Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My favorite time of day.....


As I sit here doing the dishes, I have the most beautiful sunset outside. It always makes me smile and it kinda brings the day to an end for me, sort of like packing my life into a little box for the night.

All the stresses, all the daily activities, everything just neatly organized and stashed away until the next morning.

So today Jasmine had a field trip, they visited some Heart Center to learn about the Heart and how to take care of it etc.

I don't think I have to tell you moms *and dads* that every time your child is not with you, you think about them and you wonder where they are and what they're doing and if they're safe.

I guess you could call me a mother hen, because I truly get nervous when one of the kids goes anywhere that is not with me or my husband or another family member.

The thought of bus rides and being in an unaccessible area to me, drives me completely bonkers. Sometimes I feel just ridiculous for feeling this way, but what can I do, it's the mommy in me wanting my babies near all the time.

One thing that I'm extremely proud of is the fact that my children know responsibility and they know the importance of keeping in touch no matter where they are, so it didn't surprise me when my cellphone beeped just before lunch time with a message from Jasmine letting me know that the tour was over and they were on the bus heading back to school.

And then, another text about 45 minutes later, just a simple few words "I'm back at school".

Nothing special about what she texted but it made me smile, the fact that my 10 year old had the sense to send me the messages knowing that I would be worried, just warms my heart. Truly makes me think that I'm doing a good job with my children, which of course again, if you're a parent you know how we constantly question ourselves and our choices. We judge ourselves far too harshly at times.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you what I've been up to today.

I was contemplating watching American Idol but for the first time in years I don't even feel like watching it....how weird?

I may just read or make it an early night and hop into my warm bed and wait for the rain to start.

Have a great night!

9 comments:

Mari said...

What a great kid! Hope she had fun too.
I'm not watching AI either. I'm hooked on Biggest Loser!

Sandra said...

Don't you feel special when God gives you a beautiful sunset like that!!!!!!!.......It causes a song of praise to Him come out of your mouth!!!!
I know how you feel about your children. I was the same way with mine and there is nothing wrong with that. They have grown up to be very responsible adults and sounds like your daughter is a responsible young girl.

Sylvia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charee Nickel Kinser said...

I dont know how some are excited and relieved to have their kids out of their hands! I dropped my 4.5 year old at Awana last night and felt a little lost, and nervous just leaving her! But I know that God protects her, and I pray for his will!

Unknown said...

Sandra, sounds like you are doing an awesome job of raising responsible children! I know how hard it is to let them out of your sight. I have a teenager and a 3rd grader and I worry constantly about what kind of influences they experience at school, from their friends...ugh... All I can do is pray that God will protect them!

Anonymous said...

Me too. I'm a worrier and a mother hen. My Mum said to me recently that I remind her of a hen! Lol.

Enjoy your cosy bed and have a nice rest. x

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Awww, so sweet of your daughter to let you know, and what a great job you're doing to instill that in her :)

We're not going to watch American Idol this time either... just blogged about that yesterday! We do have tons of other shows we watch though, so we're definitely not lacking for something to watch (or other stuff to fill up the DVR with) :)

Christina said...

I think it's pretty neat that Jasmine thinks of you and remembers to text you so you don't have to worry. Pamela said that she read that parents who text with their kids have better communitcatin with each other. You can't beat that. I worry to about my kids the same way. It's hard to let them go, even if it's only on a field trip. It's like no one can take care of our kids like we do.

I caved, I'm watching American Idol.

Tina Leigh said...

So dont scream or laugh at me.....she has a cell phone?!? I know...I'm a bit behind the times!