Thursday, January 26, 2012

Some days

I have a sick husband at home.  He started feeling like he was coming down with a cold yesterday and by bedtime he was burning up with a fever, had body aches and was just plain miserable.

Unfortunately being military, he can't just call in and say "hey I'm not well, I won't be there today".....unless he wants the SP's knocking at the door.  HA!

2012_01260006

So early this morning, I got up with him at 5am, made him some coffee, fixed his lunch, gave him some medicine and sent him off to work.  It broke my heart to see him walk out the door when all I wanted was for him to climb back into bed and rest.

I then cleaned up after his lunch making, made myself a cup of coffee and started the laundry....by then I did start feeling a little peckish so, I decided to make some Cinnamon Roll Toast for breakfast. If you've never tried it, you don't know what you're missing, it's quick to put together and really does taste like a Cinnamon Roll.

2012_01260010

Within minutes the kids were up and in the kitchen asking what was smelling so good :)  That's a sure way to get them out of bed right?

I set about my homemaking and around 9:30 am, my hubby comes walking in the door.  He looked so sick, I'm glad he was able to come home and get some much needed rest, I don't know what good he could have been at work while running a fever.

2012_01260044

That of course set me into mommy mode and making sure that he was well taken care of. First up a nice hot cup of tea with honey and lemon....

2012_01260013

some cold meds and as soon as he was on the couch relaxing I set about making some chicken soup. His favorite? Chicken, bacon and rice. It is SO yummy and sure to knock out whatever bug is ailing him.

2012_01260017

While that was simmering on the stove, I had my bread machine going, making some more of the bread bowl dough. The family love it so much and yesterday requested that I make more, lots more because they don't want to share LOL

2012_01260024

Unfortunately for me, I have not only the sick hubby, but a little 8 year old who has been sniffling since yesterday, he hasn't gotten sick yet but was complaining that his head hurt, so homeschooling was set aside today in order for all the sickies in the house to get well :)

That gave mommy some spare time to work on my new Daisy Square Pillow. I am loving it so much.

2012_01260029

I kind of stepped out of my comfort zone a bit, I'm using colors I don't usually go for, if you've seen my projects I tend to stick with colors that are very close to Cath Kidston's....but I'm so glad I picked these, they work wonderfully together.

2012_01260036

I decided to go with two tones of purple and then do a white border on each....really makes them pop doesn't it?

And since this has been a soup kinda day, hubby requested Clam Chowder for dinner, so that's what I made. The recipe I tried had quite a bit of bacon and as much as I love bacon, I just felt that it was a bit too much, it almost completely hid the clam flavor. But, it was delicious, oh my. Next time though, less bacon, or none altogether :)

2012_01260041

By the way, both the recipes for the bread and the clam chowder are on the food blog. :)

And now, I have to go apply some more ointment to Lola's eye. It looks so much better, it's almost completely healed but not quite, we have another appointment tomorrow and we've already prepared ourselves to hear that it's not healed and she has to be referred to the Ophthalmologist. *sigh*

Honestly though, it's only been a week and half and she fights us so much that I feel she's not getting as much of the ointment in there as she should, so obviously it will take longer to heal.  Finger crossed for the appointment tomorrow.

Time for this mama to go take care of her animal baby, her human baby and her human hubby and then take herself to bed with a good book.  Hope you all have a great night, and don't forget tomorrow we have the Friday Favorites, would love to see something special that you have :)

5 comments:

Conservative Knit Mom said...

I hope your dear husband is better soon. Your blog is so lovely. thanks for sharing the recipes!

Unknown said...

what a wonderful wife...He surely is blessed...Hope he will feel better...Sounds like a wonderful day of homemaking. Blessings sweetie...Mica

Tina Leigh said...

It's hard having kids sick but for me, the hardest is having my better half sick! It is truly a hard thing for me!! Be careful with the cold meds as they have a lot of Tylenol (acetaminophen) in them and pretty high doses at that. We are seeing overdoses of it more frequently in the hospital now.
The TLC you are giving is bound to make all the sickies run for cover!!

Meg said...

I love the blog. I do have one question - I've seen you mention pinterest.com several times and I love it (it's a major time sink for me!).

How does one go about getting an invite to pinterest? I've filled out the request and nothing happens - maybe I'm missing a step?

Olyvia Smiles said...

praying everyone is doing/feeling better from the yuckies.

hugs