Thursday, April 09, 2009

Slow Cooking Thursday

I apologize for posting this so late, I have some sort of stomach bug going on and was not well at all this morning....I'm finally able to get up and around. Hope you understand :)

EDIT: I'm so sorry, I left out the name of the recipe....I'm adding it now!


Don't forget to add your name to Mr Linky and a link back to your SCT post so others can come by and see your recipe too.

As always, share your slow cooking recipes but if you REALLY REALLY don't have one and still want to participate, then you can share any kind of recipe.

gumbo
Credit: Simplemom.net

Crockpot Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup oil
3 cups water
12 ounces cooked sausage links, sliced
1/2 cups diced cooked chicken (from my weekly roast chicken)
2 cups sliced okra or 10-ounce package frozen okra
1 cup onion, diced (about 1 large)
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
3 cups hot cooked rice

To make the roux, stir together oil and flour in a medium saucepan until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more until it’s a dark, reddish-brown color. Cool.

Place water in a Crock Pot and add roux; stir. Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, pepper, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours, or on high heat for 3 hours. Skim off the fat, and serve over rice.


16 comments:

SnoWhite said...

hope you are feeling better!

Renee said...

Get well soon!

Conny said...

feel better soon!!!

Lori said...

Oh no! Feel better! :)

Lynn said...

I hope you feel better soon.

The Raggedy Girl said...

Hi:
I was just stopping by to see what you were up to. For some silly reason my hand, which was so much better, is really hurting today so I am not up to typing. So I made this little message to let you know I still came by...and I loved your post because I always do!

Roberta Anne...The Raggedy Girl

Sorry you are not well...Praying for you!

Pamela said...

You're really not feeling well, Sandra, I can tell because you haven't told us what this delicious-looking dish is called. I'm thinking Jambalaya Soup?

Feel better soon.

Christy said...

I just happened upon your blog - it is really well done. I will be spending too much time looking around me-thinks! I linked to Spicy Potato Soup and for the record my 8 children think this is quite yummy.
Christy
hope you get feeling better.

Mari said...

Sorry you are sick - get better quick!

Jen said...

Get well soon! Thank you for hosting this...especially being sick.

kolfinnas korner said...

This looks yummy! Hope you get to feeling better!

Keeper of the Home said...

Prayers for a speedy recovery going out.

Sorry I didn't post my link on here earlier, I posted the recipe early this morning before I left the house and have been gone A-L-L day. So glad to be home!

Susanne said...

Sorry you weren't feeling well this morning, Sandra. I hope all is better now! The recipe looks delish!

Melonie said...

Yuck - what a way to wake up! I hope you are feeling much better now. :-)

Debra said...

Yum! I love Gumbo and have never seen a crockpot recipe for it, so I can't wait to try this. Just wondering....instead of link sausage, have you ever used Kielbasa sausage or any other kind of sausage?

Thanks for sharing the recipe with us and I do hope you get to feeling better soon!

Peggy said...

I hope you are feeling much better today!