Tuesday, May 30, 2023

{ Blog 365 #150 - Our chicken are in their coop }

May 31, 2023

 
As a first time chicken mama, I have to say that the day we moved them outdoors, my heart broke.  I felt like I was putting my child outside in the yard, to fend for themselves.
 
I hardly slept that first night, I kept looking out my bedroom window, to make sure they were ok.  Silly me!   

Of course, as always, it was me who was panicking, because they were quite content being in their new, big chicken coop, with lots of space to run around.
 

May 31, 2023

 
They should have gone out sooner, but so much was going on here at home, that we didn't have the run fully sealed off, and didn't want to take any chances.
 
For the moment, as they get used to being outdoors, we have placed their little coop, in the big run, and they are only too happy to go in and sleep when it's nighttime.
 
I thought I would have to train them to go to bed, but they trained themselves while still in the house, with us.  The minute it started getting a little dark, they would all climb in and put themselves to bed.  Smart chickens we have.
 
So, let me show you how our babies are doing.....they are huge right now.  Henry the rooster is the biggest one, and he has really taken to being the owner and ruling the roost.  It's quite funny watching him with the two girls.


May 31, 2023

May 31, 2023

May 31, 2023

 
Kaia loves the chickens. She is not aggressive towards them at all, and I think that is due to the fact that she watched them grow, indoors, and got used to them. 
 
However, she IS curious and sometimes gets her nose too close to the fence, which then gets pecked by the chicks.   She just pulls back immediately and walks away  Hahaha
 
 
May 31, 2023

May 31, 2023

May 31, 2023

May 31, 2023

May 31, 2023
 
 
I love them all, but I have to be honest and say that my boy Henry, has a special place in my heart.  He always comes running to me, and loves getting petted.  
 
The coop in the back of the run, will eventually become their main one, but for the moment, we are not allowing them near it, as it needs a bit of work.
 
Some of the trim needs to be replaced, the nesting box needs to be fixed and the latch replaced, and other little bits here and there.  Oh the roof, it needs to be removed, fixed and replaced.  So, quite a bit, but they have the other coop which they love, and are used to.

May 31, 2023 
 
We plan on planting some plants around the coop, plants that are beneficial to chickens and not harmful at all.  So far we have some Thyme planted by the door to the run.  
 
This morning, we also added in a small swing for them.  They haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure soon we will see them enjoying it.  On top of the run, we have some misters which we also want to attach, to help them cool off a little during the summer months.
 
I'll have to take a photo of the coop at night, it looks so pretty with the lights we have hanging.  
 
I hope you enjoyed seeing our chickens, and how much they've grown.  Makes me wish I had gotten chickens many years ago, because I am absolutely in love with these babies.  So much fun being a chicken mama ♥

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I enjoyed seeing your gorgeous chickens! They really are beauties and you have a nice set up for them.