Friday, January 29, 2010

Personalized CD/DVD Covers!

DVD Covers

I always have a stack of DVD's and CD's on hand for when I want to backup photos or movies or music etc.

The one thing that I really don't like about it is that they don't bring any sort of box or cover, you always end up with a gazillion discs just laying around, waiting to be scratched and filled with fingerprints from sticky little hands. Blech!

At first I started buying the little white sleeves, but then I realized, you know, I want to personalize them, using different colors and lettering and pictures etc.....besides, it's cheaper to make them myself.

I'm sure most of you already know how to do this but in case you don't, here's a super simple tutorial to show you.

I now use these for birthdays and Christmas gifts too, even Valentine's day to hold a CD filled with mine and hubby's favorite songs, the ones that have special meaning or take us back to a certain place and time.

DVD Covers

First thing you need to do is grab one of the old white sleeves and carefully pull it apart, so now you're left with the template.

DVD Covers

I'm going to use the polka dot paper. You can use whatever paper you have on hand, but I like using Scrapbooking paper which is a little sturdier.

Turn your paper around with the front facing down. Lay the template on the back and trace with a pencil. Cut out the template.

DVD Covers

Then using a little bit of glue, fold the paper following the template.

DVD Covers

DVD Covers

At this point you can go ahead and either keep it really simple and just add the title, or you can go all out and add printed pictures or lace or buttons or whatever. For these I kept them super simple.

DVD Covers

DVD Covers

They're are so much fun to make and really fast too, I'm going to continue making mine and once I have them all done I'll post another picture.

Go on now, go have some fun, get the kids involved too, I've actually made two plain white sleeves that my kiddos are drawing pictures on after school, how fun will that be?

11 comments:

Pamela said...

What a great tutorial! These would be great made from holiday-specific paper when you want to give a CD or DVD you've made as a gift.

Jamie said...

It's so crazy that you posted this today! I am just about to make some photo cds and don't have any sleeves for them. I can't wait to try this! Thanks for the tip.

Mari said...

I'm so impressed! Those are the cutest things ever. I'm going to have to make a few.

Mary said...

That's awsome! I have tons of discs in the plain white sleeves scattered by our computer. Thanks for posting this. I can also do this for CDs for my little one. Use a cute little girl paper for her music. :)

erin said...

These are so cute..love it.

Jamie said...

I did it and they turned out adorable!! Thanks again, Sandra.

Bonnie said...

These are soooo cute !!!!!! What a great idea !!

P. said...

Nice idea.
Alfazema

Unknown said...

Very cool idea, I may do this. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Anna said...

I'm passing along a bloggey award to you!
Hope you can play along! http://kolfinnaskorner.blogspot.com/2010/01/im-so-excited.html

Amedy said...

Looks so beautifull and creative love it