Sunday, June 04, 2023

{ Blog 365 #155 - Sunday School - Discipleship Lesson 1 }


 
I recently started attending my church Sunday school.  I didn't know how I would feel about it at first, but I am actually loving it, and most of the time, feel like I get more out that lesson, than I do the actual sermon.

I guess that is normal for some of us.  Although I appreciate the Pastor's word, I am a person that loves learning, and learning more in depth.  

With that in mind, I thought that I would start doing a blog Sunday School, to help me study more, and to also help keep my blog post count up during this year's Blog 365.  I came across a wonderful resource for Sunday school lessons, online, and will be following that.

If you want to read, and come back every Sunday to discuss your thoughts, that would be wonderful.  You can leave your comments below and I'll surely enjoy reading through them.  If not, that is ok too, I am doing this for myself, but of course, if I feel led to do it, it must mean someone, even just one of you out there, will benefit from it.  When God pushes us to do something, even if, and especially if, we never thought of doing it before......it means there is a purpose for it.  

So, beginning today, every Sunday I will post the lesson.  I am actually quite excited about this, hope you are too.  

LESSON 1
 
SEEKING CHRIST

Scripture Text: John 1:35-51

This is a thirteen-week course of study of how Jesus Christ influences the
lives of men and women who seek and find Him. We will study the different
forms of response and varied experiences of early disciples of Christ so that
we may more easily understand ways in which He reveals Himself to those
who seek Him.

MEMORY VERSE: We have found the Messias. —John 1:41
 

Straight Gospel Preaching Causes Men to Seek Christ
 

The reason for preaching the Gospel is to cause a hunger in people for Christ. It was John the Baptist who said, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world" (John 1:29).  John and Andrew left following John the Baptist and began to follow Christ. The sermons we hear in church must be put into action before they will help us find Christ. The way we respond to a message determines what we receive from it. A message, like a road map, only points the way we should go; it does not force us to go.
When we obey a Holy Spirit anointed message, it always leads us to Christ, the Lamb of God.
 
The lamb held an important place in Jewish worship, both in daily temple worship and in feast days.  
 

Personal Faith Helps People Find Christ
 

Andrew and John found Jesus because they believed and acted on what they had heard. After finding Him, they were convinced He was the Christ.  This one message led to the change in their lives.  This incident shows the great value of church attendance and listening to the Gospel message. What might have been if these men had gone fishing, or anywhere else, instead of going to hear John the Baptist preach?  

John and Andrew, as have many others, found Christ was easy to find when they sought Him honestly and sincerely in faith. Christ makes definite changes in the inner man, and that causes a change in the outer man. 

If Christ were to ask you, "What seek ye?" what would be your answer?  
 

Personal Evangelism Helps People Find Christ
 

What was it that caused Andrew to go to Peter and bring him to Jesus?  Was it his love for Christ? Was it his love for Peter? Was it not his love for both? This is the secret to the success of personal evangelism. After men find Christ, it is natural that they want to help others find Him as well.  

 
We Become Like the People Whom We Follow


When we follow Christ, we become like Him. If we follow the world, we will become like it. The greatest challenge in life is to seek and find Jesus.
Have you found Him?
 

JUST A THOUGHT
The lazy man aims at nothing
and usually hits it.

No comments: