel follows her passionate story from childhood to being crowned Queen. From her political struggles within King Henry IV's court to her wedding to Ferdinand of Aragon, the drama encapsulates the passions, emotions and sacrifices of a woman who refused to just be a figurehead and whose outlook was ahead of her time.
 
 
Without a doubt, the show of the week to watch, has to be Isabel.

I have had this one on my list for quite a few years, matter of fact, when it was first released in 2012, I made note of it, but over the years, I forgot about it.  There are so many wonderful shows, especially historical fiction, that it's often hard to keep track of them all.

However, I watched all 3 Seasons of Isabel, over the past week, and I must add it to my favorites.  

It goes without saying that, it is visually stunning, the actors are brilliant, and it brings to life the story of Queen Isabel of Castille, and her husband King Ferdinand II of Aragon.


Even if you are not a history buff, but enjoy historical fiction, this is a must see.  Actually, it became a binge for me.  I could not stop watching, and practically took my laptop with me everywhere, while I did laundry, while I cooked dinner, when I took a long bubble bath, and I also stayed up quite late watching "just one more episode."  We've all been there, and done that right?

Two of my absolute favorite Spanish actors, play the lead.  Queen Isabel is played by Michelle Jenner and King Ferdinand by Rodolfo Sancho. Together, they make a stunning couple that really played on the love the King and Queen felt for each other.

Married for 35 years, they ruled over Castille and Aragon, as a force to be reckoned.

One thing that always strikes me in any of these shows, and especially when they stay true to history and facts, is the immense grief and heartache these people went through.  The stillbirths, the loss of heirs, the cheating and backstabbing, the attacks on their lives, the constant wars.  It is surely a life I would haven't been able to live through......but yet, find completely riveting and fascinating.

If you wish to watch Isabel, you can do so online, with English Subtitles.  I only found one website that is currently showing the series



Trailer:

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 If you enjoyed The Tudors, you will most certainly enjoy this one too.  
 
When you start digging into all this history, and connecting all the King and Queens, it's quite fascinating to see.  In the series, we see the lives of Isabel and Ferdinand's children.  They had 6 all together, but only 5 survived birth, with only 3 surviving later in life.
 
The whole purpose of King and Queens marrying, in those days, was to form alliances and to produce heirs, but quite often, the road to a male heir was not as easy as they hoped for.  What I loved about Ferdinand is that he loved all his children equally, never once forsaking a daughter just because she was not born male and therefore the heir to the throne, everyone wished for.


Together, they had:

Isabella, John, Joanna, Maria and Catherine. Isabella and John died before the Queen without lasting offspring. 
 
Joanna was nicknamed “Joanna the mad” for her mental instability and married Philip the Handsome.   I swear, this guy made me want to reach through the screen and smack him, multiple times.  He was such a horrible man.  
 
 
Catherine of Aragon first married Arthur Tudor, Prince of Wales, and then after his death the brother King Henry VIII of England.  Who doesn't know about King Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon?  One of my absolute favorite Tudor marriages.

As with most marriages in those days, the couple usually never met, couldn't stand each other, didn't feel much love between them and there were multiple mistresses in and out of the King's bed.



Ferdinand did cheat on Isabel multiple times, producing a few children outside of the marriage, but he absolutely adored and loved his wife, and eventually gave himself to the marriage completely, and to ruling alongside the woman he not only loved but admired as a strong, powerful queen.

Isabel on the other hand, adored her husband and would not accept any relationship outside of their marriage, but she was fair and just, and her priority was to Castille and her people.  

In the show, we also get to learn more about the Portuguese Kingdom, the fights, the wars and so on, which to me was wonderful.  I am ashamed to admit that I know more about English Monarchy and history, than I do about my very own Portuguese heritage.  I need to remedy that, immediately.
 
I hope you will give this one a try.  
 

 
The follow up to this show is called Carlos, Rey Emperador.  It follows the story of King Charles, Queen Isabel and King Ferdinand's grandson, who is actually the son of Phillip and Queen Joanna (who was known as Juana La Loca, Joanna the Mad One).
 
It is also available to watch on WLXET.  Also available to watch on RTVE.


 
 

No comments: