Thursday, January 26, 2012

{ Cooking Thursday }

Morning everyone :)

So today for our Cooking Thursday, I'm bringing you one of my favorites and also something that takes me back to my childhood in South Africa.  Best street food ever....Bunny Chow!


cookingthursday
If you want to use the picture, just click here for the original.

Bunny Chow


Homemade Bread Bowls

1/2 cup water (70 to 80 degrees F)
1 cup warm milk (70 to 80 degrees F)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast

In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into six portions; shape into balls. Place on greased baking sheets.

Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bunny Chow

Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Bunny Chow

Cool on wire racks.

Bunny Chow

To make bowl, cut the top fourth off of bread; carefully hollow out bottom of each, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).

Bunny Chow

I’m keeping mine to make some homemade bread crumbs as I’m running pretty low :)


Now for the filling, you can find a gazillion different versions out there, it really depends on what you like….but this is how I made mine tonight, just kept it very simple but it was still really good :)


Bunny Chow Filling

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
2 small tomatoes, finely diced
chopped garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons curry powder

In a skillet, add a little bit of olive oil and the garlic, cook for a minute or so, don’t let the garlic burn though. Add the ground beef and cook until brown. Add the onion and tomatoes, salt and pepper and curry powder. At this point I like to add a little bit of water, not much but enough to give it a little bit of gravy and not allow it to dry up.

Bunny Chow

Cook for about 15 minutes for the flavors to combine well. Check frequently and stir, also remember to keep adding a little bit of water at a time, you want to end with a nice consistency and definitely a bit of gravy in there, just don’t add too much, you don’t want it soupy.

I know I’m horrible at writing recipes, I am such a visual and do-er person that writing it down is hard for me. :)

Once done, scoop into the bread bowls and serve immediately :)


Bunny Chow


6 comments:

Mariann Quintanilla said...

Sounds Yummy! I want to try these this weekend. Thanks for sharing Sandra.

Amanda @ Traditional Foods said...

This looks delicious!

Thanks for hosting! I shared a post on how to use coconut flour and one on foods for depression

Mari said...

This looks so good! I have a fear of yeast recipes, but I may have to try this one!

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!

Debbi

Kim, USA said...

Oh my sorry Sandra, I mistakenly put my name on the link. Kindly delete it. I wanted to comment here but put my name to the linky ^_^. The bread looks very delicious thanks for the recipe too.


Kim, USA

Amanda said...

Hi Sandra,
Ive been a long time lurker of your blog, for over a year and a half now, and have never left a comment. I found your blog when searching on line for support for stay at home moms. I resonate alot with your posts, because I too prefer the old ways of being a homemaker, creating a home, a homestead, vs just a place to drop your bag at the end of the day. I too will be homeschooling, probably more unschooling then actual direct teaching, my 2 sons, who are now 3 and 4 1/2. My husband is from South Africa, Umhlanga Rocks to be exact. I am always trying to make his home country foods, and love to make new recipes, bake, etc. I have to say, I can perfect a good curry and milktert. :) Now I can add this to my list as well, looks awesome and he is always happy with anything SA.
Thanks for writing and making the time for your blog. Women, people, like me, find support in you knowing we are not alone in our journey.
Lots of love to you and yours.
Amanda (Mandy)
San Diego